Free M5 textures?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Anyone know of any, like the title suggests? I'm only finding M4 ones.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I don't know of any, and I watch the main freebie sites and DAZ pretty closely. I think M5 just hasn't been out long enough, and a lot of us are using textures and mats for the M4 UV with our Genesis characters.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Given the interchangeability of textures between M4 and M5, I suspect most people will label freebies as for M4, even if they had Genesis in mind when developing them.

• MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
    edited July 2012

I thought M5 was going to be the next big thing, but there's been little development since its release. There's maybe 4 or 5 skins and MEC4D's Unshaven for M5, but thats really it. I recently purchased Tyrese for M5 but was unimpressed with it. It was just a rehash of the M4 version....I felt ripped off. The store has really gone downhill since the remodel, so I wouldn't expect anything free for M5....ever.

Post edited by MikeyFTL on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

I for one am hoping 3Duniverse creates a plugin to convert gen4 textures to gen5 for Texture converter2. I asked but got no response...

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I am working on this moment for a M5 bundle an original one not converted from M5 , including great textures , 3d hair, and some clothing with dynamic morphs , exclusive for M5

Cath

edited December 1969

Gen textures?

edited July 2012

bellow just example of the dynamic pose morphs of some of the clothing I work on for the bundle , that can be animated ;) , the textures are my Buddy on M5 as I don't wanna show yet the new one as I am still working on, render in DS4

shirt-shorts-m52bw.jpg
    500 x 650 - 77K
    shirt-shorts-m5bw.jpg
    500 x 650 - 89K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

yes that for sure , it will be full character with everything including gens textures

Zev0 said:
    Gen textures?
    edited December 1969

Joy:)

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

MikeyFTL said:
    I recently purchased Tyrese for M5 but was unimpressed with it. It was just a rehash of the M4 version....I felt ripped off.

This is actually why we called it the same name for M5 and not a different one... However the textures were redone for M5 so they are much better but the kept the M4 UV so that M4 users can use the updated textures. Also the custom morphs from M4 did not automatically convert from M4 without major errors so those had to be redone (and improved) and creating the M5 gens textures with the corresponding hip textures for all the options.. which people have been asking for... which basically resulted in the work of actually redoing the character... which is similar to what was done with Santo (which we ended up splitting into several packages due to the sheer size) and our other M4/Genesis products where we did the double work at the same time but had to eat the costs of doing both.

Our other M4-only products are getting fully updated as well to M5 and our Genesis characters that didn't include gens textures will be getting addons, and hopefully the store can now handle discounts for previous owners now, which wasn't available to us when we released Tyrese. And with those items available to give them more options for M5 body and head shapes and gens textures with are aren't available with a lot of charcters.

Then we can concentrate on the two new exclusive M5s, one using a photo reference that's not available anywhere else (and that's all I'm going to say about that ;) )

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Mec4D:
    While your attention may still be drawn to this thread, I wonder if you have considered a product in the same vein as your Unshaven products...
    A hair for Genesis heads which could have a groom room for styles like short hair, bald with fringe, flat-top, etc.
    I have your other Unshaven products and would very much like to have it.
    Oh and a V5 Unshaven for
    down there.

edited December 1969

If you want hair down there for V5 it already has been developed here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4101/P105

Agreed. An unshaven set for head hair and styles like the beard will be fantastic.

edited December 1969

yes I know what you talking about the unshaven pubic was kinder to wild for V5 and she deserve nice one with many variations , beside I am working on the scalp hair for my M5 character also in the style as unshaven , the long hair would works also as long you don;t change the proportions between the head and torso , scaling down will not affect . but for the shorter style for my M5 character will be no problem, also eyebrows coming and additional beard to match him complete .

