What happen to the installers

gregory mgregory m Posts: 99
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I been restalling data base into my new computer starting new I started to work with poser 9 and Daz Studio 4 I have some programs I brought back in 2004 to 2006 in on CD's. I lost many my programs from Daz3d so I am using Da3d library to get these lost programs, I been coming across many programs the installers was stripped from them, and now one have to go thru extra steps to get into my computer. So far all the installers used by Daz3d (2004 to 2010) still worked in poser 9. Those programs I loss the installers I like to have them back again so make easy put them back into the Daz programs back into computer-.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,818
    edited December 1969

Are you referring to the replacement of installers with plain Zips? That's a recent move, with older content being given priority as the mac installers weren't working at all on new machines. At the moment you have to install by hand (fairly simple on Windows), but the plan is for there to be an install manager that will function as the old installers did - it will just be a single download that will then handle all zips, instead of being attached to each piece of content.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'll be glade when it all goes to zips, I hate installers.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

And many love them. Regardless some are going to be disappointing no matter which way they go.

• edited July 2012

I actually do like the installers, but I don't mind either way. Whether zip or exe/installer file, content still gets installed.

Where I'm having issues with this right now though is that currently from what I'm seeing, the .zip installers are only including Studio stuff... this one for example : http://www.daz3d.com/shop/tales-of-adventure-for-stephanie-petite/

Open the zip file. It is all starting with CONTENT/Runtime/....

Which of course means I now have to dump it into a folder outside of my Runtime, manually MOVE all of the files to their appropriate place. Now, while I don't mind having to do that for freebies, I've kind of come to expect moe fluid installing from Daz, so having to do it with Daz files is VERY irritating. LOL

*Shrugs*

I don't mind the move to zips... but I think they need to fine tune it a bit.

[Edited for the SPACING again......]

Post edited by Seliah (Childe of Fyre) on
  • edited December 1969

I should mention, too... that for some reason the MAT files included in the zip file for the linked item above... do NOT work. I am having to manually apply each and every texture to each and every material zone... and when I looked at the code in the .PZ2 file, I can't see any major difference other than the lack of Poser version number...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Apparently once the installer app arrives it should be able to do it automatically even for Poser users.

I have alwas unzipped to a temp folder and then moved stuff where I want it, not where someone else feels I should have it, so it isn't making too much difference to me,

However Inside the Content folder is a complete runtime folder, so you should just be able to move the library structure to whichever runtime you want to have the contents in without too much problems.

• edited December 1969

The trouble is, Chohole... that for whatever reason, the MAT files simply do not work.

Click. Nothing.

No textures apply... I had to manually assign each texture, to each material zone. Not that I mind this terribly in terms of my habit of altering/changing the stock textures of an item anyway, but the problem is that the MAT files should work as they're supposed to.

I opened up the .PZ2 files to take a look and I can't see anything that would make it not apply. So I do not know if this is a file issue with the installer (I've uninstalled/redownloaded/reinstalled several times now - still no joy), or if maybe it's something about how Poser 9 is handling .PZ2 files that lack the "Poser version number X" thing...

Example... this is what the .PZ2 code looks like for the Celeste boots for SP3 (which works fine, and was installed via Daz's executable installers...)

{
    version
    {
    number 4.01
    }
    figure
    {
    material HeelRivets

And this is what the .PZ2 code looks like for the SP3 Tales of Adventure file (which was installed via the ZIP installer, the Content/Runtime... directory, and does NOT apply ANY textures :

{
    figure
    {
    material hem
    {

Now, I don't think this is a DS vs. Poser thing, I can't see that one little ommission of code causing the textures to not apply. And I also admittedly have not tested this in Poser 7 - I'm using version 9 on this machine. But when I go to use the supplied MAT poses... they just don't do anything. Click and nothing. I've never run across this issue with the executable installers...

edited December 1969

Can you submit a support ticket on this please. THere does seem to be a problem. Use the Zendesk support and Tech SUpport as the dept.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

I think the original poster was asking how to get his old stuff back. Resetting your orders from your order history is the way, but the poor guy probably couldn't find anything and didn't want to keep paging through all those pages...way back to 2004? That's a lot of pages! The fact that he's not been back it probably because he is passed out somewhere with the order history on his screen. Or he didn't think he'd get the answer he needs.

