July, 2014 Monthly Freebie Challenge - Punk

DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
edited July 2014 in Freebies

Welcome to the July “Punk” freebie challenge. For this challenge the focus will be on the punk subculture. I will be looking for images that characterize things like anti-establishment views and the promotion of individual freedom. This can manifest itself through fashion, music, interfaces between punk and traditional cultures. You can go for a 50's punk, a 90's punk or a punk of today. You can do a rebel without a cause or a kid just enjoying his favorite punk band. For this challenge, you must create a punk scene. It can be a portrait, it can be a street scene, or it can be an image of the lastest fashions in the punk world. Toon renders depicting the genre are also acceptable. Cookie and Chip as Natalie and James would be so charming. Good luck and by all means have fun.

The rules are posted here:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286/. As BWSman says, "Please read them good....."

An exception this month:
I am going to change up the rules for the paid fors requirement. I want to try to pull in artist's freebies that we don't normally see. So I am dangling a carrot to see what comes of this.

For this month a paid for will not count towards the 3 paid fors limit if you associate a freebie (used in the render) directly designed for the paid for item (used in the render). An example would be if you use Isabelle for Genesis by Jabba then Evolution Head and Body morph packs do not count towards your limit of three. The freebie artist must identify somehow such as in the read me or description that the paid for is required to use the freebie. I am disallowing freebie/paid fors that provide better material settings for Poser, DAZ, Bryce etc. Although of invaluable use, I don't think that these kind of freebies fit the spirit of offering the community a true new and different product and therefore should not counter the use of the paid for in the context of this contest.

Format should be a link to the freebie and then "using" and then the link to the paid for. Link format is not limited. Use what ever you are comfortable with. What is required is the word "using" followed by the paid for. I will be checking the associated freebie for proof that the paid for does indeed be needed for the freebie to work. Below are examples of what I expect to see in your qualifying description of your render.

Punk Angel(halfway down the page) using Angel of Light for Aiko 3.0

*Isabelle for Genesis by Jabba using Evolution Head and Body morph packs
*resitration required

Cho identifies the requirement in her categorey title of the freebie and Jabba in the sharecg description of the freebie.

Now…Prizes.

The prizes are from DAZ3D & Jaderail:
1st Place - $15 GC from DAZ3D and $20 GC from Jaderail
2nd Place - $12 GC from DAZ3D and $15 GC from Jaderail
3rd Place $8 GC from DAZ3D and $10 GC from Jaderail
HMs - $5 GCs from yours truly: DollyGirl and Jaderail

Anyone wanting to donate prizes we will accept them most gladly. Just tell me who you want to give them too.

Important:

A note to all our winners, you must PM Jaderail that you have won and what place you are in. If you are the 1st 2nd or 3rd place winners, you must PM me with your DAZ account e-mail address so that DAZ can credit your account.

My judges:
Szark
Music2u4u
Any one else?

Items used in the banner, in case you need some things to use.

Paid for:
Hiro 3.0 by DAZ 3D http://www.daz3d.com/hiro-3-0

Free:
Anko Base Figure by Aziqo 3574 http://poserfreebie.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-34.html
Clothing Set 01 by Aziqo 3574 http://poserfreebie.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-35.html
Clothing Set 02 by Aziqo 3574 http://poserfreebie.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-36.html
Hiro Boys by Ruslan Nasrutdinov http://www.sharecg.com/v/15395/browse/11/Poser/Hiro-Boys
Mohican Hair (Norota, M3RR) by Aziqo 3574 http://poserfreebie.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-5.html
mono culture by Vintageadzan http://www.sharecg.com/v/36237/gallery/11/Poser/mono-culture

Post edited by DollyGirl on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

yeah put me down for a judge if you want. I am sure I will respond favourably to bribes of any sort. :)

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

The winners for the June challenge have been announced!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41978/P270/#636069

edited December 1969

I can help judge also if you like.

:-)

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

Hiro 3 (in the banner) would be a Base Figure and no-count.

I like the banner. I might even enter something.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    yeah put me down for a judge if you want. I am sure I will respond favourably to bribes of any sort. :)

Thanks Szark. You are most kind.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I can help judge also if you like.

Oh yeah, I want you too. Thanks Music.

edited December 1969

Hiro 3 (in the banner) would be a Base Figure and no-count.

I like the banner. I might even enter something.

