DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.1.0.28, Now Available! [Updated]

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited June 2015 in The Commons

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of DAZ Install Manager - version 1.1.0.28! (*updated*)

What is new in this version?

The 1.1.0.28 version (*updated*) is a maintenance release and makes improvements to or fixes issues discovered since the 1.1.0.15 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of DAZ Install Manager will be of this version.

1.1.0.28 highlights are: (*updated*)
1) Fixed an issue with the installation of content metadata in packages that require elevated permissions; i.e. DAZ Studio Built-In Content

1.1.0.27 highlights are: (more info)
1) Fixed CMS connector to handle install of vendor categories correctly
2) Fixed auto-install ordering of DAZ Studio packages for first time users

1.1.0.21 highlights are:
1) Fixed an issue that resulted in not being able to re-establish an active/valid session when connectivity is intermittent
2) Implemented support for sending 'keep-alive' signals to the server during a [connected] session; helps address intermittent connectivity issues by periodically informing the server that the client believes a given session is still active
3) Fixed a potential crash during the installation of packages that cause other packages to uninstall
4) Added support for mapping the application path of the Creative Cloud (CC) version of Photoshop; product packages require individual updates to support installation to a mapped CC path, which will be published over the next few days
5) Several updates/improvements have been made to the Default Filters

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously installed the Install Manager application and the computer it is installed on is connected to the internet, you can simply launch the application and log into your account. Once connected, you will be notified that an update has been detected and you will be prompted to "Update" or "Work Offline". Click the "Update" button and the application will take care of the rest.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the application from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "Install Manager" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here for Windows users, or here for Mac users.

If this is your first time downloading and/or installing Install Manager, simply follow this link, click the "download free now" button on the page and then run the downloaded installer.

*Note: If you are on a computer running the Windows operating system, you have an nVidia based graphics card installed along with another non nVidia graphics card (e.g. an Ivy bridge CPU), you have a recent graphics driver installed and you experience a crash during the uninstaller phase of the update... it is recommended that you download the installer from the Product Library (see above) and run it manually.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, documentation is located here. Clicking the "Help" button in the top right corner of the application main window will launch your [default] browser to the same location.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2014

I have switched to Postgre with CMS uninstalled. This upgrade has just reinstalled it.

Is that the old Valentina based CMS this update just installed?

Post edited by prixat on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    I have switched to Postgre with CMS uninstalled. This upgrade has just reinstalled it.

Yes, it has not yet been removed from the Install Manager Installer.
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2014

Thanks, so I can safely uninstall the CMS again?

Post edited by prixat on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    Thanks, so I can safely uninstall it again?

Yes, you can uninstall it again.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

After updating, I let DIM sit open without using it on purpose. Refresh works again nicely. Thanks. :)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

prixat said:

I use and mostly like DIM. However, for reasons like just this case or because people might like to wait and see if there are any issues or maybe don't need the enhancements immediately: would it be at all possible to put an extra option into the upgrade window for DIM so that your options are

Upgrade / Continue downloading without upgrading / Work offline

I understand why the preference would be to have users upgrade, but for cases like this, where there's a known issue that could be easily avoided by Not Upgrading, but you'd still like to use DIM to download your content, it would be nice to be able to have a choice.

edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    prixat said:

I use and mostly like DIM. However, for reasons like just this case or because people might like to wait and see if there are any issues or maybe don't need the enhancements immediately: would it be at all possible to put an extra option into the upgrade window for DIM so that your options are

Upgrade / Continue downloading without upgrading / Work offline

I understand why the preference would be to have users upgrade, but for cases like this, where there's a known issue that could be easily avoided by Not Upgrading, but you'd still like to use DIM to download your content, it would be nice to be able to have a choice.

