Firefly vs 3Delight

youngmoneycacheyoungmoneycache Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

As a DAZ Studio user, I was wondering if there's any difference between these two render engines. And is there a way to get Firefly for DAZ Studio?

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited June 2014

As a DAZ Studio user, I was wondering if there's any difference between these two render engines. And is there a way to get Firefly for DAZ Studio?

The short answer is no, Firefly is the internal render engine for Poser. The only way to use Firefly is to use Poser.

But, Firefly and 3Delight both use the Reyes rendering algorithm. So, 3Delight and Firefly have the same roots, just different development paths. 3Delight is actually a more "powerful" render engine, just most of it is not easily accessible through the current DS interface. 3Delight has been used in several big films, so it is definitely capable of just about anything you might need, though some things like SSS are much easier in Poser.

What is it specifically that you want from Firefly that you aren't getting from DS/3Delight? Someone here may be able to help you find the solution.

Edit: I forgot to add that Poser/Firefly in certain situations can be faster than DS/3Delight. But, Firefly does not support caustics, and some functions, like refraction, are not quite up to snuff in Firefly. Like anything in 3D, there seem to be pluses and minuses to all programs, but in the proper hands, they are all capable of outstanding results.

Post edited by DustRider on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

you may also be aware that there are several options for other rendering engines in Daz Studio, some free, some rather expensive.
    some of the info in this link needs to be updated but the general idea is here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17897/

• rumaxrumax Posts: 4

3Delight cant render IDL. Firefly can.

• Threadsurrection!

3DL can also be obtained as a standalone renderer, though you will need to know how to make it do its thang. DS provides that interface, just as it provides the interface for Iray. There's an Iray plugin for 3D Studio Max, but as I undertand it, it's not the same as the interface provided in DS (haven't used it, because it's a subscription, and I do not subscribe to software).

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    rumax said:

3Delight cant render IDL. Firefly can.

...of course it can.smiley

The Radiance and IDL in 3Delight were accessable to DAZ Studio users in 2006/7 which was almost two years before Firefly got the capabilities.