Oh sorry, my intent was to just list the stuff I used but you gave me an idea Eustace. It would be good to make the banner an example of what an entry should be composed of just to help those new to the challenge understand what they will have to do to get an entry accepted.
    I say that because I used Hiro Boys by Ruslan Nasrutdinov. I had my opportunity and missed it! Good catch and thanks.

I would love to see some of your work in here. Punks come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Why I bet even Louie da Man has some pictures of Louie da Boy tucked away somewhere.

edited December 1969

THANK YOU Kendall!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Szark said:

Thanks Szark. You are most kind.No problem at all.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited July 2014

Oh, this sounds like a fun theme!

I'll admit up-front that I might not show you what you're expecting, though. Here's a description of punk that I got from a punk physicist when talking about steampunk:

"Having been the sort of punk with pointy hair and leather, I'll bite. It has to do with the most fundamental (perhaps only) "punk principle": Do it yourself. Adopt your way of dressing, playing guitar, living, etc. rather than the established way. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't about rejecting society . . . rather, it's about not accepting the prevailing norms as a script. You pick and choose the elements you want, and you leave behind the ones you don't want.
    I think [Girl Genius] somewhat lacks the sense of choice I'd expect in a "punk" genre. Everybody seems to be playing a part in a family history, a society, or a conspiracy. Nobody is blowing it all off, clearing his or her mind, and making choices."

Hmmmmm... your changing the rules this month to suit the challenge better can be seen as punk, by that definition.

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Oh, this sounds like a fun theme!

I'll admit up-front that I might not show you what you're expecting, though. Here's a description of punk that I got from a punk physicist when talking about steampunk:

"Having been the sort of punk with pointy hair and leather, I'll bite. It has to do with the most fundamental (perhaps only) "punk principle": Do it yourself. Adopt your way of dressing, playing guitar, living, etc. rather than the established way. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't about rejecting society . . . rather, it's about not accepting the prevailing norms as a script. You pick and choose the elements you want, and you leave behind the ones you don't want.
    I think [Girl Genius] somewhat lacks the sense of choice I'd expect in a "punk" genre. Everybody seems to be playing a part in a family history, a society, or a conspiracy. Nobody is blowing it all off, clearing his or her mind, and making choices."

Hmmmmm... your changing the rules this month to suit the challenge better can be seen as punk, by that definition.

Oh my. Had not thought about that aspect. I believe I have created an oxymoron. Well I did say contrary to the establishment. So I am game to doing something different. Just remember no matter how contrary you get you still have to live by the Terms of Service rules. Rules is rules even the punks live by them. They just don't know it. ;-)

edited July 2014

Since the theme this month is PUNKS....do you feel lucky?....oh not that kind...ok. All punkers need a guitar to rock out on and they usually pick some nice ones to destroy. So, I am offering my donation for this month.

I will donate my "Gibson Birdland" guitar to the winner of this month. It is the same kind of guitar that Ted Nugent used all thos Gonzo shows he did. I think he was a punk ahead of his time...still is...lol.

I also want to remind all the newbies that here at the Daz site, they issue a new freebie every Tuesday, evey week to all Platinum members along with a coupon you can use in the store for any Daz items. This means you get your membership fee almost completely back if you use them properly. Not to mention tons of regular priced items reduced down to $1.99 to boot. I encourage everyone to consider joining the PC as a member and see for yourself the amazing savings you will get. Go check it out.

GibsonBirdlandGuitarDaz4.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 164K
    GibsonBirdlandGuitarDaz2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 59K
    GibsonBirdlandGuitarDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 105K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Music a very nice gift. What punk would be without their favorite guitar.

edited December 1969

So I just got done reading DS Creative, The magazine for Daz Studio fans. You can see what they have to offer, contests, freebies, tutorials, and some beautiful renders, here. You have to join the facebook group to get access to the magazine I think.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    So I just got done reading DS Creative, The magazine for Daz Studio fans. You can see what they have to offer, contests, freebies, tutorials, and some beautiful renders, here. You have to join the facebook group to get access to the magazine I think.

Boo!

Dana

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2014

There is a PSD version, I will see if I can find the direct link

Edited to add Dana sent you a PM.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649
    edited December 1969

Haven't been here for a while and thought I'd drop in and see what is going on this month. Punk - sounds good to me! I will try something. :-)

Do the free items using the paid-for items count toward the 10 required free items?

edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    Haven't been here for a while and thought I'd drop in and see what is going on this month. Punk - sounds good to me! I will try something. :-)

Do the free items using the paid-for items count toward the 10 required free items?

