LUXUS for Carrara question

JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
edited June 2014 in Carrara Discussion

This is an experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. Mostly its an experiment of applying LUX materials for the skin and metal.
I am not happy with the eyes. Is there a method for good eyes in LUXUS for Carrara?

Post edited by Joepingleton on

Comments

• rk66rk66 Posts: 432
    edited December 1969
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

Thanks that is great information. I posted the results to the image, and they are better. =)

edited December 1969

Thanks for the info.
    This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. More experiments of applying LUX materials for the skin and glass.
    Thanks for looking.

Click here to view the stereoscopic 3D version at 3dLive

jade01_lux.jpg
    528 x 960 - 575K
  • IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Share your knowledge!!!! they look great, if only I could get my Lux renders looking like that :/

edited December 1969

Thanks
    The skin settings are the values from Jonstark's great thread [ http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29998/ ].

The glass all use the same settings, they are:
    Top Shader: LUX Surface
    Material: LUX Glass
    Index of Refraction: Material Ruby
    Reflection Color: White
    Transmission Color: Red or Green
    Everything else is set to none

I used one LUX Infinite light with a HDR map to get the reflections.

I have only done three experiments so far with LUXUS, so I hope this info helps a little.

edited December 1969

As the saying goes, every little helps :)

I saw Jons thread, and tried to use his settings on a few different skins, but I haven't had the time or the desire to do anything with art or art related, maybe seeing images like this might spur me on to do something :)

edited June 2014

Thanks IamArtistX,
    I'd love to see what you come up with.

There are so many inspiring artists on this forum. Dali's quote "No masterpiece has ever been created by a lazy artist" inspired my quest to try to improve my artwork.

To help get over my creative block, I have been trying to do an image a day for the past year. I try to spend only a few hours on each experiment and not have an idea for the artwork at the start. It has unreleased a creative flood of ideas. The results have there problems, but occasionally I get a good piece. You can see the results of my experiments at http://joepingleton.deviantart.com/

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Really impressive... I only tried architecture in Luxus, but your skin looks great!

edited June 2014

Thanks,
    I just used Jonstark's skin settings and I really like the results. It's awesome to have such knowledgeable people to learn from.

edited June 2014

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. More experiments of applying LUX materials for the skin and glass.

The settings are the same but I changed the color to blue and the Refraction to Alcohol. The HDR map seems to be the trick to good glass.

I also tried the Surface Replicator with a glass sphere. I was please that it worked with LUXUS. I couldn't get the particle fountain or hair to work.

Thanks for looking.

jade02_lux_alt.jpg
    614 x 540 - 335K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

fantastic images ! Great work.

edited June 2014

Thanks for the great feedback

Is there anywhere to find out what Carrara objects work with LUXUS for Carrara?

I tried the particle fountain, clouds and hair and they didn't transfer. Maybe I need to convert them to other modelers?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Hi, Joe,
    I'm perhaps stupid, (not, it's sure ! :cheese:), but that's used for what “Luxus”?
    Your images are extraordinary but Carrara can't do that alone ?

edited June 2014

Carrara could do it alone, but my skills don't know how to get it to do it as quickly as Luxus seems to do it.

I just started using Luxus for Carrara because I liked the LUX renders I was seeing that other have done. I was getting OK results for Reality 2 for DAZ Studio, but I prefer working in Carrara. Since octane is out of my price range, I thought the price for LUXUS was right. My next step is to see how it handles animation. Carrara's default renderer is giving me such fast render times, LUXUS has some big shoes to fill.

I guess the render doesn't matter as much because I tend to over Photoshop my stuff. =)

edited June 2014

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. This time I tried some male skin textures.
    Thanks for looking.

Notice01_lux.jpg
    960 x 540 - 125K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Hair and clouds are render time effects so I don't think they'll work for a third party renderer.

I'm not sure about the emitter. It may be the same issue- the render engine calculates the particles? You may have more luck with the emitter than with the hair or clouds. Try exporting the emitter as an .obj file and then re-importing it into Carrara. If plants and replicators work in LUXUS, I don't see what the problem would be to get an emitter to render. Maybe contact the developer and see if it can be added.

Other things in Carrara that probably won't work would include the fire and fog primitives and similar objects.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Hi, Joe,
    I'm perhaps stupid, (not, it's sure ! :cheese:), but that's used for what “Luxus”?
    Your images are extraordinary but Carrara can't do that alone ?

There are some things Carrara's renderer cannot do.

I'm not saying Carrara's renderer is bad, in fact, its quite good at a lot of things. But when it comes to simulating what light does in the real world, it was not designed to handle that.

Carrara can do basic refraction and caustics, but if you needed a rendering faithful to real glass for example, you would have to use Luxus or other physically accurate renderer.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

joeping said:

The settings are the same but I changed the color to blue and the Refraction to Alcohol. The HDR map seems to be the trick to good glass.

I also tried the Surface Replicator with a glass sphere. I was please that it worked with LUXUS. I couldn't get the particle fountain or hair to work.

Thanks for looking.

Tremendous. Thank you for sharing your images and thoughts on what works best.

edited June 2014

Thanks for the tips

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. Since I couldn't get Fur to work with LUXUS for Carrara, this image is a combination of a LUXUS for Carrara's render and Carrara's default render.
    Thanks for looking.

jade05_lux.jpg
    720 x 855 - 700K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks for the tips

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. Since I couldn't get Fur to work with LUXUS for Carrara, this image is a combination of a LUXUS for Carrara's render and Carrara's default render.
    Thanks for looking.

Very cool! I love the look of Carrara's hair! You did a nice job with it!

edited December 1969

Thanks
    I based the tigers off Holly Wetcircuit's tutorial at http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com/tutorials/carrara-fur-tutorial-comicbook/

Thanks for turning me on to that link in another thread. =)

edited June 2014

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. This experiment uses the surface replicator on 2 genesis figures to create 85 soldiers.
    Thanks for looking.

swat01_lux.jpg
    960 x 540 - 565K
    edited June 2014

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. I was lounging with my dog and looking at her hair. The thought of trying to mimic her short hair arose in my mind. this is the result. Since I couldn't get Fur to work with LUXUS for Carrara, this image is a combination of a LUXUS for Carrara's render and Carrara's default render.
    Thanks for looking.

Dog01_LUX.jpg
    960 x 540 - 230K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Fantastic, Joe! Bravo!!!

edited June 2014

Thanks for the feedback.
    This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. This time I tried some area lights to try to get better eye highlights. Plus more skin and cloth texture experiments.

I've been trying to get hair texture's right with mesh hair, but I am having problems with the transparency. Is there a good way to do hair textures in Luxus?

areaLight01_LUX.jpg
    960 x 540 - 217K
    edited June 2014

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. This time I tried using only area lights. I also used the surface replicator on a bunch of area light spheres.

Thanks for looking.

areaLight03_LUX.jpg
    540 x 876 - 153K
    edited December 1969

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. I was disappointed with my last experiment so I was playing around with area lights some more. This time I used 2 Millennium Sub Dragons as area lights.

areaLight04_LUX.jpg
    960 x 540 - 201K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

You ARE the Man, Joe! Bravo!
    How long does it take to render these things?
    Stunningly beautiful, Sir... More... More!!! Please!!!

edited December 1969

Thanks,
    Most of these renders take about an hour or two to render.

edited December 1969

After seeing some of the images in this thread I was going to try and make something, but after the issues I have had with Carrara and some of the Genesis figures and clothing, crashing Carrara to the desktop, I am not as inspired as I once was, maybe I should stick to V4/M4 for characters in future

Here is old image i did using Luxus

bike.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 507K