Hand Grenade ~ Very first W.I.P.

StubbyStubby Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Figured its time to actually post something. Being completely new to all this I'm a little nervous.

Anyway, made this following a Geek at Play tut series. Still have to go thru the UV mapping part.
Ok let me have it... How bad did I do? =/

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited July 2012

Hey, Roy, you did real good! - very neat and clean.

Only crit I have have is there is no hole for the pin - maybe a bit of thickness on the handle? but that's minor.

What does the underside look like - do the loops terminate in a pole with all tri's, or have you made them into quads?

Post edited by Roygee on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

As someone who was in the Army, and has actually thrown those things, you did a bang-up job. It's damn near perfect. Well done.

• StubbyStubby Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Hey, Roy, you did real good! - very neat and clean.

Only crit I have have is there is no hole for the pin - maybe a bit of thickness on the handle? but that's minor.

What does the underside look like - do the loops terminate in a pole with all tri's, or have you made them into quads?

Thanks!
    Yeah, I thought about the hole after I posted this last night. He didn't do it in the tut so I didn't even think of it till I was done. Gonna go back and try and put it in. And now that you mention it, the spoon could probably use a bit more thickness.

As for the underside? I could be wrong, still get a little confused on this part, but all the faces(?) along the very bottom have 4 sides so I am assuming their quads. Added a screen so you can see. Then maybe you can tell me, lol!

Granade-bottom.jpg
    800 x 490 - 99K
    edited December 1969

As someone who was in the Army, and has actually thrown those things, you did a bang-up job. It's damn near perfect. Well done.

Thank you very much! :-)

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

Well done Roy, I followed the same tutorial many moons ago and you made a better job of it than I did.

edited December 1969

Well done Roy, I followed the same tutorial many moons ago and you made a better job of it than I did.

Thank you, Wee Dangerous John!
    Trust me, It wasn't a one time run thru. It took many many tries to get it to where I was happy with it. well... semi happy. Still think it needs a little tweaking. Hoping to have some time tonight to at least start the UV mapping.

edited December 1969

Yes, they are quads, but still converge on a pole - this can cause a problem with some renderers. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage, but bear in mind for future - it's good practice to avoid poles by reducing the edges converging on a point to four, as you can see in no 2 in my pic - this gives a nice finish and a neater mesh.

Same goes for caps on cylinders.

This really dates me - in my army time we used the old Mills grenade - chunky, heavy things - well-known as a Pineapple.

shere.jpg
    800 x 294 - 46K
    edited July 2012

Thanks for the advice, RoyGee! I'll keep that in mind for the future. Would you recommend dissolving the edges or deleting them? I remember in one of the tuts I was watching one time(cant remember who's) that one was better to do than the other. Gonna have to go back and see if I can find it again.

I remember the pineapple style grenades. Well, not by experience but the look of them. Was actually thinking of trying it out. Dont think it should be too hard to pull off.

Post edited by Stubby on
  • edited December 1969

GREAT job, Roy!!

The ONLY critique I have is that the body isn't perfectly spherical; it's slightly elliptical.

• edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    This really dates me - in my army time we used the old Mills grenade - chunky, heavy things - well-known as a Pineapple.

Good god, Roy!!! How old ARE you? Pineapples were WWII and possibly korea...I'm 64 and was in from 66-69 and we only had this type. I've never even seen a pineapple with my own eyes!

edited December 1969

Like I said, this dates me - I'm 69! Did my time 62-65. The last grenade model I saw was like a small tin of beans - you left it "as is" for percussion, or slipped a steel coil with segments over it for shrapnel - a lot lighter and easier to throw than the old Mills.

Roy G - dissolve. If you delete you'll have holes. The way you cast off is to select the last ring of edges and do an "extract along" inwards towards the centre point . That makes quads between the old ring and the new and tri's within. Select each alternate edge within the circle and dissolve. Repeat until there are only four edges converging on the centre point.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

This got me remembering.
    I did make a pineapple grenade once.
    -
    I used it for a Easter picture.....
    -
    I have actually thrown one of these. Many,many years ago, But it was a dummy, for training.
    And if I remember correctly... I failed...

Easteregg1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 350K
    new-2.jpg
    800 x 522 - 148K
    edited December 1969

Sorry for just getting back to this. Had a little PC trouble.

Anyway... the UV mapping became a complete epic fail on my part. Haven't given up on it, gonna keep trying. Just a little harder than I thought.

But I did get a little anxious to see it rendered. So I exported it out to Carrara and painted it in there. Just added a few basic shaders to it and dropped it into a lighting preset.

Grenade.png
    640 x 480 - 247K
    Grenade_test_render.png
    480 x 360 - 70K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Looking good. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Thanks! :-)