Yes they do.

edited December 1969

Luci45 said:

WOW...hey Luci45...long time no see. Hope you are doing well. Good to see you up in here!

**throws a chocolate cream pie and runs and hides under the bed!**

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Got it. Seems to be a Flash thing, not PDF. I sent it to my favorites, though. Thanks.

Dana

edited July 2014

To those that celebrate the 4th of July, Happy Independence Day.

Post edited by DollyGirl on
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    To those that celebrate the 4th of July, Happy Independence Day.

So I have a little something for those people that enter the contest. It is not Punk related but it is what I am currently working on. I call it Fantasy Tiara and Earrings. The tiara and earrings are props that come into the scene at the correct position for V4 in the zero position. Formats are DAZ Studio 4.6, 3.0, and Poser. I have provided a gold set and a silver set. The objects take shaders really well and you can get some really neat results by just playing around. I still need to package it up but it looks like I have some time yet.
    So how it works. Once your image is accepted I will be PMing you with a link to the package. Below is a DAZ 4.6 render of the default gold settings under uber lights. Studio 3 and Poser will have slightly different default settings.

Nice!

Dana

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Is it that day again.

4th_July_dog.jpg
    1280 x 848 - 254K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    chohole said:

Got it. Seems to be a Flash thing, not PDF. I sent it to my favorites, though. Thanks.

Dana
    There is a PDF format Dana. Just click on the Share link, and then the Download link on the Share page.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    DanaTA said:
    chohole said:

Dana

There is a PDF format Dana. Just click on the Share link, and then the Download link on the Share page.

Seems you have to log in to do that. I'm not in a hurry to sign up for more things. Maybe in a few days. Thanks.

Dana

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:

Signed up, see the "Share", don't see the "download", just a direct link URL for the same page.

Is the magazine downloadable from Facebook?

At any rate, I now seem to be signed up for a publisher's warehouse full of magazines I don't want.

• katfeetekatfeete Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

"Nightclubbing"

Free items:

1) RAMWorks Morphs for Genesis
    2) DieTrying's 182 V4 Morphs (converted by SickleYield)*
    3) yakchat's Ravish* (skin only)
    4) Propschick's Autumn Hair*
    5) Adzan's MonoCulture*
    6) Wayii's Up In Arms textures using Dark Thorn
    7) Inception8's Cutie Skull Earrings
    8) atrion666's Genesis Septum Ring*
    9) Thorne's Pook Beer*
    10) Table by Wilmap*
    11) Cup by Tim Polmear
    12) 3dc's Simple Used Ashtray*
    13) Bad Faerie's Steampunk Corridor Part 10* (there are a lot more parts to this, by the way -- check out the full portfolio for the rest of this awesome set.)
    14) Georgehaze's Ultimate Shader Pack*
    15) Glass Shaders by Morgan Lewis

Paid Items:
    Stephanie 5
    AoA's Advanced DAZ Studio Lights
    Gen3 Iconic Shapes for Genesis (for Monoculture conversion)

Undeclared:
    Genesis
    Plaid Armchair by SAM3D -- I think this was a Rendo Christmas freebie a few years ago? I can't find it now anywhere. :(
    Wood Shaders by Marieah -- I'm nearly sure these were part of the 2011 DAZ Christmas Giveaway, but I can't get into the forum thread to see if the file's still there. All I get is CloudFlare. :P

Thank you! Let me know if I missed anything....

Clubbing.png
    763 x 1100 - 908K
    edited December 1969

katfeete said:

Nice one! Interesting lighting. I like the way the colors play!

Dana

edited July 2014

The theme this month was "PUNK".

accordingly, THIS is PUNK....Harajuku style even (Japan), well known worldwide . Also the other is called "Mayanmar and Burma" style (Layos,Thailand,China,India). There are many more styles from other countries. The bottom one is American Punk. So that means that "PUNK" is a certain lifestyle and look. Just for those of you who are not sure what "PUNK" is.

MV_AmericanPunk1.jpg
    600 x 300 - 44K
    tumblr_m80u8zZAyK1ql2f1mo1_1280.jpg
    850 x 565 - 161K
    Harajuku-Punks-Mohawk-Pogo-2013-10-27-DSC7846-b.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 546K
    Post edited by music2u4u on