New User unable to get starter content to work.

Raven_47935Raven_47935 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I just downloaded the DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro last night. The files that come with the program work fine, but the files for the Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials will not show up under the files tab, and will not work. I used the installer to install all the files, and went back and uninstalled and reinstalled the 2 starter packs twice, and they still will not work. Below is what shows in my contents directory manager:

Content Sets
Current Directories
DAZ Studio Formats
C:/Users/Name/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
Poser Formats
C:/Users/Name/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
Other Import Formats

Is this what's supposed to be there or is there a problem here. I've tried to find the answer in the help material, but either I'm missing it, or it's not there. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Those are the correct default settings -- can you give an example of what isn't appearing, and what isn't working? If you right-click on the package in DAZ Install Manager and choose "Show Installed Files" you can see the exact file names and locations.

edited December 1969

Also, did you install "Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio"?

• Raven_47935Raven_47935 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nothing in the two Essential starter packs will show in the files section. This includes hair options, clothing options, enviromental, and background options. They can only be seen when the products tab is selected, and you right click on the product icon and select view product. i checked DIM, and right clicked on the files and they are both showing to be loaded in

And yes, "Default lights and Shaders etc." was loaded. Thanks for the help so far.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Have you Tried a Re-Import of Metadata? Not sure if needed but it sounds like some things did not list in the Database fully.

edited December 1969

I went and tried the re-import meta-data, but it didn't work. This is very frustrating. Looks like a complete reinstall.

edited December 1969

Do the files show in Content Library > DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > People > Genesis 2 Female?

edited December 1969

Yes, but you have to expand the tree 3 more steps to get to them.

Content Library>Daz Studios Formats>My DAZ 3D Library>People>Genesis 2 Female>Clothing>Basic Wear>Materials Will get the basic outfits Persian Beauty Outfit>Materials will get to the special outfits.

The Extra hair and enviroment files are found the same way down several more steps.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

If by "files section" you mean smart content tab, perhaps your CMS is not working. You can start it from start - programs - daz 3d - daz content management service - start daz content management service or something like that if you use Windows.

edited December 1969

Ok, went and started CMS, still not working. Re-imported MetaData again still nothing. I can see the files in the Product tab in the Smart content, and in the file tree in the content Library, but when I dbl click, or right click and hit merge, a couple of boxes pop up near the figure as if it's loading, but nothing shows up. The boxes pop up really, really quick. I only recognize them from seeing them when other content is loading. I really would like to use this program, but I don't want to put money into content for a balky program.Oh well, I guess I could try a reinstall.

edited May 2014

But under Files in Smart Content you dont have anything? And under Products, if you double click G2F Starter Essentials does it show contents of starter essentials? And if so, if you double click G2F Base Female (icon with Actor written on it) does it load the figure?

Post edited by ben98120000 on
    edited December 1969

Yes, but you have to expand the tree 3 more steps to get to them.

Content Library>Daz Studios Formats>My DAZ 3D Library>People>Genesis 2 Female>Clothing>Basic Wear>Materials Will get the basic outfits Persian Beauty Outfit>Materials will get to the special outfits.

The Extra hair and enviroment files are found the same way down several more steps.

Going all the way to the material will get you materials, not the clothing themselves. When you have "Basic wear " or "Persian beauty outfit" selected, there shoud be icons for clothing (with "wardrobe" on them). Attempting to apply materials on something other than items they are made for will usually do nothing than some menu quickly poping out and than nothing.
    edited December 1969

OK, now that I understand what I was doing wrong, I feel really dumb. I was trying to apply the materials to the figure instead of the basic wardrobe pieces themselves. I didn't understand the difference until the last post, and then it made sense, and things worked right. I see now how things are labeled and work together. Thanks for all the help and patience.

A classic example of the program being smarter than the operator.:red: