Mavericks...... Bryce is Back!!!! :-o

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello fellow Bryce buddies!!

I can confirm that Bryce 7 Pro (v7.1) will run under OSX 10.9!!!!!!

It is rather glitchy with certain presets and editors causing the program to crash, but, I was able to open, edit and render a file.

This has given me a renewed sense of optimism that someone somewhere might take the time to code an update for the mac so I can stop having to use windowz 7......

Is anyone else also having succes??

I'm running it on a mid 2010 MBP and will have a go on my late 2012 iMac once Mavericks has finished.

Take care all!!

Comments

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

You can open/save files and render in 10.8 but all the Bryce specific Editors crash. Do I understand that you're able to get some of the editors to work under 10.9? That would be great, especially getting to the presets.

• Rob_272036Rob_272036 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I have also updated to Mavericks and yes I'm now able to start Bryce 7 Pro
    No problem opening all the editors

But then often crashes

Ok, not very good but on the earlier OS X version I had given up because even trying to start Bryce was not possible anymore
    So definitely something has changed, because of the OS X update

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited October 2013

Hi, Grinch here.

This is an interesting footnote to Bryce's defunct status, but I don't think it's a message of hope. It's what I'd associate with running an alternating current through a corpse and witnessing limbs twitch.

Post edited by Oroboros on
  • edited December 1969

Hi guys,

Dan, as the sticky above proclaims, I was unable to run the program in neither 10.7 or 10.8??? Guess you were lucky in that respect........?

As for current functionality (still only from my MBP);

Wireframe view manipulation, render settings, sky & fog settings are all stable. Moving, rotating and creating objects is as well.

The sky & fog, tree and material labs run with no problems. I haven't fiddled much with the motion lab yet but it opens and doesn't crash upon exit.........

So far all but two of the presets I have tried (one sky and one material) have caused the program to crash upon clicking the tick.

Also, the Bryce colour palette (wherever used) seems to pick random colours regardless of where the pointer actually is.......

As for more advanced functionality, I haven't had a chance to do an extensive fiddle yet.

Oroboros,

It’s what I’d associate with running an alternating current through a corpse and witnessing limbs twitch.

Hahaha! Love the analogy...... I find a high amp direct current really gets those limbs flying!! :-p So perhaps my newer, stronger, faster iMac will beat it into submission? One can hope!

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Thanks Ricard, appreciate the info. I forgot that I'd installed Bryce under 10.6. thats why it worked for me in later versions (at least I think that's what it was).
    I usually wait for the first dot update but I may have to go ahead and get it...

• edited October 2013

Hey Dan,

No worries!

I completely agree about the .x updates but, as it is free, I just couldn't help myself!

Bed time for me here (2:30am! :down: zzzz ), I'll post my results of a more extensive play from the iMac tomorrow.

Post edited by rickishere_0e203621f6 on
  • edited December 1969

The improvement is presumably because OSX 10.9 has changed the way that the Mac deals with applications that take over the whole screen (according to notes I've read on the web).

OSX 10.8 does some very odd things when I switch out of Zbrush and back which is another application that takes over the screen. I'd rather stay as I am for the moment though as I'm reading an increasing list of small but worrying problems under OSX 10.9 with a variety of applications including earlier version of the Adobe applications which I use all the time.

• edited October 2013

Hi Jon,

Please specify what you've heard. I've been out of the loop over the last few days (due to other commitments).

Also, the testing on the iMac has hit a wall........ I have had to instal Bryce fresh (as didn't see the point given it wouldn't work under ML) and it crashes when I try to enter my serial............

I guess my hopeful optimism was unfounded......

Such a shame as I really hate using (sh**y) windowz 7 for my Bryce requirements........

Let it be know (DAZ!!!!) that Bryce™ was a Mac application that was ported to Windowz....... Don't dismiss your true, loyal customer base by leaving this software to rot, put some effort in! I didn't spend hundreds of pounds on this product just to be left out in the cold!!!! CAPITO!?

Post edited by rickishere_0e203621f6 on
  • yannich_ff4dab420dyannich_ff4dab420d Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Let it be know (DAZ!!!!) that Bryce™ was a Mac application that was ported to Windowz….... Don’t dismiss your true, loyal customer base by leaving this software to rot, put some effort in! I didn’t spend hundreds of pounds on this product just to be left out in the cold!!!! CAPITO!?

Please, MAC users, copy and paste this message till Daz update Bryce to be use on our MAC ( with Mavericks OS )

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Yannich said:
    Please, MAC users, copy and paste this message till Daz update Bryce to be use on our MAC ( with Mavericks OS )

Do this, and it's likely you'll be restricted from using the forum.

This is a user help forum, not a line to DAZ 3D, nor Facebook.

edited December 1969

So, please, help me to use my paid software on my Mac . Thank you .

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

Unfortunately nothing has changed since I made this post http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19948/

In particular this part

# A member of the DAZ 3D Management Team did say, a while back, that working on getting Bryce 7 to work with the newer OS Xs will be a priority when Bryce enters the dev cycle again.

As Oroboros has said to keep posting this into the forum will just end up with the posts being removed as spamming the forum

The idea of having a sticky post on the subject was to avoid this sort of repetition.

When things do change then the sticky post will be updated.

We are all fighting to keep Bryce alive and vibrant, but this needs to be done the right way.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

O.K

• edited December 1969

Hi all,

I do appreciate that ranting here is pretty pointless, I just needed to vent after spending hours trying to get Bryce to work on my iMac...

Chohole, do we have any idea when Bryce could enter a new dev cycle???

edited December 1969

Sorry, no we don't.

• dgroverdgrover Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Oroboros said:
    Hi, Grinch here.

This is an interesting footnote to Bryce's defunct status, but I don't think it's a message of hope. It's what I'd associate with running an alternating current through a corpse and witnessing limbs twitch.

Thanks for making my day. This is the funniest post Ive read for months.
    I will use it to warm my heart while I await Bryce for Mac - with presets!

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

I just discovered this problem. I bought a new Imac and I cant get it to work, this is terrible! The terrain editor seems to crash it.

yikes!

• carericbcarericb Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” (Albert Einstein) Get people on board that can get the job done otherwise your customer service could come into question!

• edited December 1969

hi there, I just upgraded from a G5 iMac running 10.4 to an intel mac running 10.9, so Imagine that sinking feeling as I realised Bryce wouldnae run on my new machine.

Going back to the G5 isnae an option, thanks to a logic board failure. I was able to get the internal hard drive put into an external caddy so I can still plug it in and access evertyhing...

but what if I was to start up from that external HD, is that an option (another site said it was not recommended but there's nae harm in getting a second opinion)

What do you think?

• zroqzroq Posts: 0
    edited July 2014

For anyone who likes to work with Bryce on a Mavericks OSX machine...

Today i have successfully installed Bryce on my new Mavericks laptop.
    i used Parallels 9 to run Snow Leopard virtually. and everything is back to normal as it just worked on my old Mac.
    i would say it works actually perfect.

Post edited by zroq on
  • ricky_4d60328f3cricky_4d60328f3c Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh, this is just depressing. So, no way to use Bryce (even through Parallels) on a Mac running Mavericks? I just assumed that Daz3d would keep working on the product. Have they abandoned it just like Corel did?

Are we in a position where done of the Daz3d programs will run on the newer Macs?

edited December 1969

Bryce is the only one that doesn't work on a newer Mac. all the others are working. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19948/

• ricky_4d60328f3cricky_4d60328f3c Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK ... really depressing. Bryce is what I use. And, the post about someone looking into it in the next cycle was posted over a year ago. So, I'm thinking abandon ware.

I'll see if I can get it to run on my Windows machine at work. This means no more Bryce fun at home. It's a sad day for me. I can't see purchasing more Daz products or content if my favorite program won't run.

edited December 1969

OK ... really depressing. Bryce is what I use. And, the post about someone looking into it in the next cycle was posted over a year ago. So, I'm thinking abandon ware.

I'll see if I can get it to run on my Windows machine at work. This means no more Bryce fun at home. It's a sad day for me. I can't see purchasing more Daz products or content if my favorite program won't run.

Not abandon ware at all. You only have to look at the amount of posts in this forum for a start, or the number of Bryce images posted to the DAZ 3D Galleries

I feel very sorry for Mac users, but Bryce is still alive and kicking, and some Mac users are getting it to work.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Bryce will work under Parallels. DAZ Studio will work on MacOSX.

• v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Not abandon ware at all. You only have to look at the amount of posts in this forum for a start, or the number of Bryce images posted to the DAZ 3D Galleries

I feel very sorry for Mac users, but Bryce is still alive and kicking, and some Mac users are getting it to work.