tjohn said:
    Mec4D:
    While your attention may still be drawn to this thread, I wonder if you have considered a product in the same vein as your Unshaven products...
    A hair for Genesis heads which could have a groom room for styles like short hair, bald with fringe, flat-top, etc.
    I have your other Unshaven products and would very much like to have it.
    Oh and a V5 Unshaven for
    down there.
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I have no issues converting M4 textures to M5, they usually look great. I rarely do renders where this is an issue, but M4 gen textures do NOT map well to the m5 gens, and while I'm not rendering and close up nude crotch shots, I still would rather have something a LITTLE better than the giant square of generic stomach texture that I've been forced to use. I tried manually editing m4 gen textures (I used Rob's), but it's tricky and I'd rather not have my roommates walk in and see a 1920x1080 genj texture on my computer screen xD

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    I for one am hoping 3Duniverse creates a plugin to convert gen4 textures to gen5 for Texture converter2. I asked but got no response...

There's no need for a plugin, because you already can use ANY gen4 texture on any genesis character.

After you put the texture on your character, if it doesn't look right, just go to the Surfaces tab, select Genesis, and then look for "UV set" on the right. Change it to whatever Gen4 character's texture you used.

edited December 1969

The idea about UV's is simple , the Uv's are the topology map of the geometry , if they don't match the pixels are showing up in different places as the creator wanna it to be , it can change total the look of the character and make it minder good looking if there was a lot of details , if you create 3D displacement maps they will working bad on a model that use different Uv's and the same for Normal maps, the color maps can have some distortions but the rest should not for optimal effect , it is like wearing to big or to small clothing sometimes it can looks ridiculous sometimes not ..
    Texture converter never was a perfect solution and can't replace the original quality of the textures, DS options for different UV' works better as texture converter , and if you wait to convert genitals from M4 to M5 then you can forget as 3D Universe does not support this idea from personal reason so there will be not geni conversion plugin for sure , beside M5 geni use different system and scale so this would be very much difficult to do that due to the scales and geografting .
    But hey at the end of this week you will have new character to play with , and no worries about converting ;) I am working on it ..

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited July 2012

Yeah, I have no issues converting M4 textures to M5, they usually look great. I rarely do renders where this is an issue, but M4 gen textures do NOT map well to the m5 gens, and while I'm not rendering and close up nude crotch shots, I still would rather have something a LITTLE better than the giant square of generic stomach texture that I've been forced to use. I tried manually editing m4 gen textures (I used Rob's), but it's tricky and I'd rather not have my roommates walk in and see a 1920x1080 genj texture on my computer screen xD

Have you tried Cauri's remapped M5 Gens? It does at least get you around the issue of the generic stomach texture; you simply copy the SkinHip surface from the Genesis M4 to the SkinHip surface of the remapped Gens. Unfortunately, it doesn't get you around the issue of manually editing the M4 textures onto the actual gens itself, but once that's done, you can at least save it to a material preset for reuse, if needed.

That figure is RTEncoded against version 1.1 (I think) of the installer for the M5 Genitalia, since there's no OBJ file for it to work with.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I can attest that Cauri's remapping works GREAT and I haven't had much problems with it.

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:

There's no need for a plugin, because you already can use ANY gen4 texture on any genesis character.

After you put the texture on your character, if it doesn't look right, just go to the Surfaces tab, select Genesis, and then look for "UV set" on the right. Change it to whatever Gen4 character's texture you used.

Gen4 textures stretch on hip when legs are bent. Gen5 textures do not. Hense why I was looking for a converter.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I can attest that Cauri's remapping works GREAT and I haven't had much problems with it.

Trying it out now.. All I need is the hip texture of the gen changed to M4, the rest I can deal with.:)

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Trying it out now.. All I need is the hip texture of the gen changed to M4, the rest I can deal with.:)

That's what it does. :)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited August 2012

To catch up on a couple of other things in this thread:

Mec4D said:
    I am working on the scalp hair for my M5 character also in the style as unshaven , the long hair would works also as long you don;t change the proportions between the head and torso , scaling down will not affect . but for the shorter style for my M5 character will be no problem, also eyebrows coming and additional beard to match him complete .

Is there any chance that one of the styles you're working on is like the hair that you put on Buddy? I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to use a hairstyle like that on another character, but the shorter/flattop styles that are out there just don't really match.