I'm not sure how this particular case is relevant. If you uninstall Valentina CMS and a DIM upgrade reinstalls it, you can just uninstall it again, or leave it be -- PostgreSQL will still be used if it is installed. I think it would be much riskier, inefficient, and troublesome to have DIM not update itself. Products would need to be tagged for the minimum version of DIM it could be installed with, people would complain about not being able to access products they had bought, etc. Since a major reason for this DIM update is preventing the disconnect errors which have been happening lately, not updating would be far more troublesome.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited June 2014

I'm not sure how this particular case is relevant. If you uninstall Valentina CMS and a DIM upgrade reinstalls it, you can just uninstall it again, or leave it be -- PostgreSQL will still be used if it is installed. I think it would be much riskier, inefficient, and troublesome to have DIM not update itself. Products would need to be tagged for the minimum version of DIM it could be installed with, people would complain about not being able to access products they had bought, etc. Since a major reason for this DIM update is preventing the disconnect errors which have been happening lately, not updating would be far more troublesome.

It's relevant because, in this case, I'd been to the forum and seen that DIM was reinstalling the old database. However, I had content I wanted to download. The choice was either to wait until DIM had been updated again to NOT reinstall Valentina, whenever that will be, or update and uninstall. Being able to download without updating would mean that I could have downloaded without that issue. Then when that issue was fixed, I could have let DIM update. I understand that the disconnect errors were a major issue for some users; on the other hand, if I'd had the option, they could have simply said, "This version corrects the disconnect errors. If you choose not to update at the current time, you may continue to experience these issues." At least then, you get to pick your poison, so to speak; you get to decide which is more problematic for you rather than having it decided for you.

ANYWAY. Done is done, and I understand the support reasons for making sure everyone's on the same version, but I thought it was worth making the request.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited June 2014

OMG! No more being punted into offline mode!! It works!! :cheese:
    *bounces*

Post edited by Madbat on
  • NESS UniverseNESS Universe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My old 32 bit PC crashed and i have massive product content along with renders
    So i have a new 64 Bit PC specifically built for DAZ production on my science fiction books
    Reloading the dim from my products tried to load the old 32 bit DIM which is not good!
    Is their a way to load the 64 bit DIM then the newest daz studio pro 64 bit?
    Then reload my content ?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

amreidell said:
    My old 32 bit PC crashed and i have massive product content along with renders
    So i have a new 64 Bit PC specifically built for DAZ production on my science fiction books
    Reloading the dim from my products tried to load the old 32 bit DIM which is not good!
    Is their a way to load the 64 bit DIM then the newest daz studio pro 64 bit?
    Then reload my content ?

DIM only comes in 32-bit - it works just fine on a 64-bit system.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    Thanks, so I can safely uninstall it again?

Yes, you can uninstall it again.

This is messy. If the content library has been migrated to PostGreSQl (as mine has) then Valentina is not needed and it shouldn't be re-installed. No ifs or buts. No excusing it by saying "Oh, but we haven't got around to taking that out yet". That's wrong behaviour.

Black mark for DAZ in what has been an otherwise good record on recent updates.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,217
    edited June 2014

Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time. Some users can dispense with it, and it would no doubt be polite to allow them to opt out of installing, but it is understandable that DAZ wants to ensure it's there if needed and more experienced users can remove it if they wish rather than have it be optional and deselected by users who do need it.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

It's relevant because, in this case, I'd been to the forum and seen that DIM was reinstalling the old database. However, I had content I wanted to download. The choice was either to wait until DIM had been updated again to NOT reinstall Valentina, whenever that will be, or update and uninstall. Being able to download without updating would mean that I could have downloaded without that issue. Then when that issue was fixed, I could have let DIM update. I understand that the disconnect errors were a major issue for some users; on the other hand, if I'd had the option, they could have simply said, "This version corrects the disconnect errors. If you choose not to update at the current time, you may continue to experience these issues." At least then, you get to pick your poison, so to speak; you get to decide which is more problematic for you rather than having it decided for you.

