Save as Material Preset Question

KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi, I need a pink sweater so I made the texture and save the jpg to:

C:\Users\username\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\textures\mystuff

Then I saved as "Material Preset" to the same folder. Is this the correct place to save the material preset to?

I ask because when I went back in to load the sweater I got error locate file but I looked in the DAZ folder and the sweater was was in the texture/mystuff file.

I need to send this file to a friend and would like to be able to set up the zip file so it in an easy to file location.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you
Kimberly

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited July 2012

No, the textures folder is a special case folder. Material presets don't belong there just the raw images themselves.

Also, since you do not have a corresponding pz2 file, it won't appear in the poser hierarchy at all. You should put it at c:\users\username\documents\daz 3d\studio\my library\presets\materials\\product name

Post edited by adamr001 on
  • KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    No, the textures folder is a special case folder. Material presets don't belong there just the raw images themselves.

Also, since you do not have a corresponding pz2 file, it won't appear in the poser hierarchy at all. You should put it at c:\users\username\documents\daz 3d\studio\my library\presets\materials\\product name

Thank you, that worked. I had to add a material folder to my presets but it worked.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Glad to help. :)

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Glad to help. :)

Hi, it works for me but no one else. It needs the actually texture file jpg in there some place. I have read http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/otherapps/otherapps-misc40#step_2_-_creating_the_folder_for_our_textures and was wondering if there was any place to get this tutor with the preview example images or another tutor so I can follow it step by step.

Thanks

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

I've made one item in the past. Lets see if I can help. Mine was a Poser format Prop but this is what I did.

When I created the Items Object I put it in...
    Runtime>Geometries>My Folder (Any name will do)
    Then I made my Texture files for the item and they went into..
    Runtime>textures>My Folder
    Next I loaded my Object into Daz and used the Surfaces tab to Load the textures on my prop.
    I then used Save As>Material File
    I saved it into this folder
    Runtime>Libraries>Pose>My Folder (it was made and ready to save too)
    I then used the PP2 Exporter Script to Save as a Poser Prop. I saved it into...
    Runtime>Libraries>Prop>My Folder.

By creating the Mat files from the textures in the proper Folder and the Object in the proper folder all the paths were in the PP2 file.
    To get my item ready to put on ShareCG I created a empty Folder with a Rumtime structure in it that only had the paths my item used.
    I then copied all my files into that file structure just exactly as they existed in my DS folders. And Zipped the Full Runtime into one File with a ReadMe in it. What I learned was All files have to be included, and all the paths have to match 100%. It worked and is still up on ShareCG with almost 200 DL's and no complaints.

For a DS item it would be the same, you would just be sure to include all the files in the proper folders in a DS structure.

I hope this might help you.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited July 2012

Jaderail, yes that helps but I am still a bit lost.

This is where I am at right now and plan to walk away after this posting till Morning and revisit this fresh. BTW: I am only doing DAZ at least for now. I have poser 2012 and I like DAZ better, but that is just me.

I put my textures (jpg) in C:\Users\user\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\textures\this products folder name

I them open DAZ and my kids4 with basic wear shirt in this case. I go to surface, select the shirt and add the new texture.

Then save as Material Preset in the
    C:\Users\user\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\libraries\Materials\this products folder name

To zip the file, I set up folder Runtime with two folders inside that textures and \libraries\Materials\folder name

Then I copy the content for each related folder to the correct matching folder.

Then I send to zip folder.

Thoughts?? Correction?? Faster way to Zip this stuff??

I know I am making this too hard on myself so I am off to veg on True Blood from last night, trying to forget my small business of 13 years needs a new source of income and would like to share some freebies back on ShareCG since I have download so much from there ~ and ~ come at this fresh in the morning. Sorry, crazy old lady rant. :P

Post edited by KimberSue on
    edited December 1969

Looks good to me but I think the new Daz only saves Daz materials files I'm not sure they belong in the Runtime folder or not.
    Like you I need to crash so I'll check it tomorrow also.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Looks good to me but I think the new Daz only saves Daz materials files I'm not sure they belong in the Runtime folder or not.
    Like you I need to crash so I'll check it tomorrow also.