Abandonware refers to the developers, not the user base. Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite fast closing in. That will be 4 years with no update or even entry into the Dev cycle. A new version of Windows is slated for next year. Could this be when it quits running there? So, Bryce might be alive OR kicking, but it surely isn't both.

Either Bryce is on life-support in a coma, or it is twitching after being brutally murdered by progress. I cannot tell which yet.

edited December 1969

Verlon said:
    chohole said:

Abandonware refers to the developers, not the user base. Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite fast closing in. That will be 4 years with no update or even entry into the Dev cycle. A new version of Windows is slated for next year. Could this be when it quits running there? So, Bryce might be alive OR kicking, but it surely isn't both.

Either Bryce is on life-support in a coma, or it is twitching after being brutally murdered by progress. I cannot tell which yet.

DAZ 3D still own Bryce, and still sell content for Bryce and are fully aware that they have a thriving Bryce User base. The sticky post at the top of the forum for Mac Users does explain somewhat. So I am sorry, it is not abandonware.

• v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

And somewhere, there is an Amiga user saying the same thing.

Owning a product and the IP is not the same as working with it. I own a Bryce 7.1 license, for instance, but I am not doing anything with it (because I am on a Mac).

I would very much like to get Bryce up and running. I check back in this forum specifically for that reason. Unfortunately, the message is unchanged, "Bryce came out before those OS versions, so it isn't DAZ's fault that it is incompatible." If they are not willing to update the software, then Bryce is abandoned.

I really don't want to keep fighting Vue,

But sooner or later, I may start to like the pain.

• mylemonbluemylemonblue Posts: 4
    edited July 2014

I come back here from time to time just to see if anything has changed over the years. It seems like a cool thing that "Apple" made changes in OSX10.9 that got Bryce running for some.

As for DAZ, it's my thinking that DAZ doesn't know how to update Bryce's code to run on Mac OSX. They're simply not able to anymore.

I'd like to thank "zroq" for mentioning "Winebottler". For the record, "Wine" can run Bryce for Windows on Linux. At least for me it has. So it's not inconceivable that a version of Wine for the Mac might.

I'm going to try "Winebottler"and see what happens.

Edit. The less stable development version of "Winebottler" (based on Wine 1.7.16) managed to run Bryce 7.1. Not perfect of course. I had to use Finder to locate the "Bryce.exe"(right click open with Wine) and some advanced material editing things seemed wonky but the program worked. I'll likely try doing it right with the 'Winebottler" 1.6.1(stable release) with Mountain Lion later on some time.

A little test render from a Mac mini using "Winebottler"(1.7.16)...

BryceTest22cc.png
    858 x 577 - 1M
    Post edited by mylemonblue on
  • serendigityserendigity Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

I have also had ongoing hassles with the lack of a new Bryce for the latest Macs and their new Operating Systems. I now have a new top-of-the-range MacBook Air with i7 processors. I tried without success to get my Snow Leopard external drive installation operating system to boot up. Kept crashing due to i7 CPU not being supported errors. So I did some research and now have it working perfectly on my MacBook Air with Mavericks as the base OS.

The solution for me was to download Snow Leopard OSX Server 10.6 and install this DMG with VMWare Fusion 6 running a virtualised version of the OS and thus Bryce. (Apparently has to be 10.6.4 or later version).

It can be a hassle to get Snow Leopard Server, but here is some info:
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/131145/is-it-still-possible-to-purchase-a-license-for-mac-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-server

VMWare Fusion is well worth it: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ If you have a Windows OS license, then of course you could go the Windows emulator route for Bryce as well, but I tried both and prefer using Snow Leopard for the seamless Mac experience.

And installing Snow Leopard OSX Server 10.6 using VMWare Fusion 6 was easy and went without a glitch. As I am only using it to run Bryce I was not fussed over making any use of all the server setting up capabilities. I then simply installed the Bryce installer in this virtual machine and Bryce runs perfectly well with seemingly no overhead issues due to being virtualised. I can open old scene files, make changes, save files, render, output images, and all the user interface functionality seems to work perfectly. This researching, downloading, installing and setting up cost me a morning, but now it works and I have Bryce on my Mac again :)

Bryce_MB_Air.JPG
    1600 x 1293 - 857K