Can’t open Daz 4.6

aag135aag135 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

DAZ4.6 won't open on my Win 8 system.
I tried to load it on this machine a while ago. I can’t remember the exact problems, but felt it was my fault, because I got confused during the download. I uninstalled everything from this machine and am trying again.
The DIM and DAZ Studio seem to have downloaded okay, but when I click on the shortcut to open the program, it puts an icon on my task bar, but won’t come up on the monitor. If I hover over this icon, I see the small image of the opening screen, as if it has opened normally. This icon also refuses to respond to the x command to shut down. The only way to clear it is to have the task manager “end task”.

Nothing else on this pc is malfunctioning.

I don’t speak computer very well, so please keep this in mind when making suggestions. Thanks.

I tried posting this on the tag end of a similar question from someone else, but don't know if anyone will pay attention to a new post on an OLD topic. I know that the forum moderators usually respond within a few hours...so my apologies if this turns into a repeat.

Comments

• aag135aag135 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Apologies if this has posted several times!! I tried to add this onto an old post, referring to a similar question, then tried to write a new one, but it doesn't seem to be listed.
    I am having trouble opening DAZ4.6 on my Win 8 system.
    I tried to load it on this machine a while ago. I can’t remember the exact problems, but felt it was my fault, because I got confused during the download. I uninstalled everything from this machine and am trying again.
    The DIM and DAZ Studio seem to have downloaded okay, but when I click on the shortcut to open the program, it puts an icon on my task bar, but won’t come up on the monitor. If I hover over this icon, I see the small image of the opening screen, as if it has opened normally. This icon also refuses to respond to the x command to shut down. The only way to clear it is to have the task manager “end task”.

Nothing else on this pc is malfunctioning.

I don’t speak computer very well, so please keep this in mind when making suggestions. Thanks.

PM

Edit

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,810
    edited December 1969

Try using alt+tab to switch to the desktop, then back to DAZ Studio - sometimes an application will get stuck, and Windows refuses to acknowledge that it isn't the top-most already.

edited December 1969

Alt + tab doesn't seem to work in this situation.
    With the DAZ icon showing on the tool bar, I hit alt + Tab. Both screens popped into the middle of my monitor, (flickering like crazy), but when I click on the DAZ screen, nothing happens. The monitor flickers, but doesn't bring DAZ forward.
    I understand how it's supposed to work, because I tried the same procedure while looking at the forum- 3 options popped up, showing desktop, DAZ, and forum. I was able to switch between desktop and forum, but not DAZ.

In the Task Manager, I see that right clicking on the DAZ studio App gives me the option to "Expand". This showed me a line for DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro. Right clicking on this produced the following options: switch to, bring to front, minimize, and maximize. None of this seems to make a difference either.

Any other suggestions??

edited December 1969

Close it and go to the log file - C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\DAZ3D\Studio4\log.txt. where You is your user name; you will, if you haven't already, need to enable the display of hidden files and folders in the Explorer ribbon bar. What are the last dozen or so lines of the file?

edited December 1969

Looks bad...but I don't know what any of it means:

Error writing author data!
    Total class factories: 1266
    WARNING: 3DConnexion Plug-in Error: Could not create Device, CoCreateInstance failed
    3D mouse support library could not be loaded.
    Creating interface
    Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport1.
    Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport2.
    Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport3.
    Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport4.
    WARNING: QFile::flush: No file engine. Is IODevice open?
    WARNING: Could not parse stylesheet of widget 0xd538ca0
    Executing startup script...
    Started in: C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4
    DAZ Studio Started
    Creating Pixel Buffer
    Pixel buffer - Width: 1024 Height: 1024
    Compiling OpenGL Shader...

edited December 1969

What video card or chipset are you using - the fact that the last entry relates to OpenGL (the system used for showing items on screen) does suggest the problem could be related to that.

edited May 2014

NVIDIA GeForce GT640 ver. 311.06
    Intel Core i5 processor 3330

Post edited by aag135 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

aag135 said:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT640 ver. 311.06
    Intel Core i5 processor 3330

I think that video driver is out-of-date.

edited December 1969

I've updated the driver to ver. 335.23.
    No joy, unfortunately.
    Any more ideas?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Check the NVIDIA Control Panel -- under "Manage 3D Settings" it may give you a choice whether to use the NVIDIA card or Integrated Graphics. If so, make sure DAZ Studio is set to use the NVIDIA card.

nvidia.jpg
    552 x 350 - 68K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Windows 8 even when the user is the Admin does not allow the PC Admin to use Admin functions by default. If the programs need installed as Admin permission the user of Win 8 has to do install as Admin as a extra step or the programs are not installed in Admin mode. One reason I avoided Win 8. Smart software is only smart when it is user friendly.

edited December 1969

On the NVIDIA control panel I added DAZ to line #1.
    #2 says- "Specify the settings for this program"...nothing about selecting the preferred graphics processor.
    The settings listed seem to be the same as in the global settings section (I mean the same list of items, I haven't compared it to see if everything is set the same way in both lists.)

edited December 1969

Here's another thing to consider- when I look at screen resolution on my pc's control panel it shows 2 monitors:
    #1=Generic Non-Pnp Monitor @ 640x480, with the warning that this res is too low for some apps to open

#2=( What I really have) HP w2207 Wide LCD @ 1680 x 1050. It IS listed as my main display, but since I only have one hooked up, I'm not sure why it is listed as #2. I tried switching the cable to the other port, but it made no difference.

Could this be the problem? Is DAZ trying to use the nonexistent #1 monitor? Is there a way to change the designation?

I have had problems in the past with other apps which refused to open and say the resolution is too low, (though I know better). Later, for no obvious reason, they've opened anyway. However, when I try to open DAZ studio, I don't get any error message, just what I described earlier- the icon shows up on the task bar, but won't open up on my screen.

edited December 1969

Yes, I think DS would use the primary (#1) monitor on launch. I have only a single monitor, I'm not sure how you would change which was primary.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

Hmm... I though most Dual Mon controllers had a setting to tick that forced programs to the monitor driver picked. Do you have a App for the dual Controller that will take a list of PRGs, most use a browse feature to add the prgs, and you then set that list of PRG's to just the Monitor and driver you want. I've never ran dual and the only user I know who does is off line right now. Night in that part of the world.

EDIT: like What Mike showed.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I bumbled around and got DS to open!! I wish I could explain clearly what I did, so it would be helpful to others.
    At one point I somehow managed to disable my monitor, so I couldn't use the computer at all until I hooked up a second monitor. After re-enabling my original monitor, the program opened on both screens. After going through several glitchy variations, I was able to disconnect the second monitor and set the device manager to "Show desktop only on 2" (which is how my main display is designated). I can't remember how this option was previously set. MAYBE that was the whole problem. Who knows. Somewhere in the forums I remember seeing a reference to "forcing a path and creating a connection" that would be recognized in the future. Sounds like Voodoo or advanced AI.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who tried to help. I learned a bit from this adventure!

Consider it solved.

• edited December 1969

Having this same problem I have read support topics all over the place and nothing helped until now.

What I found is that my computer has a built in video card I disabled when I installed a new Nvidia card so when viewing my display settings I also get the two monitor selection (The second being my new card) Not knowing what it was I left it alone.

After trying all kinds things that failed, I read this post then went back to the display setting and decided to select the second and set desktop to only use #2.

Problem solved!

So I guess it's a problem affecting Desktop PCs with built in video cards that upgrade to newer cards. Hope this is helpful...

edited December 1969

PP99smoker- You refined my answer in a very concise manner. It should be more helpful than my own comments.

• VShaneVShane Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

excellent yes this worked for me as well!