Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    SmallFry said:
    While rendering a scene with lots of ice, I found I was getting a memory allocation error when Caustics was turned on. Nothing special, just the default settings, but it'd get through about 12% of the render and then crash.

Using the latest 8.5 update. Currently rendering with Caustics turned off to see if it might be something else. I'll file a bug report.

I doubt it is the caustics. I've done several renders with caustics enabled and in fact have one going now. Can't say that I recommend caustics with dynamic hair in the scene (one render took 14.5 days), but it renders for me without crashing.

Let's see... I had Sky Light enabled, Indirect Light enabled and set up for Ambient Occlusion only, a couple of Anything Glows lights, and Caustics. All this on a WinXP PC that's about 5 years old. It's a scene filled with ice slides, a Stonemason building set, about 6 LoRez figures, 2 Mike3 figures with clothing, and a partridge in a pear tree. I was able to render an image in the previous release but I thought I'd add all sorts of bells and whistles to see what it'd look like. Here's the render before it crashed:

Doc1.jpg
    600 x 450 - 38K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

SmallFry said:
    While rendering a scene with lots of ice, I found I was getting a memory allocation error when Caustics was turned on. Nothing special, just the default settings, but it'd get through about 12% of the render and then crash.

Using the latest 8.5 update. Currently rendering with Caustics turned off to see if it might be something else. I'll file a bug report.

EDIT: you posted before me, answering some of my questions....

Looks cool!

And if you need to complete the scene maybe you could reduce the Maximum Ray Depth in the Render Room?

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    de3an said:
    Holly and Thoromyr are both running Mac OS 10.7.4. Holly is experiencing the problem, while Thoromyr is not.
    If OpenGL is updated as part of the OS then they should both be running the same version. However, if different versions of OpenGL are installed based on which graphics card is installed, maybe that could be it. Or maybe different graphics cards themselves could be a problem.

I'm using a 15" mid 2009 macbook pro with nvidia geforce 9400M. OpenGL Driver Monitor 1.5, OpenGL Profiler 4.2 and OpenGL Shader Builder 2.1 (system information, Software > Applications).

Mac Mini (early 2009) NVIDIA GeForce 9400... (the other items you list I am about a .x version behind yours, and some threw warnings when I tried to launch them (version mismatch)... Can I force an update on my OpenGL drivers?

Heard about 32bit issues on video drivers in Mountain Lion so I did not upgrade yet. Only change for me is the 172 beta.

edited December 1969

SmallFry said:

EDIT: you posted before me, answering some of my questions....

Looks cool!

And if you need to complete the scene maybe you could reduce the Maximum Ray Depth in the Render Room?

Thanks, holly. I'll try that next.

Do you think performance might improve if I render the Caustics and Ambient Occlusion to separate layers?

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    thoromyr said:
    SmallFry said:

I doubt it is the caustics. I've done several renders with caustics enabled and in fact have one going now. Can't say that I recommend caustics with dynamic hair in the scene (one render took 14.5 days), but it renders for me without crashing.

Let's see... I had Sky Light enabled, Indirect Light enabled and set up for Ambient Occlusion only, a couple of Anything Glows lights, and Caustics. All this on a WinXP PC that's about 5 years old. It's a scene filled with ice slides, a Stonemason building set, about 6 LoRez figures, 2 Mike3 figures with clothing, and a partridge in a pear tree. I was able to render an image in the previous release but I thought I'd add all sorts of bells and whistles to see what it'd look like. Here's the render before it crashed:

Sounds like you are trying to do more than Carrara 32-bit can handle. I'm guessing 32-bit from your WinXP comment, but obviously if you are running 64-bit this doesn't apply. I frequently hit the limits of 32-bit memory addressing in Carrara and have to move the project to my macbook where I have 64-bit capability.

Note, scenes that render in a previous version may not in the latest. I hit this within one from C7.2 that I tried to re-render when C8 came out -- C8 requires more memory and it simply can't render the scene. I wouldn't be surprised if C8.5 requires more memory than C8. If you are on 32-bit you should be looking at moving to 64-bit.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    de3an said:
    Holly and Thoromyr are both running Mac OS 10.7.4. Holly is experiencing the problem, while Thoromyr is not.
    If OpenGL is updated as part of the OS then they should both be running the same version. However, if different versions of OpenGL are installed based on which graphics card is installed, maybe that could be it. Or maybe different graphics cards themselves could be a problem.

I'm using a 15" mid 2009 macbook pro with nvidia geforce 9400M. OpenGL Driver Monitor 1.5, OpenGL Profiler 4.2 and OpenGL Shader Builder 2.1 (system information, Software > Applications).

