Carrara Challenge X - “Past hopes and present nostalgia” WIP Thread is Open

Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
edited June 2014 in Carrara Discussion

I want to thank Daz and our new sponsor HowieFarkes for sponsoring this next challenge!

Carrara Challenge X “Past hopes and present nostalgia”

With Prizes Brought to You by Daz and HowieFarkes

DAZ has been very generous in encouraging these Carrara Challenges and has offered to support us once a month!
DAZ is donating:
1st Place: $100 towards Daz owned item(s).
2nd Place: $50 towards Daz owned item(s).
3rd Place: $25 towards Daz owned item(s).

In addition, two Honorable Mentions will receive a $10 Daz owned item.

This month’s sponsor is HowieFarkes and winners will also receive items from his store:
1st Place: 3 items
2nd Place: 2 items
3rd Place: 1 item

In addition, two Honorable Mentions will receive a 1 item
Summary:
Each artist may submit up to two images by 9pm Mountain Time (MT), July 14th, 2014.

The subject is “Past hopes and present nostalgia”. It’s a two sided theme with a render illustrating either the idea people from the past had of our present time and/or what we can be nostalgic of their time.

1 Each submission must incorporate at least 2 (TWO) objects created or significantly enhanced in Carrara for that image.
2 Each submission must also incorporate at least one object created using the plant editor (with HowieFarkes as our sponsor, you could have expected it :-) ). Obviously, preset plants do not fall in that category. Alternatively, for those lucky ones who have the pro edition, this can be substituted (or completed :-)) by an object modelized or shaded using 3D paint.

If an artist submits two images, then votes for the two images are combined for a single score for that artist, with limitations as described below. Voters may vote for up to three images.
Voters may also indicate one provisional tie-breaker/honorable mentions (not by an artist the voter voted for). The artist with the most combined votes receives the first place prizes.

Prizes are Daz owned items up to $100, $50, and $25 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers, respectively. Two honorable mentions receive a Daz owned item up to $10.

I’m living in Europe and my time zone is GMT+1, but, this being an international challenge, we’ll keep DAZ time as a reference (Mountain Time Zone, UTC-7) as for many other instances of this challenge.

As I’m usually sound asleep at the hours stated below, I may start thread in advance and close them a bit late .
Anyway, the time stamp on the thread entry will be used to check whether the entry is valid or not (submission or vote).

Dates to Remember:
- WIP Thread Opens: June 16th, 2014
- Submissions Open: 9:00 PM MT June 23rd, 2014
- Submissions Close: 9:00 PM MT July 7th, 2014
- Voting Starts: 9:00 PM MT July 7th, 2014
- Voting Ends: 9:00 PM MT July 14th, 2014

- If you are unsure of Mountain Time, go to this link to get the current MT date/time:
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/mountain-time/

Entry Rules:

1) Each artist can post up to 2 (TWO) entries. All votes for images by the same artist will be combined into a single score for that artist. You may not give more than one vote to a single image, but you can vote for two images by the same artist.

2) All entries must be submitted into the “Challenge Entries” thread before 9:00 PM Mountain Time (MT) on July 7th, 2014. Artists must provide (as a minimum) a title, a general description of the work (e.g., how it was done, post work (rule 4), created or significantly enhanced objects (rule 5), and a content/plugin credit list (if used) If you are going to be unavailable to post your final entry, post your final render in the WIP thread, indicating that it IS your final entry and provide all the necessary
information. It will transferred to the entries thread after it opens.

3) All renders must be done in Carrara. In the spirit of exploring Carrara’s full potential, plug-ins are allowed. For example, the LuxRenderer plug-in can be used. However, in this case, a WIP must be posted in the WIP thread, showing the scene set-up inside Carrara, and a description of how the LuxRendered was set up MUST be included. Other content use is allowed
and welcome, but MUST be credited. If you used HDRI, be sure to mention that too.

4) Postwork is allowed. But, if you use postwork, the raw render(s) going into your postworked image MUST be posted in the WIP thread, along with a brief description of what kind of postwork you did.

5) A minimum of 2 (two) objects in the scene must be created or significantly enhanced in Carrara. See the section below for examples of what constitutes “significantly enhanced.”

6) At least 2 Works in Progress (WIPs) must be posted in this (WIP) thread before your final render is uploaded to the contest thread.
If you use postwork, at least one WIP must include the raw Carrara render and describe your postwork plans, pursuant to rule (4).
Other WIPs can be pre-render screenshots of the scene set-up, low quality samples, early drafts, and hand-drawn sketches with thoughts and ideas you are playing around with. Also, when you post your WIPs, please share what you are planning, problems you are working through, and breakthroughs you have discovered.