Dana

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

"manually MOVE all of the files to their appropriate place"

Why? I unzip the file, check the folders, then cut the runtime and paste it in the right runtime folder. I know it is all there and in the right folder structure and in the right place because I put it there. For an installer I do the same thing, I install to a dummy folder, check the folders, the cut and paste the runtime. The difference is all the clickety clicks to get it set up to install. I can usually have a zip sorted and in a runtime before I'm done with the clickety clicks to install the content with an installer. I've learned; thanks to installers, to never install directly to my runtimes/studio content folder. I saves me some hassle, like textures going in to the wrong folder so the cr2 can't find them when you load the content.

Note: I do as little as possible in the cluster F studio content folder.

Seliah once you have applied your textures resave the content. One of the few things I use studio for is content repair.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • gregory mgregory m Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

To make it clear I just want Daz go back before the new store so it make easy form down load my programs. Just until I learn how use the zip to install into poser 9 once I able to that I be happy with zip again. If Daz is worry about the old installers does not work in poser 9 all the programs down load from CD's worked so far the oldest program went into poser 9 is 4/2004 that was portrait Studio props

edited December 1969

Note I been with Daz since 2003 they went thru many types of styles how they post thier notes what their programs are where to find after installing them.

edited December 1969

Greg said:
    To make it clear I just want Daz go back before the new store so it make easy form down load my programs. Just until I learn how use the zip to install into poser 9 once I able to that I be happy with zip again. If Daz is worry about the old installers does not work in poser 9 all the programs down load from CD's worked so far the oldest program went into poser 9 is 4/2004 that was portrait Studio props

Go back? Go back? It took years to convince them to move to zip files! No going back!!! But as far as I can tell, they haven't really done much with zip files yet. Even the brand new products are still coming in installers! What a waste of their time! They have to create the installers. Then later they'll have to convert them to zip files. Why aren't they just making the new stuff zip files in the first place? Avoid some extra work down the road.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    "manually MOVE all of the files to their appropriate place"

Why? I unzip the file, check the folders, then cut the runtime and paste it in the right runtime folder. I know it is all there and in the right folder structure and in the right place because I put it there. For an installer I do the same thing, I install to a dummy folder, check the folders, the cut and paste the runtime. The difference is all the clickety clicks to get it set up to install. I can usually have a zip sorted and in a runtime before I'm done with the clickety clicks to install the content with an installer. I've learned; thanks to installers, to never install directly to my runtimes/studio content folder. I saves me some hassle, like textures going in to the wrong folder so the cr2 can't find them when you load the content.

Note: I do as little as possible in the cluster F studio content folder.

Seliah once you have applied your textures resave the content. One of the few things I use studio for is content repair.

Why unzip them first? With a decent archiver you can see what the folder structure is without unzipping it to your drive anywhere! I use a totally free (not shareware, freeware...there is a difference) archiver and I can see the folders when I open a zip file with it. All that unzipping then cutting wreaks havoc with your hard drive...it's called fragmenting...and it tends to slow the system down. I only unzip to a test folder when I can see that the structure is screwed up, so I can fix it. Otherwise I unzip it directly to where i want it.

Dana

edited December 1969

With the new zips that only works for DS, doesn't work for poser, as the runtime structure is packaged within the Content folder.

edited December 1969

I think a lot, if not most, have different runtimes and have a folder above it to name it. I could be wrong. But if not, just unzipping to that folder works just fine.

But if not, then it's simple enough to drag the Runtime folder onto the Poser Runtime folder and it will just put everything where it belongs. I think most archivers allow drag and drop these days. Mine does, I use IZArc.

Dana

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

I'm a big fan of zip files. Unzipping to a temp folder and dragging to the appropriate place in your installation is STILL a lot fewer clicks than any of the old installers. I went on a mini-binge last nite with the PC items open season and got zip files + 2 or 3 generations of exe installers. Knowing which generation of installers needed which default options disabled always required care and attention, not to mention the umpteen button clicks. Did I mention I'm a fan of zip files? Oorah! :-)

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Can you submit a support ticket on this please. THere does seem to be a problem. Use the Zendesk support and Tech SUpport as the dept.

Will do, definitely.

edited December 1969

Don't worry I am getting to point in my downloads from Daz I will start to learn to install zip programs into poser 9, I didn't tell most all you I was down from 9/11 to 4/12 the person who upgrade my old computer turn it into a paper weight. Just in 4/12 I got a new computer after two month delay. Seven monthes I want to render I have wait in begining I just rush things to just get going again so I made mistakes installing programs in poser 9 and time limits I can be the computer now I am all most done restalling most programs from Daz into poser 9.