Render Throttle

SilverElfSilverElf Posts: 45
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I was looking at this product today in the store and I was wondering if anyone had purchased it and used it.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/render-throttle-for-daz-studio/

Does it do what it says it does? I was wondering if it does indeed significantly cut down render times while not doing anything to image quality...

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I do not belive it runs in DS4. Also the new render engine in DS4 does not need this plugin. And last but not least I do have it and no it did not do the renders as well as a SLOW DS render could. A better PC was the answer to my render speed.

• SilverElfSilverElf Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I do not belive it runs in DS4. Also the new render engine in DS4 does not need this plugin. And last but not least I do have it and no it did not do the renders as well as a SLOW DS render could. A better PC was the answer to my render speed.

Cool Thanks :)

At least I didn't waist money then on something not for DS4. My render times still crawl with trans mapped hair even when I use the uber shaders which lower the time on it. I guess I just got to get used to the slower DS render speeds compared to what I get in Poser.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

SilverElf said:
    I guess I just got to get used to the slower DS render speeds compared to what I get in Poser.

You should try Carrara. Then you'll know what a really fast render speed is. And it is still slow to me...
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

You can save Render Presets in DS4 (File>Save as>Render preset) which replace most of what render Throttle does - you lack the ability to switch how uberSurface interacts with raytracing and occlusion though.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited December 1969

You can save Render Presets in DS4 (File>Save as>Render preset) which replace most of what render Throttle does - you lack the ability to switch how uberSurface interacts with raytracing and occlusion though.

I figured out how to save a render preset, but I can't figure out how to reload it later. I must be missing something obvious, but where is ti?

edited December 1969

Render Settings, Presets: Click and all the presets will list, your saved ones will be at the bottom of the list.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Render Settings, Presets: Click and all the presets will list, your saved ones will be at the bottom of the list.

I think this is what your are talking about, right? I have that part figured out. That only saves and restores the dimensions and aspect ratio ratio, I believe. I want to save and restore all the render settings, like shading rate, pixel samples, etc.. I know how to save them from the file menu->save as->render setting preset. I don't see anything in the menu or on the render settings tab to restore them. The only thing I've found is locating them in the Content Library and clicking on the icon there. It seems like there should be a way to access them from the render setting tab. Maybe there isn't.
    render_presets.jpg
    380 x 940 - 121K
    edited July 2012

Your 100% correct. I never noticed because I use Icon presests that Adamr001 made. I find the Icon presets very easy to use so I never bother with the Drop down in Render Settings. I did notice they were listed, I just never tried it before. Thank you for this heads up. I would never have known.

EDIT: As a FYI the DS3 presets were transfered By hand from DS3 to DS4 and resaved as new Presets.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

File>Save as>Render preset saves a preset, in much the same way as File>Save as>Pose preset does. You load it through the Content Library or Smart Content panes, or with File>Merge.You can also, if there's a preset you want to use frequently, find it in a content pane, right-click on it and make it into a Custom Action - which will add it to the Scripts menu (and create the Scripts menu if you don't already have one); if you like you can then use Window>Workspace>Customise (Edit>Customise in older versions of DS) to put the action on a different menu, such as the render menu.

edited December 1969

Darn good tips Richard. I like all those options.