Mac Mini (early 2009) NVIDIA GeForce 9400... (the other items you list I am about a .x version behind yours, and some threw warnings when I tried to launch them (version mismatch)... Can I force an update on my OpenGL drivers?

Heard about 32bit issues on video drivers in Mountain Lion so I did not upgrade yet. Only change for me is the 172 beta.

Holly,
    Normally, Apple delivers the updates for OpenGL and graphic card drivers through the Software Update feature of the Mac OS. I believe that different versions may be installed based on each user's hardware configuration.

The other items, OpenGL Driver Monitor, OpenGL Profiler, and OpenGL Shader Builder, are just utilities and are not required. They are installed as part of Apple's Xcode Developer Tools, and are an optional install. The version that you have installed is probably no longer compatible with your current Mac OS. I believe that you can download the current version for free from the App Store (if you have any use for them). Look for Xcode Developer Tools.

As far as forcing an OpenGL driver update on an Mac... I don't think so. Even if you can find an installer that claims to do it, it might not install the correct software for your hardware configuration. Apple tends to tweak its software to customize it for their hardware.

If you have DAZ Studio installed, you can check your video card and OpenGL info by going to its Help menu and choosing Troubleshooting>About Your Video Card...

DAZStudioVideoInfo.png
    530 x 622 - 52K
    DAZStudioHelpMenu.png
    489 x 304 - 48K
  • Michael CMichael C Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

When I click the link to the store, the price for the beta is 199.95, even though the text on the store page says it's free. It retains the 199.95 price in the shopping cart.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Michael C said:
    When I click the link to the store, the price for the beta is 199.95, even though the text on the store page says it's free. It retains the 199.95 price in the shopping cart.

Sure enough!
    When I downloaded it a few days ago it said $0. Something has changed.
    edited December 1969

Maybe you are only allowed to "buy" it once?

I believe by putting it in the store they are taking the beta public again (not just for C8 owners). That is surely a sign that C8.5 will be officially released soon.

• djmulcahydjmulcahy Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Ugh... is that good?
    Not that I don't want it, but there still seems to be a ton of things, Genesis related, that continue to simply not work for me.
    I'm eager to buy 8.5, but not if it's anywhere close to the state of the current build.

• mrgraphixmrgraphix Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

Ok so i clicked the link for the beta version and the shopping cart is charging me 199.99

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

mrgraphix said:
    Ok so i clicked the link for the beta version and the shopping cart is charging me 199.99

So do you already own C8 pro?
  • Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Right, so it's not just me then! Something has changed in the store. Someone mentioned in another thread that resetting their 8.1 version put the 8.5 beta into their downloads, so I tried that yesterday too. To date nothing has appeared in my downloads, so it appears access to version 8.1 has been removed as well. Something is definitely afoot! No biggie - I'll wait for the full release. It's not like I've got time to do much at the moment, being completely absorbed with the Olympics!

• Michael CMichael C Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

I own 8 Pro (as I have upgraded every version of Carrara since the start and each version of RayDream before that - big investment). Regarding purchasing 8.5: As I've posted here earlier, ther are still bugs in 8. If DAZ sells 8.5 as an upgrade I think they are obligated to fix the 8-pro bugs for free. During the entire Raydream-Carrare history there was only one point-five version that was sold to current owners; that was RayDream 5.5, which was the final version. I hope this isn't the last Carrara version so that DAZ can exploit DAZ Studio.

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Michael C said:
    I own 8 Pro (as I have upgraded every version of Carrara since the start and each version of RayDream before that - big investment). Regarding purchasing 8.5: As I've posted here earlier, ther are still bugs in 8. If DAZ sells 8.5 as an upgrade I think they are obligated to fix the 8-pro bugs for free. During the entire Raydream-Carrare history there was only one point-five version that was sold to current owners; that was RayDream 5.5, which was the final version. I hope this isn't the last Carrara version so that DAZ can exploit DAZ Studio.

I wouldn't worry. Even if they do charge for 8.5, leave it a month and they'll then give it away! Said he, not even remotely bitter about splashing out on Studio 4 on release! :lol:

(No really, I'm not bitter - that was joke) ((Honest))

edited December 1969

Michael C said:
    During the entire Raydream-Carrare history there was only one point-five version that was sold to current owners; that was RayDream 5.5, which was the final version. I hope this isn't the last Carrara version...

:-/ the saddest thing I ever heard.