7) Content and Plugin use are allowed and welcome, but MUST be fully credited in the contest thread when your entry is posted.

8) All renders must be specially created for this challenge and previously unpublished.

Voting and Scoring Rules:

1) Anyone with a DAZ account can give 1 vote each for up to three different images. You may vote for each image entry only once.
However, each entry selected by the voter provides the artist with one vote (point). Thus, if an artist has submitted two entries,
and a person gives one vote to each entry and the third vote to another artist’s entry, then the voter will have given 2 votes (points) to
the first artist and one vote (point) to the second artist. Voters may not give two votes to the same image entry. Voters may not give three votes to the same artist.

2) Contestants may not vote for their own images- Do not not vote for Host Image- It is not up to win any prizes.

3) Voting can begin immediately after the submission close date/time.

4) Voters may provide one provisional tie-breaker/honorable mention vote. A tie-breaker/honorable mention vote may be cast for an entry of an artist that the voter has not voted for. Tie breaker votes are not counted unless there is a tie for first, second, or third place.
5) If artists receive the same vote total, the first tie breaker will be to count the tie-breaker votes among the tied participants. If there is still a tie,
the contest sponsor (HowieFarkes) will break the tie.

6) The challenge coordinator (Philemo) cannot place for any prize.

7) Anonymous votes will be accepted with just cause. Send me (Philemo) a PM with the entries you are voting for, along with an explanation of just cause. If persuaded that the cause is just,
I will add an “anonymous” post to the contest thread.

What are “created or significantly enhanced” objects
?
1) Creating an object in Carrara’s vertex modeler, the spline modeler, the metaball modeller, or the plant editor.
2) Morphing or modifying an object (including a primitive) beyond recognition or cutting parts from it, and using it for something completely different.
3) Covering an object with fur or creating dynamic hair for it.
4) Rigging and using that rig to pose an object.
5) Altering or creating UV-maps, or creating special shaders or textures.
6) Using the 3D-paint feature to texture the object or create shaders, shader masks, distribution maps, etc.
7) Creating unique variations of things like plants, oceans, particle generators, terrains, clouds, etc.
8) Inventive use of replicators. Just replicating an object doesn’t count as significantly enhanced, but creating new shapes using replicated objects does, or using distribution maps or nested replicators to create environments or interesting concepts would also count.
If you are not sure whether your enhancements qualify, please ask in this thread.

Please support these wonderful artists:
Current Sponsor’s Store:
: HowieFarkes:
Previous Sponsors’ Stores:
: MMoir’s store
: PhilW’s store
: Age of Armour‘s store
: DimensionTheory’s store
: Dartanbeck’s store
: RingoMontfort’s store
: Sadot’s store

Summary/Final Words:

Remember, the aim is to have fun, learn and share a little about Carrara with others, show off Carrara’s versatility and strengths, and show off your personal artistic and Carrara talents! So let the rendering begin!
Apologies to prior challenge coordinators for plagiarizing their postings, including this apology. I do want to thank them too for keeping these challenges going so smoothly!
The work in Progress Thread will be open until submission close. The submissions thread will open June 23rd.
So get your game faces on!

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Ha Ha, I will have to create a plant of hashich !;-P

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Ha Ha, I will have to create a plant of hashich !;-P

If I may ask, would you do so out of past hope or present nostalgia? ;-)
    Anyway, if you do so, you'll have to pass it around :-) . I mean, make a freebie out of it.

edited December 1969

It is an experiment to be tried (not to smoke, but to create the plant in 3D).:-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

If I may make a suggestion, requiring the plant editor is cool, but many people use one of the presets as a starting point. Myself included. As an example, the Weeping Willow visible in this image was derived from the Burr Oak preset rather than the Willow preset.

My point is, maybe you could clarify the language a bit so that we know if it's okay to use a preset as a starting point?

Fantasy_Camp.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

It is an experiment to be tried (not to smoke, but to create the plant in 3D).:-)

Of course, that's the way I understood it. And it is a so lovely shrub. All that dented leaves. At least, it's what I've been told. I never saw one myself.
    edited December 1969

If I may make a suggestion, requiring the plant editor is cool, but many people use one of the presets as a starting point. Myself included. As an example, the Weeping Willow visible in this image was derived from the Burr Oak preset rather than the Willow preset.

My point is, maybe you could clarify the language a bit so that we know if it's okay to use a preset as a starting point?