I think I might, just might, have it now. I posted in the free section to see if it could be tested by others. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4930/

edited July 2012

I followed your path and I see others are still getting an error. I DL'ed it to look at and see you saved as a dsb. If you re-do it and save as a dsa I can check the paths in the file and tell you what needs fixed. Happy to do it and it will not take any time at all.

edited July 2012

Jaderail said:
    I followed your path and I see others are still getting an error. I DL'ed it to look at and see you saved as a dsb. If you re-do it and save as a dsa I can check the paths in the file and tell you what needs fixed. Happy to do it and it will not take any time at all.

Am I not suppose to save as Material presets? Sorry I am not sure what you mean by redo and save as dsa.

I have

texture.png
    1286 x 250 - 65K
    material.png
    1277 x 250 - 78K
    edited July 2012

That part is correct. When you get to the File name part of the save you should have a drop down that has three options .dsa .dsb and .dse . The last two are compressed and can not be edited or read in an editor. Dsa is plan text and we can look at all the file paths. I have this option in DS4Pro 4.0.3.47 in the Save As Materials File.

edited December 1969

I found Save As Materials File in daz pro. I have to take off but will check it out more this evening.
    thanks

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    That part is correct. When you get to the File name part of the save you should have a drop down that has three options .dsa .dsb and .dse . The last two are compressed and can not be edited or read in an editor. Dsa is plan text and we can look at all the file paths. I have this option in DS4Pro 4.0.3.47 in the Save As Materials File.

Thanks for the file type lesson. I ready several articles on file types for DAZ and 3D content and will try it with the dsb tomorrow morning.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

I get the file types now, I used the dsa at http://www.sharecg.com/v/63939/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Kids4-Stripped-Shirt-with-Dog-Design but I am 99.9% sure this is correct.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have too much fun making textures.

edited December 1969

I just updated to the newest daz. Now my save as material preset extension is a .duf. I read all the help files and I'm nearly sure that is correct but I feel better if someone could verify this is correct, the .duf.

Thank you

edited December 1969

I can't help with that. I have Plugins I can not lose so DS4.5 is off limits for now. I do know that only DS4.5 can read .duf so only people that use it will be able to use your textures. That knocks out people who still use DS3 or DS4Pro.

edited August 2012

Jaderail said:
    I can't help with that. I have Plugins I can not lose so DS4.5 is off limits for now. I do know that only DS4.5 can read .duf so only people that use it will be able to use your textures. That knocks out people who still use DS3 or DS4Pro.

Thanks for letting me know.

edited December 1969

Your welcome. Texture on.

• JEHarvey68JEHarvey68 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

By creating the Mat files from the textures in the proper Folder and the Object in the proper folder all the paths were in the PP2 file.
    To get my item ready to put on ShareCG I created a empty Folder with a Rumtime structure in it that only had the paths my item used.
    I then copied all my files into that file structure just exactly as they existed in my DS folders. And Zipped the Full Runtime into one File with a ReadMe in it. What I learned was All files have to be included, and all the paths have to match 100%. It worked and is still up on ShareCG with almost 200 DL's and no complaints.

For a DS item it would be the same, you would just be sure to include all the files in the proper folders in a DS structure.

I hope this might help you.

Hi there, I came across this thread when searching for information on material presets of Poser content and why they sometimes do not work in DAZ Studio (4 Pro, specifically).

Here's my dilemma; my friend has created some characters in Poser and when testing them I noticed that one character's skin uses the D|S default light blue diffuse color for all skin options but the other character only uses the default blue for the character's default skin. When his other skin options are applied, the diffuse color changes to white (255x3) and, of course, he becomes two-toned.

I wanted to know if this issue could be caused by either the paths not matching exactly or something else? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Just so you know, I'm a beginner DAZ Studio user but I have not used Poser so I know very little about that program. Thanks in advance, I hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

• Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited October 2013

What is the compress option for? When we are creating something we wand to share in the materials option window there is a box for it. Should it be checked or unchecked? Why what is this for?

Post edited by Type 0 Negative on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

Compress makes the file smaller by applying GZip compression. On a preset it won't make a huge difference, but on morph assets and figure assets it can save a lot of space.

• Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

Compress makes the file smaller by applying GZip compression. On a preset it won't make a huge difference, but on morph assets and figure assets it can save a lot of space.

thank you