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

Sorry everyone, the beta is free and has a time out date. The store page was using a special field to allow it for free. The promo date we used ran out on July 31st. I've fixed the problem now and it's now available again for free.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Michael C said:
    During the entire Raydream-Carrare history there was only one point-five version that was sold to current owners; that was RayDream 5.5, which was the final version. I hope this isn't the last Carrara version...

:-/ the saddest thing I ever heard.

Wow, interesting discussion. Thanks.

Intrigued by this little bit of information, I did some internet research and came up with the following intriguing facts:

The last time a software project manager came on an internet forum, and used the words "special field" in an attempt to assure customers that the software wasn't in its final version, the company went belly up the very next day.

So, y'know, ya gotta be careful who you believe. Conspiracies happen when you least expect them.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,750
    edited August 2012

:-)

Post edited by Masterstroke on
    edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    thoromyr said:
    SmallFry said:

Just a quick update... I turned off all the Sky Light and Caustics and it blew up with Indirect Light turned on only. Trying it now with Indirect Light off and Caustics on.

• edited December 1969

It is good to know that Mimic Pro support Genesis figures. Do we need to reset Mimic Pro to get the updated version for C8.5?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

It is good to know that Mimic Pro support Genesis figures. Do we need to reset Mimic Pro to get the updated version for C8.5?

yes - besure not to install over the old version

edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    SmallFry said:
    thoromyr said:
    SmallFry said:

Just a quick update... I turned off all the Sky Light and Caustics and it blew up with Indirect Light turned on only. Trying it now with Indirect Light off and Caustics on.

With Caustics on, I got through more than 45 percent of the render after 12 hours and got a nil pointer error.

Now to try it without any bells and whistles to see if I can get a straight render.

(As an aside tho', this makes me realize why I like Toon renders. No worries about Caustics or anything like that. In fact, the simpler, the better.)

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited August 2012

SmallFry said:
    With Caustics on, I got through more than 45 percent of the render after 12 hours and got a nil pointer error.

Please. I'm begging you...

When I hear about people taking 12 hours or even days for a render it actually gives me pain. Makes me want to cry. And for caustics? Please, don't do it. I'm begging you.

There are other ways. Much quicker, and just as nice.

If you look at the light pattern that is projected from caustics it's usually not that complicated or difficult. And if you took a fraction of the time in PShop or equivalent you could hand draw a simple caustics pattern that you can use as a Gel for a light. And it will give you some wonderful results.

Or just search the internet for "caustics" and you can find all kinds of images that you can borrow from to make a really nice light Gel.

I'm just sayin'.....

EDIT: I've attached a poor yet serviceable image to illustrate. The caustics on the ocean floor were done (if I recall correctly from long ago) using a light gel with an image I found on the net. Or maybe I got it from that Photoshop plugin that generates textures that I cant' recall right off the top. In any case it was very quick, and I'm guessing the render took a few minutes max.

Underwater2a.jpg
    640 x 480 - 197K
    Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • edited December 1969

bigh said:

yes - besure not to install over the old version

Thanks Bigh

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,666
    edited December 1969

not working this build I am afraid
    fortunately I still have the installers from previous beta builds but not much help for Mani :roll:
    they will prob fix it next build.

• edited December 1969

How do I import a character converted to OBJECT in the DAZ Studio in Carrara automatically with the BUMP? The BUMP does not load and edit in Carrara, and extremely boring, does not work. This is a bug or I really do not perform this task? And the BRIGHTNESS of all the elements is also saturated. In Vue Infinite, for example, it does not happen and it imported perfectly with the BUMP and BRIGHTNESS correct. Thank you.

NoBumpWithBrightness.jpg
    591 x 591 - 32K
    NoBumpWithBrightness.jpg
    591 x 591 - 32K
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited August 2012

My little finger tells me that the 8.5 upgrade will be about $40-$50. Not bad, considering the introduction of Genesis and the auto-fit feature.

The only problem I have with genesis is I can't get them older. All the pre-made figures are pretty 20 years old. What if you want your character to be a realistic 40 years old? Is there any way to do that with Genesis? I tried to use aging displacement maps made for V4, to various degrees of success.

Post edited by argus1000 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,666
    edited December 1969

I stick Agnes's bump maps in my facegen textures of myself on Genesis
    the entire mat pose diffuse and bump looks quite aged.
    do not have Callum but he would be good for Genesis male.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

I stick Agnes's bump maps in my facegen textures of myself on Genesis
    the entire mat pose diffuse and bump looks quite aged.
    do not have Callum but he would be good for Genesis male.

Callum is for M4
This discussion has been closed.