Toon Shader Problems

d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
edited December 1969 in New Users

I was trying this process here- http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/dazstudio/studio-toonshaders.

I get to this step “Map Settings” drop down menu and select “Ignore” , but the toon options don't appear in my surfaces, it actually removes everything and all I end up with is UV Set, Smooth, Angle, Diffuse Color and Opacity Strength.

Is there something wrong with the shaders?

Dan

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I Just tested this in DS4Pro and I get the same results as you. It is not accepting the ignore funtuon.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Works OK in DS3.

Are the shaders compatable with DS4?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

They are the Default Shaders installed with DS4. It works fine in DS3 as you said, I tested that also.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

The shaders are defiantly not working in DS4 I would suggest submitting a bug report and if you post a link to your report here we can add our confirmation that this is a general bug that is repeatable

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I just submitted it,

Thanks to all who checked it out and responded so quickly.

Dan

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

From what I can gather by a little research I do not believe that it is a bug in DS 4 Pro. at all, to put it simply files that are required for the shaders to work are not there.

From what I have found.

A shader in Daz Studio should be composed of:

a shader definition script, linking the different files bellow
    a RSL surface or light shader (.sdl), which is a compiled version of a .sl surface/light shader code.
    a script defining the shader properties, which means also the user interface in the surface tab
    a render time script run every time the shader is called with attributes passed.

As far as I can see there are no shader definitions for the toon shaders in the DS4 folders and also in the DS4 shaders folder the dztoonskin.sdl is non existent.

It would be nice to have them but I fear we are not going to have such a privilege, it is a business after all.

edited December 1969

From what I can gather by a little research I do not believe that it is a bug in DS 4 Pro. at all, to put it simply files that are required for the shaders to work are not there.

From what I have found.

a RSL surface or light shader (.sdl), which is a compiled version of a .sl surface/light shader code.
    a script defining the shader properties, which means also the user interface in the surface tab
    a render time script run every time the shader is called with attributes passed.

As far as I can see there are no shader definitions for the toon shaders in the DS4 folders and also in the DS4 shaders folder the dztoonskin.sdl is non existent.

It would be nice to have them but I fear we are not going to have such a privilege, it is a business after all.

They should be there they just got misplace that's all. That's why we suggested doing a bug report so that the developers know that they are missing and can put them back

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited July 2012

NeilV 1 said:

From what I have found.

They should be there they just got misplace that's all. That's why we suggested doing a bug report so that the developers know that they are missing and can put them back

The shaders are not packed with DS as far as I know and you must get them separately. You can get them here

However there is indeed a bug because the default presets don't seem to work very well with DS4 because many options are missing. I made some new presets for DS4.5 here.

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:

From what I have found.

The shaders are not packed with DS as far as I know and you must get them separately. You can get them here

However there is indeed a bug because the default presets don't seem to work very well with DS4 because many options are missing. I made some new presets for DS4.5 here.

I will get this flagged up because the presets are installed will DS4 so they should work out of the box not make people jump through hoops especially as we don't have the DS4 SDK

but thanks for the 4.5 presets I just cant use them yet as a PA I have to stick with the current version of DS4

edited December 1969

No problem, but I'm not sure these should work out of the box because these were freebies from DAZ for DS3.And a default installation of DS doesn't come with these shaders so I guess they aren't officially supported like many other things that need to be updated
    What is strange is that other old shaders don't have this problem for what I know, or I didn't open my eyes cause I didn't realize the problem with toon shaders until I saw this thread and investigated on the shader
    So it's a good thing to open a bug report.

edited August 2012

No problem, but I'm not sure these should work out of the box because these were freebies from DAZ for DS3.And a default installation of DS doesn't come with these shaders so I guess they aren't officially supported like many other things that need to be updated

I can qualify NeilV 1 in that the toon shaders are definitely included in the default Daz Studio 4 pro free installation download and by that should be working.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

We have been told that there is already a bug report filed on this issue.

edited August 2012

I can qualify NeilV 1 in that the toon shaders are definitely included in the default Daz Studio 4 pro free installation download and by that should be working.

Ok I wasn't sure because I had them since DS3 and they were not included at that time but what kashyyyk describe is exactely what happens when you have the scripts but not the shaders (sdl files)

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited August 2012

I said in my post earlier that the definition files to the toon shaders are missing and only one .sdl file. Takeo you must have DS 4, you just made a shader for it yourself, do you not see?

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited August 2012

Please ignore earlier post...realised I had wrong end of the conversation...

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I received a response from Daz support-

Hi Danny,

We actually don't provide tech support for any of the content that was obtained from the free archive. These toon shaders are not part of the default DS4 content as was suggested by some members of the forum. (Unless I'm completely blind and can't find it)

It sounds like a bug report has already been created so there isn't much more I can do from there. These shaders were designed for DS3 and so I'm not sure whether or not they will be updated for DS4.

If you are looking for a good toon shader I would recommend pwToon:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pwtoon

The Visual Style Shaders are also really good for characters:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/visual-style-shaders/

August 07, 2012 14:32

edited December 1969

Well they are completely wrong, these shaders ARE supplied with Daz Studio 4 pro you know it I know it and many others too, so they are obviously seriously mistaken or just aren't bothered
    Just as I said in my earlier post, its a business they have the same thing on sale so we aint gonna get em !

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Just ran into this myself. I know that these shaders come with DS4.5. This is kind of silly. If it comes with 4.5 then it should be supported just like all of the other 4.5 content and features.