Zev0 said:

I suspect that an up-converted texture wouldn't necessarily fix the stretching issue, depending on how it handles the differences. I've converted a few Gen3 textures to Gen4 with TextureConverter2, and, well ... put it this way: I'm not at all unhappy with the results, but some of them have been a mite ... startling. I converted Mairy/3Dream's Adro texture from M3 to M4. The back of his head stretched so much that I have to make sure that he always has hair, because it's incredibly noticeable. Also, since Adro was created from photo references, the original texture had armpit hair. The conversion stretched the texture in that region so much that it turned into the defining line for his pectorals. It's like he's got bizarre and weirdly flat topiary over there. But he's one of only two South Asian male photo-referenced textures I've ever seen, and the other is for Apollo, so ... (He also GenX'd surprisingly well, although it did take a bit of work.)

One thing you'll note is that for some/most textures, there will be a visible seam between the actual genitals and the SkinHip section. You can fix that in post, of course. (It will never stop being weird that this term actually has meaning beyond "something I hear about/on television and movies" now.) Or ... you can use that hair figure that you had up at sharecg.com for a while. Turns out that it's pretty much perfect for hiding that seam, if you set the length and thickness to maximum. Very convenient, that!

By the by, as long as we're talking of such things (and it seems we are), I have a ridiculously basic question, completely unrelated: what is the transparency texture that gets plugged into the opacity channel on gens for, exactly? I've only started wondering as I've used Cauri's figure; I'll plug the transparency map for a given character into either the strength or color channel, and even though strength is set to 100%, the thing goes translucent or completely invisible. It's not unusual for the M4 gens to look somewhat translucent but render just fine, but when it does that with M4 textures on M5 gens, it renders either translucent or invisible, as well. Everything looks fine without it so ... what do it do?

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

If I click on hip of m5gen and I apply a m4 texture preset will it apply, shader and all? That is all I really want. I can fix the seams but I want the gen to have the same shader as the body. I have not tried yet..

edited August 2012

Zev0 said:
    If I click on hip of m5gen and I apply a m4 texture preset will it apply, shader and all? That is all I really want. I can fix the seams but I want the gen to have the same shader as the body. I have not tried yet..

Yes, this should work exactly like that. Note: after you install the remapping thing, there will be a separate gens loader in Genesis -> Anatomy that has the remapped features. Use that to load up the gens, then select gens on the scene, then the hip material and clicky-click for your chosen M4 genmap.

I... goodness. This is going to require lots of tact to post screencaps.

about_uvs.png
    497 x 257 - 12K
    itiswhere.png
    425 x 481 - 30K
    Post edited by Skiriki on
    edited December 1969

How big is the seam difference? Lol crop off the gen part if you post a screenie..I just wanna see the hip part..I'm at work so I cant try this now. :(

edited December 1969

...okay, here we go.

If you can spot the Gen package-to-hip seam, then you're more sharp-eyed than I am. Because running a comparison side by side with non-gens skin on hip... well, no problems. Skin is one of Reciecup's M4 skins.

hip_with_toast.png
    615 x 286 - 190K
    edited December 1969

Dude thats perfect. I hardly render that close up. Just told my photoshop soldiers to stand down...They were ready for war LOL...

edited August 2012

Or ... you can use that hair figure that you had up at sharecg.com for a while. Turns out that it's pretty much perfect for hiding that seam, if you set the length and thickness to maximum. Very convenient, that!

Wait I'm confused. What hair set?. According to shareCG it never got uploaded so I did it via an external link..Can u send me a sharecg link? In my uploaded files nothing is listed. This is very strange.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Dude thats perfect. I hardly render that close up. Just told my photoshop soldiers to stand down...They were ready for war LOL...

FYI, this particular skin DOES have a bit of seam around the... interesting bits. Let me check how it is with something else. Yeah, there's some seam, all right. Which your hair should cover up nice and dandy.

edited December 1969

Hmmm.. Well just to be sure I am going to make some scaling dials for the hair so you can scale it horizontally and vertically. I'll do a couple of tests when I get home.