Hi, EP,you're right (as usual). As long as there is some original work in the process, there is no problem with starting with a preset. All in all, one of the ideas behind this challenge is to promote Carrara and presets are part of the package.
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Good luck Philemo.

edited October 2014

kashyyyk said:
    Good luck Philemo.

I still think we need a support group for past challenge hosts. Look at poor headwax! His descent into madness has accelerated since he hosted the challenge- twice! :bug:

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Good luck Philemo.

I still think we need a support group for past challenge hosts. Look at poor headwax! His decent into madness has accelerated since he hosted the challenge- twice! :bug:

Darn, not bright enough to be witty with a headwax and psychology quip

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited June 2014

me? madness? MOI?

hahhahhahahhhhhhhhhhhhaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHH
    H
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

IT NEVER EFFECTED ME AT ALL.......................... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BUT SERIOUSLY

great idea for a challenge Philemo :)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

wish they would have a 50% off for Howie Farkes !

edited December 1969

Here you'll find texture for some leaves (including cannabis) :-)
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Good luck Philemo.

Thank you kashyyyk, I think I'll need it :-)
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:

Here you'll find texture for some leaves (including cannabis) :-)

Thank you, my idea is to try to reproduce the period “Woodstock” 1969…
    Jimy Hendriks, The Who, etc, I was a fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival in this time…:)

edited December 1969

Thank you, my idea is to try to reproduce the period “Woodstock” 1969…
    Jimy Hendriks, The Who, etc, I was a fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival in this time…:)

Not the same generation. I was a fan of "Saturnin le canard" this very year :-)

edited June 2014

I still think we need a support group for past challenge hosts. Look at poor headwax! His decent into madness has accelerated since he hosted the challenge- twice! :bug:
    I'm afraid that it's already too late for me. I'd been working for 5 years as a team leader in IT support and you don't get out of this kind of mad house unscaled ;-).

head wax said:

great idea for a challenge Philemo :)

Thank you Head Wax. I just hope you won't be the only one to think so.

wish they would have a 50% off for Howie Farkes !

So do I. In the meanwhile, you just have to try to win this challenge ;-).

The plant editor is a very versatile tool. I've attached a render of a kind of sci-fi contraption done with it

Tree3.png
    1600 x 900 - 831K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:

The plant editor is a very versatile tool. I've attached a render of a kind of sci-fi contraption done with it

Great concept, Philemo. There are a lot of different directions to take your two themes. I immediately thought of science fiction from the 1970s as being both nostalgic and forward looking (but not very hopeful).

Maybe someone can identify the attached pic, and find inspiration. The source would provide a lot of opportunities to use the plant editor.

silent-running-1972-visaff-01-g.jpg
    743 x 1000 - 243K
  • Former DAZ CustomerFormer DAZ Customer Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Ooooh! Silent Running!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Great concept, Philemo. There are a lot of different directions to take your two themes. I immediately thought of science fiction from the 1970s as being both nostalgic and forward looking (but not very hopeful).

I must confess it was also on my mind, event if I was thinking more about pulp scifi from the 1950s (you know, rockets, flying cars, half nude mad scientist daughters, that kind of things :-) ).
    There was some hopeful scifi in that time, but not a lot, I must confess. The everyday threat of total nuclear warfare was so overwhelming that it shadowed things a bit, like a Damocles sword hanging over our heads. Not something to be nostalgic of, I'm afraid. It may have not been something we had constantly on our mind, but it was there.

diomede64 said:

Maybe someone can identify the attached pic, and find inspiration. The source would provide a lot of opportunities to use the plant editor.

Ooooh! Silent Running!

It looks like a very nice movie. I didn't know it and I thank you both for pointing it out.
    ON the funny side, when I saw someone in coverall with an AA patch on the shoulder, I immediately thought that the robot had broken down and that the AA patrol had arrived ;-)

edited June 2014

garphoto said:
    Ooooh! Silent Running!

Correct! Who will model Huey, Duey, Louie, and a forest in a space dome? ;-)

Here are a couple of links to a blog that focuses on how past generations viewed the future. The first link gathers material by decade. It could provide more ideas.

http://www.paleofuture.com/

and

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

...but I'm sure creative people will find more poetic interpretations of hope and nostalgia.

I found the attached pic at http://www.magicmargin.net/2011_04_01_archive.html

I may focus on finding a new (to me) use for the 3D paint tool because I am fortunate enough to have that version of Carrara. Not sure yet.

Can't wait to see what people come up with.

graduation_blog.jpg
    400 x 250 - 33K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:

Very cool!
  • Former DAZ CustomerFormer DAZ Customer Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    ...but I'm sure creative people will find more poetic interpretations of hope and nostalgia.