ANYWAY. Done is done, and I understand the support reasons for making sure everyone's on the same version, but I thought it was worth making the request.The biggest reason is not support but security. :)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

4) Added support for mapping the application path of the Creative Cloud (CC) version of Photoshop; product packages require individual updates to support installation to a mapped CC path, which will be published over the next few days

Does this mean we can stop telling people the bridge doesn't work with CC, or does this only apply for installing things like brushes, actions, etc?
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

Does this mean we can stop telling people the bridge doesn't work with CC, or does this only apply for installing things like brushes, actions, etc?On the Mac the Bridge works with CC, with this release. Windows will probably be next release. (It required more work.)
  • acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time. Some users can dispense with it, and it would no doubt be polite to allow them to opt out of installing, but it is understandable that DAZ wants to ensure it's there if needed and more experienced users can remove it if they wish rather than have it be optional and deselected by users who do need it.

Yes, but it still took somebody asking a question in the forum to clarify what was going on. I don't want services running on my machine that aren't doing anything, and I don't want DAZ to reinstall them when I've previously uninstalled them - at least not without asking first!

Microsoft do this kind of thing all the time (the non-rollbackable Windows 8.1 update breaking Poser 8/9 springs to mind as just one out of many examples) and it is extremely annoying!

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time.

So, when is the update to Carrara, the DAZ flagship application, due out?
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited June 2014

Re the CMS thing. Even though replacing the backend database and making it transparent from within Studio itself is not only a good thing it's a GREAT thing, it still causes confusion--mainly because of the name 'CMS'.

I uninstalled CMS-valentina after I installed CMS-postgreSQL. But I'm not sure whether DIM just reinstalled CMS or not.

In Task Manager under Services I have a DAZ Content Management Service
    under Processes there is a Content Index Service and a Content Management Service.exe

Now those could all be CMS-PGM, and probably are, instead of CMS-Valentina.

In Start Menu I have the Start, Stop, and Uninstall CMS entries. Which I assume mean CMS-PGM and not CMS-Valentina or I could be wrong.

The Kicker is there is NO uninstaller for CMS in the DIM program folder as before which leads me to believe that DIM did NOT install CMS again.

But see how confusing it can be. If those Start Menu entries I mentioned are NOT the old CMS then it would be easy for someone to uninstall CMS-postgre by mistake thinking they are uninstalling the CMS that DIM reinstalled. But if they ARE for the old CMS-Valentina then I will uninstall tout suite because the only explanation for DIM NOT reinstalling CMS-valentina is that it thinks it already exists. And since I thought I had two of them on my machine but could only find one (DIM) when I went to uninstall because I thought the Start Menu items now referred to CMS-PGS.

Soooooooooooo basically do those start menu entries refer to the old one or the new one?

Post edited by Spit on
    edited December 1969

Oh, BTW, thank you thank you for fixing that disconnection problem! Refresh now works!!

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Re the CMS thing. Even though replacing the backend database and making it transparent from within Studio itself is not only a good thing it's a GREAT thing, it still causes confusion--mainly because of the name 'CMS'.

I uninstalled CMS-valentina after I installed CMS-postgreSQL. But I'm not sure whether DIM just reinstalled CMS or not.

In Task Manager under Services I have a DAZ Content Management Service
    under Processes there is a Content Index Service and a Content Management Service.exe

Now those could all be CMS-PGM, and probably are, instead of CMS-Valentina.

In Start Menu I have the Start, Stop, and Uninstall CMS entries. Which I assume mean CMS-PGM and not CMS-Valentina or I could be wrong.

The Kicker is there is NO uninstaller for CMS in the DIM program folder as before which leads me to believe that DIM did NOT install CMS again.

But see how confusing it can be. If those Start Menu entries I mentioned are NOT the old CMS then it would be easy for someone to uninstall CMS-postgre by mistake thinking they are uninstalling the CMS that DIM reinstalled. But if they ARE for the old CMS-Valentina then I will uninstall tout suite because the only explanation for DIM NOT reinstalling CMS-valentina is that it thinks it already exists. And since I thought I had two of them on my machine but could only find one (DIM) when I went to uninstall because I thought the Start Menu items now referred to CMS-PGS.

