REQ: Looking for realistic spilling hair for DAZ Studio

MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Imagine a woman with long hair lying her head back. If she's lying on a plane, her hair will spill around her shoulders. If she's at the edge of the plane, her hair will spill over the side. Anyone know of a product like that for DAZ Studio? Thanks.(BTW, DAZ, any chance of getting dynamic hair in the next iteration of Studio?)

Comments

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited August 2012

Sarsifus said:
    (BTW, DAZ, any chance of getting dynamic hair in the next iteration of Studio?)

If you're asking for dynamic hair functionality like the one in Poser... Don't. The situation you described would be ridiculous to create in Poser's completely useless hair room. I've used Poser since Poser 5, and... it sucked the day I first used it, and it still sucks today. A lot. The best dynamic hair I ever used (in poser) was a conforming skullcap (or maybe it was a hair prop, I don't remember) where a series of strips arranged on a skullcap were textured with a transparency map, the way that most conforming hair works. But instead of using morphs on the hair, the hair strips are then just draped the same way as any dynamic cloth. You might want to pester OptiTex to create something of this nature, as the poser version won't work in DS.

I have also had good results draping conforming hair in Poser's cloth room. Making the hair itself dynamic allows you to drape it with decent results. I did so here: http://karibous-boutique.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=240#/d1mjm3m and it worked exactly as I wanted it to. Having said that, I don't think this is possible in DS, though I could be wrong.

Good luck!

-Kari

Post edited by Karibou on
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited August 2012

I'm not a Poser user. I tried my hand at Poser Pro 2012, but it just looks and feels primitive to me -- it was very uncomfortable to use, to be totally honest. When I asked about dynamic hair in DAZ Studio, I was talking about some form of strand-based hair, something that would respond naturally to physics simulation, especially gravity and motion (like wind, inertia, etc.). Smith Micro announced a physics plug-in for Poser a few weeks back, and I would love to see something like that implemented in Studio. In the meantime, though, I would just love to have a couple of realistic hair props: one spreading out atop a plane, and one spilling straight down. Know of anything like that?

BTW: I looked at your picture, and it's pretty good. Imagine your dancer lying atop a plane (like a couch, a bed, a table, whatever) with her head back like that, and the hair falling straight down. THAT's what I'm looking for, especially if it's loaded with customization options (length, style, etc.). Later...

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Not dynamic of course, but maybe something like the following

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/christine-hair/ (see second image)

or

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/naoko-fantasy-action-hair/
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/esidor-hair/

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Sarsifus said:
    I'm not a Poser user. I tried my hand at Poser Pro 2012, but it just looks and feels primitive to me -- it was very uncomfortable to use, to be totally honest. When I asked about dynamic hair in DAZ Studio, I was talking about some form of strand-based hair, something that would respond naturally to physics simulation, especially gravity and motion (like wind, inertia, etc.). Smith Micro announced a physics plug-in for Poser a few weeks back, and I would love to see something like that implemented in Studio. In the meantime, though, I would just love to have a couple of realistic hair props: one spreading out atop a plane, and one spilling straight down. Know of anything like that?

BTW: I looked at your picture, and it's pretty good. Imagine your dancer lying atop a plane (like a couch, a bed, a table, whatever) with her head back like that, and the hair falling straight down. THAT's what I'm looking for, especially if it's loaded with customization options (length, style, etc.). Later...

Yup, I understood that you're not a Poser User. I actively use both programs. so I understand the differences in dynamic capabilities between the programs, and was just providing Poser as a comparison. Poser DOES have the capability to strand-based hair which responds to physics simulations. In theory, it would work. In reality, it's horrible. And RIDICULOUSLY resource intensive. Works decently for fur, when the simulation settings are maxed, but not much else. I guess the point was that if DAZ did add a dynamic hair room, it DESPERATELY needs to be better than what Poser offers.

DS's dynamic clothing is able to make cloth simulations quite nicely. Poser can also do this with great results. The hair in my art was simply a conforming hair piece that was "clothified" (prepared to be a dynamic object) and draped in a normal simulation. Conforming hair is composed of hair geometry that is TEXTURED to look like strands. When I ran my simulation, each strip of the hair's geometry then fell in response to gravity. In poser, ANYTHING can be converted into cloth. You could clothify a chair an drape it over a shower curtain rod. I do not think DS has this capability. I'm not entirely sure I understand the preparation of dynamic cloth in DS, so I can't say whether this would work.

Check out this... http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=81012 This uses the Cloth draping room to make dynamic hair.

edited December 1969

ruekaka said:

Y'know, I actually HAVE Christine Hair -- I just bought it last week and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Thank you for reminding me. The other two have been on my wish-list for a while now, and they just haven't been available at a price I was wanting to pay. But thank you for telling me about them, anyways...

edited December 1969

I have tried colliding a hair object with a plane and/or tweaking it with D-Formers (with which I have limited experience) to try to force it into a configuration that at least approximates the look I'm going for, and different hair models respond differently, and none of them to my satisfaction -- which is where a hair modeled to represent lying down or falling down would come into play. Ah, well. Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond. Have a good one...

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Martin has done 2 dynamic hair sets, which actualy work quite well

http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/Store008.php

Some of the other hair products have better textures but these are the only dynamic hair products I know of for DS.

It's been a while since I looked at the OptiTex store. Those are cool, and certainly inexpensive enough -- I may have to grab them and give 'em a try. Thank you for letting me know.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,315
    edited December 1969

You might want to look into Carrara dynamic hair, Carrara has some physics ability.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=carrara+dynamic+hair&x=0&y=0

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Well - you will need patience ...
    Alessandro is making his LAMH (Look at my hair) plugin. The first version will be hair. Strandbased hair.
    It's not out, yet.
    Even farther in the future, there will be dynamics ...
    Did I say you need patience?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/381/

edited December 1969

You might want to look into Carrara dynamic hair, Carrara has some physics ability.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=carrara+dynamic+hair&x=0&y=0

Thank you, but no. I just returned Carrara 8 Pro -- it was actually even more uncomfortable and less intuitive for me to use than Poser is. I wouldn't mind seeing some of its features incorporated into DAZ Studio, though.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

There aren't many bad things I have to say about Poser, but on that small list the top item is how appallingly useless the hair room was. Honestly, even after three hours it still looked like a rat with cancer got electrocuted.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,006
    edited December 1969

Sarsifus said:
    Imagine a woman with long hair lying her head back. If she's lying on a plane, her hair will spill around her shoulders. If she's at the edge of the plane, her hair will spill over the side.

...Hmmmmm...
    Huh? Oh sorry, I was miles away...

:red:

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Sarsifus said:
    Imagine a woman with long hair lying her head back. If she's lying on a plane, her hair will spill around her shoulders. If she's at the edge of the plane, her hair will spill over the side.

...Hmmmmm...
    Huh? Oh sorry, I was miles away...

:red:

LOL! Sorry -- I just now realized how that must read. I was not intending to be provocative.:P

edited May 2022

Redacted

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Hey, a nice thread for links. :)

It's very rare for hair creators to enable lying down or hanging upside down, even those who otherwise have great morph support. Buying a permanently upside down hair is not a good solution if you want hair for sequential art or to give consistency to a recurring character between renders.

I always wait until sales to buy hairs that are more than $10, but I would be happy to pay $20 up front for a nice-looking long hair (ideally without big dated bangs) that had morphs that would allow it to be used for a bigger variety of poses. I think others would, too. There's an opportunity here, hair makers - if you actually did this it would be a must-buy for many, many users just because there's so little like it. That Neftis hair is the closest I've seen, and it's too curly for most of my renders.

edited December 1969

This is "Fire Goddess Hair" by Valea (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/fire-goddess-hair/81429). It's on sale right now through the weekend, and I'm holdin' out, hoping Rendo will issue a coupon Friday or Saturday to sweeten the deal (hint hint). Put this on a woman lying on her back (in the arms of Frankenstein's Monster, for example), and it would go a long way towards addressing one of the looks I'm shooting for.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Hey, a nice thread for links. :)

It's very rare for hair creators to enable lying down or hanging upside down, even those who otherwise have great morph support. Buying a permanently upside down hair is not a good solution if you want hair for sequential art or to give consistency to a recurring character between renders.

I always wait until sales to buy hairs that are more than $10, but I would be happy to pay $20 up front for a nice-looking long hair (ideally without big dated bangs) that had morphs that would allow it to be used for a bigger variety of poses. I think others would, too. There's an opportunity here, hair makers - if you actually did this it would be a must-buy for many, many users just because there's so little like it. That Neftis hair is the closest I've seen, and it's too curly for most of my renders.

Interesting thread. I have also been on this quest. Since Fibremesh technology came out I have been trying to create a fibre that can handle any Genesis shape morph you throw at it. As some will know, fibremesh looks great BUT can get pretty ugly when applied to Genesis with extreme shapes. However I believe I have solved that issue.. It is based off my ManFuzz fibre but the difference is that this one (code named - Genesis Universal Fibre) can be ultra thin and any length and still not break or triangulate when dialling up on different shapes. Here is what it looks like. It can be straight, bent or curly. The following example is just a 55k poly test set on Genesis. What this means is that I can now create any hair style and any morph for it, be it up, down , lying on the ground and the fibres will still look great. Also with this fibre you can adjust the thickness on the fly.

Universal_Fibre.jpg
    754 x 874 - 483K
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Exciting possibilities. :)

edited December 1969

Definately:) The future for Genesis keeps looking brighter...

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

Good to know:) Lol I wont make it expensive, it's not my style:)

• edited December 1969

EVERYONE doing hairs beards whatsoever, if it's for a still iimage pose, not animation, the answer is quite simple :: Hexagon.
    Send hair, figure, whatever object you want the hair to lye on to Hexagon using the hexagon bridge, tweak your hairstrands the way you wish over it, send bakc to DAZ.
    Use hair as prop, not as morph, re-apply textures by copying them from the original hair for transparency.

Done.

Any clothes, or whatever, can be modelled and tweaked the similar way.

Cheers.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited June 2014

My ideas? Any hairstyle by Mairy/3Dream has tons of useful morphs to achieve flowing hair effects. There is also a freebie, Upside Down Hair, made by ParrotDolphin (I assume) on DA.

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on