No more Readme files?

MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
edited July 2012 in The Commons

I just purchased two new items in the store here and of course, install them right away because anxious to use them.
I know sometime back they changed the default about reading "readme" file immediately after install, which is OK.
But now I can't find readme anywhere, so I reinstall because thinking I do something wrong.

It looks like now we don't have readme to keep on own computer. Instead we have to connect to DAZ.

To me this is not good. I have to go through extra step of saving that webpage to disk. Also, what happens if that particular item is removed from store? Probably readme will disappear also. I know most of you have at one time tried to find out about discontinued item and it's like it never existed.

This is not an improvement to product and hope things are restored

Post edited by Medzin on

Comments

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

I know that is where they are now, but it would be nice if they actually included the readme with a purchased product.

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:

I know that is where they are now, but it would be nice if they actually included the readme with a purchased product.
    I agree. Taking the readme out and linking to a webpage instead was a poor choice. They don't seem to realize that just maybe not EVERYONE has their art computer connected to the internet. And even if you do, given the reliability of DAZ's new setup, actually connecting to it is a hit-or-miss proposition.:red:

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

It is interesting to see that quite a few of the items say "This product has not yet been publicly released.", rather than showing a readme file. They must be new products that we will see "SOON".

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

THere is a Feature request to have the readme restored to the downloads, in the Mantis bug tracker, if you would like to add your support.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=47340

Do note that if you have never used the Bugtracker before you will need to start a new account there, as it is separate from the Daz main site, but you can use the same Username etc, to make it easier to track.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Thanks chohole - I've added my support to restoring readmes to the packages.

Cheers,

Cliff

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

ReadMe's are an essential part of a product. Internet access is not always possible.

I have connection outages and have vacationed in remote places with no connections available. In those conditions I cannot then access an online ReadMe on my traveling laptop.

With thousands of products on my computers and multiple runtimes I can forget where a product is stored or forget a feature of a product I want to review. So, having a ReadMe included is a way to find or verify.

No ReadMe's included in a product is a bad idea.

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

Some of us take fast internet connections for granted, and don't render when we vacation, but those are good points. On the other hand, I love the online ReadMes as it enables me to get a little more information on a product before I decide to buy it. Plus the current ReadMe files aren't that easy to navigate either, especially if you buy from other sites. Having both would be nice, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with online. Nicely indexed and saves me time and space.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Where are the readme's? They're not included in the download and they're not on the website. Getting Page Not found errors. If you're going to remove them from the download the very least you can do is to ensure that the readme is available on the website. It seems like every single time I buy something lately the readme is not available. This is really very poor.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Apps haven't had any documentation for a while, no surprise if DAZ has stopped doing documentation for content.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Merging this threa with the exisitng thread.

edited December 1969

What is the point of the view readme box redirecting to a not found page?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

There are occasions that they forget to put the readme up. It is a different department that handles that. All we can do is point them to the appropriate packs so they can get it fixed.

edited December 1969

Perhaps DAZ should invest in producing a checklist of tasks that have to be done before a product is put up in the store, with a little sign off for each section. The product shouldn't go live without the list being completed.

edited December 1969

Indeed. The "different department" excuse doesn't really cut it for a company striving for "world-class", especially given the apparent size of DAZ3D (it's not like the other department is in a different time zone).

Cheers,

Cliff

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

Miscommunication happens all the time. Even when the person is sitting next to you. So yeah it is easy to do.

edited December 1969

Yup, there's a reason that the phrase "Human error" exists. It's why companies put systems in place to reduce the opportunity for "Human error" to mess things up :D

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

Once or twice is a miscommunication. After that it gets into the realms of incompetence.

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

OK. Enough. DAZ, please tell us Read-Me's are back in!

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited August 2012

adamr001 said:

Product 14665 Motorbike Viking brings up a 404 when 'view readme' is checked on the installer, added it to the existing bug report.
    https://bugs.daz3d.com/login_page.php?return=/view.php?id=47340

Post edited by IanTP on