Soooooooooooo basically do those start menu entries refer to the old one or the new one?

The Start Menu items are for the old Valentina CMS. Right now when you upgrade DIM it will reinstall the Valentina CMS if you've uninstalled it.

edited December 1969

wiz said:
    Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time.

So, when is the update to Carrara, the DAZ flagship application, due out?

They aren't ready to announce a date yet.

edited December 1969

The Start Menu items are for the old Valentina CMS. Right now when you upgrade DIM it will reinstall the Valentina CMS if you've uninstalled it.

Great! Thank you. That explains a lot. I clicked the 'uninstall' entry and I shan't worry about it no more. :)

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

I started using DIM a couple of releases ago when we could finally NOT use the Public Documents folder. It's been working fine ... except for one thing:

Recently the Starship Harpoon showed an update for the Poser installer. I updated. But DIM KEEPS ON showing an update for it. And then ... was it the day before yesterday? .... Mystic Giselle 6 showed an update in DIM, and I updated. But now DIM shows Mystic Giselle 6 as an update too every time. So I seem to be stuck with these two - the Starship Harpoon Poser format installer (but not the DS format installer) and the Mystic Giselle 6 installer just constantly showing as updates every DIM start or refresh. I've updated them; updated them again, uninstalled and reinstalled, uninstalled and deleted and re-downloaded and reinstalled. Nothing seems to make a difference - those two just seem permanently stuck showing as updates. I have had other things show as updates and install without this problem - it's just these two.

Anyone know the cause of this and how to fix it? There was something in another thread a few weeks ago about doing something to reset the DIM internal counts, but I can't remember what it was or how to do it; would that be the thing to do, and if so, how is it done?

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    I started using DIM a couple of releases ago when we could finally NOT use the Public Documents folder. It's been working fine ... except for one thing:

Recently the Starship Harpoon showed an update for the Poser installer. I updated. But DIM KEEPS ON showing an update for it. And then ... was it the day before yesterday? .... Mystic Giselle 6 showed an update in DIM, and I updated. But now DIM shows Mystic Giselle 6 as an update too every time. So I seem to be stuck with these two - the Starship Harpoon Poser format installer (but not the DS format installer) and the Mystic Giselle 6 installer just constantly showing as updates every DIM start or refresh. I've updated them; updated them again, uninstalled and reinstalled, uninstalled and deleted and re-downloaded and reinstalled. Nothing seems to make a difference - those two just seem permanently stuck showing as updates. I have had other things show as updates and install without this problem - it's just these two.

Anyone know the cause of this and how to fix it? There was something in another thread a few weeks ago about doing something to reset the DIM internal counts, but I can't remember what it was or how to do it; would that be the thing to do, and if so, how is it done?

FixInstalledFileRegistry wouldn't help with this. I've seen this happen when they accidentally create a new download instead of an update download, but I'm not seeing it for Starship Harpoon. If you look at the DIM log, does it say anything like this:

Product 14532-3:Elven Hair for Genesis PoserCF is repeated
    [deleted lines]
    Product 1487-1:Treasures of Egypt 2 is repeated
    [deleted lines]
    2 records were repeated product downloads.

edited December 1969

No. The log just has:

Processed 493 installed products, totaling 37.5 GB
    Product 1751-1 has the same name as 2295-1:Allosaurus
    Product 1695-1 has the same name as 2296-1:Gallimimus
    Processed 1619 products with 2331 unique product downloads
    Current Content Install Path:

(I've only used DIM on all the Genesis/Genesis 2 stuff and everything else released since the first Genesis release - I'm leaving everything earlier just installed as it was. Hence 1600+ available downloads showing.)

