ShareCG sending spa--uh--advertising emails now?

TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I just got an email from ShareCG advertising the HP Z1 Workstation. It appears to be legit, but it's just weird to me.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have an account there, and I haven't received any, yet.

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited December 1969

Ugh.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I got that email also. My first thought was 'What the...?', and my second was 'Nope.. no prebuilts in this house', and deleted the email. :d

• PoserMagicPoserMagic Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

yeah I got it too, it was weird, but figured it was what it was, they are a free site and they have to make money to run it someway. I guess side ads are not cutting it, so its to a email attack now.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I haven't received one yet... however, I get ad email from Smith Micro about every other day. Today's ad was for "Dragon Dictate 2 for Mac"

So ShareCG can join the group as well.

Kendall

• LostInSpaceManLostInSpaceMan Posts: 16
    edited May 2012

You can unsubscribe from them. I did as soon as I got it!

Post edited by LostInSpaceMan on
    edited May 2012

OOh, that's a silly thing to do, once you click an unsubscribe link they know they have found a real person to send more of them to. :smirk:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    OOh, that's a silly thing to do, once you click an unsubscribe link they know they have found a real person to send more of them to. :smirk:

Well you're supposed to be a real person to have an acct at sharecg.com lol ...

However that advice certainly holds true for massive bulk spam scams.

edited May 2012

Yeah, and are we convinced yet that these mailings are actually coming from ShareCG ??????? I know I doubt them, as I do have an account there, and was getting a little money from them until they stopped that, but have yet to receive one of these advert emails.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yeah, and are we convinced yet that these mailings are actually coming from ShareCG ??????? I know I doubt them, as I do have an account there, and was getting a little money from them until they stopped that, but have yet to receive one of these advert emails.

I haven't got one yet ... but then I don't have any money plans set up with them either ... could mean that somebody else has got a hold of their mailing list ... might be a very good idea for us all to go and change those passwords again :shut:

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited December 1969

I got one for the HP workstation (Yaaay... an all in one disposable machine!) I figured it was from SCG since that is the "Featured ad" that you must view to reach reach SCG ( yeah, you can click - "Continue to requested page" but the delay is almost as long as the ad).... I deleted it without checking if it was real or not...

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2012

I got one for the HP workstation (Yaaay... an all in one disposable machine!) I figured it was from SCG since that is the "Featured ad" that you must view to reach reach SCG ( yeah, you can click - "Continue to requested page" but the delay is almost as long as the ad).... I deleted it without checking if it was real or not...

So that's what that forced ad is supposed to be. I use adblock so I never actually see an image on that page. lol
    I just hit enter a second time in the address bar and it goes right to where it was supposed to.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I think you may be right. I've had none and I'm not filtering spam at present after several emails went missing. From past dealings with them they do seem to be an honest outfit. Sending out spam is a sure way to annoy users and that would damage their business.