I found the attached pic at http://www.magicmargin.net/2011_04_01_archive.html

I may focus on finding a new (to me) use for the 3D paint tool because I am fortunate enough to have that version of Carrara. Not sure yet.

Can't wait to see what people come up with.

Heh, that reminds me of the "Facebook Electric Friendship Generator" etiquette video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iROYzrm5SBM

:-D

edited December 1969

Here is my inspiration for the Past Hope

And then my start of the idea-

Tire2.jpg
    662 x 566 - 95K
    Tire.jpg
    762 x 614 - 92K
    download.jpg
    240 x 200 - 14K
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

Awww...! Dagnabit! I was thinking of a Jetsons style retro-future look. No worries, I may have something else up my sleeve if I can actually find the time to do it- or anything for that matter!

edited December 1969

Still just doodling.

I did play with the plant editor to try to make some science experiment hoses. I extended the trunk to reduce the start and number of branches. I also made the width of the trunk and branches more consistent (reduced taper). I played with the curves to try to get the shape I wanted. I am attaching the settings. Let me know if there are settings to get more control.

The doodle is Dr. Jekyl starting to become Mr. Hyde. It is the genesis 1 figure, which I haven't used much. His clothes are Daz's Edwardian evening suit for David, morphed to genesis by using the autofit function. I've also included one millenium cat and one daz puppy. The cage is a simple vertex cube textured with tile procedural shader in the alpha.

Really rough, but the Edwardian Evening suit seemed nostalgic and I always thought that Dr. Jekyl had been hopeful for the future.

dr_jekyl.jpg
    640 x 480 - 29K
    plant_to_tubes.JPG
    610 x 481 - 25K
    branch_expert_settings.JPG
    687 x 559 - 67K
    trunk_settings.JPG
    712 x 537 - 57K
    edited December 1969

Great stuff, you guys!
    Consider me inspired by your creativity and the sharing of it!

edited December 1969

Oh... and I love the theme(s)!!!
    Thanks Philemo!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Here are a couple of links to a blog that focuses on how past generations viewed the future. The first link gathers material by decade. It could provide more ideas.

http://www.paleofuture.com/

and

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/

Great site. Thank you for the links. I'm sure it will help a lot.

kashyyyk said:

With the discussion we had in PM, I was sure you were going for the Jetsons :-)
    I'm waiting impatiently for the rest of your modelling

Awww...! Dagnabit! I was thinking of a Jetsons style retro-future look. No worries, I may have something else up my sleeve if I can actually find the time to do it- or anything for that matter!
    You still have the half nude mad scientist daughter option ;-)
    example 1
    Example 2

Still just doodling.

I did play with the plant editor to try to make some science experiment hoses. I extended the trunk to reduce the start and number of branches. I also made the width of the trunk and branches more consistent (reduced taper). I played with the curves to try to get the shape I wanted. I am attaching the settings. Let me know if there are settings to get more control.

I've also been playing with the tree generator. The ramified generator gives good results for artefacts.

The doodle is Dr. Jekyl starting to become Mr. Hyde. It is the genesis 1 figure, which I haven't used much. His clothes are Daz's Edwardian evening suit for David, morphed to genesis by using the autofit function. I've also included one millenium cat and one daz puppy. The cage is a simple vertex cube textured with tile procedural shader in the alpha.

Really rough, but the Edwardian Evening suit seemed nostalgic and I always thought that Dr. Jekyl had been hopeful for the future.

I like the idea.And yes, the love of humanity underlined in Dr Jeckyll actions is a sure indicator of hope in the future.

Great stuff, you guys!
    Consider me inspired by your creativity and the sharing of it!
    Oh... and I love the theme(s)!!!
    Thanks Philemo!
    You're welcome, Dart.
    I'm awaiting for the fruit of your inspiration. I'm sure you'll surprise us ;-)

edited December 1969

I'm moving along, I used the boolean to create the cut outs for the round shoulder joints. I'm going the retro model look with a grungy texture look, like it would really look like if they existed now.

I used the 3dpaint, but because I changed the boxes shape I had to unwrap the UV so I could get straight lines in my texture, which I fine tuned in photoshop, then a cool carbon texture as a bump map for teh look around the moniter scrren.

Torso6.jpg
    913 x 765 - 154K
    Torso5.jpg
    774 x 640 - 101K
    Torso4.jpg
    737 x 629 - 108K
    Torso_boolea_n2.jpg
    797 x 692 - 146K
    Torso1.jpg
    849 x 610 - 94K