I did not do a fresh Library install with DIM, but am still using my old DAZ My Library. After starting with DIM (just a couple of versions back when Rob posted how to alter paths so Public Documents wasn't used), I ran all the .exe uninstallers I had for products from the Genesis release onwards, then used DIM to reinstall. But I hadn't had uninstallers created for everything and so DIM installed quite a few things over the original .exe installs. Initially there were no problems. Then there was the Starship Harpoon update, which gave this problem with the Poser files (but NOT the DAZ files). And now the Mystic Goselle 6 thing (which is a new product, so not one of the things I did a DIM install over an .exe one). It's POSSIBLE (I'm not sure - I am very hazy, with very poor memory thanks to the combo of pain and side-effect of pain medications) that these might be two things I initially DIM installed into the wrong place (i.e. had my main Poser runtime selected while installing a DS product, and my DS Library selected while installing a Poser product). I know I've done that a few times before noticing and uninstalling/reinstalling to the right place. It's POSSIBLE I had the wrong place selected for installing the update to (e.g. having the Poser runtime selected when installing the Mystic Giselle 6 UPDATE, while the original was correctly installed to the DS Library), then corrected, and that might have messed up the internal counts.

I remember reading ... I think it was rbtwhiz, posting about how the internal count of number of installs/uninstalls by DIM can go wrong in DIM, creating problems, and a way to reset the counts. I'm wondering if that's the issue here. But I can't remember the details, and I haven't been able to find the relevant posts - the DAZ forum search is really pathetic.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    No. The log just has:

Processed 493 installed products, totaling 37.5 GB
    Product 1751-1 has the same name as 2295-1:Allosaurus
    Product 1695-1 has the same name as 2296-1:Gallimimus
    Processed 1619 products with 2331 unique product downloads
    Current Content Install Path:

(I've only used DIM on all the Genesis/Genesis 2 stuff and everything else released since the first Genesis release - I'm leaving everything earlier just installed as it was. Hence 1600+ available downloads showing.)

I did not do a fresh Library install with DIM, but am still using my old DAZ My Library. After starting with DIM (just a couple of versions back when Rob posted how to alter paths so Public Documents wasn't used), I ran all the .exe uninstallers I had for products from the Genesis release onwards, then used DIM to reinstall. But I hadn't had uninstallers created for everything and so DIM installed quite a few things over the original .exe installs. Initially there were no problems. Then there was the Starship Harpoon update, which gave this problem with the Poser files (but NOT the DAZ files). And now the Mystic Goselle 6 thing (which is a new product, so not one of the things I did a DIM install over an .exe one). It's POSSIBLE (I'm not sure - I am very hazy, with very poor memory thanks to the combo of pain and side-effect of pain medications) that these might be two things I initially DIM installed into the wrong place (i.e. had my main Poser runtime selected while installing a DS product, and my DS Library selected while installing a Poser product). I know I've done that a few times before noticing and uninstalling/reinstalling to the right place. It's POSSIBLE I had the wrong place selected for installing the update to (e.g. having the Poser runtime selected when installing the Mystic Giselle 6 UPDATE, while the original was correctly installed to the DS Library), then corrected, and that might have messed up the internal counts.

I remember reading ... I think it was rbtwhiz, posting about how the internal count of number of installs/uninstalls by DIM can go wrong in DIM, creating problems, and a way to reset the counts. I'm wondering if that's the issue here. But I can't remember the details, and I haven't been able to find the relevant posts - the DAZ forum search is really pathetic.

I don't think it's relate to your problem -- Fix Installed File Registry makes sure DIM won't leave behind files when uninstalling because they were installed manually before being installed with DIM, but it doesn't change DIM's listing of what products are installed.

Do you have content updates set to install to the respective installed paths? That avoids accidentally installing an update to the wrong location. But again, that wouldn't cause DIM to treat something as not installed.

edited December 1969

Fixed it at last.

Still have no idea why it started with those two packages.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Is there a setting to tell DIM to download just one item at a time? It's eating up to much of my bandwidth that I can't browse and I loose my internet radio connectivity! I don't like that!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Just check the box next to the pack and download that one pack