Asset Files missing?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,609
edited December 1969 in New Users

Sorry if this has been asked before. I think some assets have gotten lost in moving my files around. I've set up a separate computer for Daz work. The program is on the main drive and the product and project on another drive. Opening up an old project results in a long list of missing assets. The model then load but with cubes where the missing elements are.

Any way to reconnect this project to the assets?

Comments

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609
    edited December 1969

This is for Daz Studio on a Mac. The list of files is almost all /data/auto_adapted/ then the product name.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

When you moved the content did you move ALL the old content folder? And is DAZ Studio pointing to that folder as a Path now?
    The Data Folder is saved in the Top DAZ Studio Content folder on your old configuration. That folder is needed to open the saved Scene files properly.

edited December 1969

Thanks. I found a data file in the Users---Shared---My Daz 3d Library folder. I suppose I should either move that to the other drive…or find how to ensure that Daz is pointing to that folder.

edited December 1969

I suppose part of this is just about where to install content. My idea was keep it all on a secondary drive, but maybe Daz Studio is happier if it is on the same drive as the OS and the Applications?

edited December 1969

Answering my own question here: I found that in the Content Directory Manager I "added" the MyLibrary folder as well as the MyLibrary/data folder. It seems with just the latter it wasn't working, but with the former added it now loaded the models without any missing assets.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    I found that in the Content Directory Manager I "added" the MyLibrary folder as well as the MyLibrary/data folder. It seems with just the latter it wasn't working, but with the former added it now loaded the models without any missing assets.

Only the "My Library" folder is right. Remove the "My Library/data/" one, or else you will have major problems eventually — you must never have a content location setting inside another content location setting. And "deep linking" is guaranteed never to work, you must always set a content location so that all the "must have" folders inside (e.g. "data" and "Runtime") are in the proper relative positions.
    edited December 1969

I'm fully lost I have zero Idea how the Content folder(s) are set up. But It does not sound remotely correct.

edited December 1969

How are they supposed to be set up? What is the ideal hierarchy?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The location you specify as the content folder should not end in "Data" or "Runtime", but in the folder CONTAINING those two folders, e..g. "My Library" or "My DAZ 3D Library". If the Data folder is not directly underneath the content folder location, the files won't be found.

edited May 2014

I have ONE content folder and only ONE at this time. It is on my D drive, where it is does not matter a bit. If it is Set up properly does matter.
    First Image my Mapped folder. One is as much of it as I can show in one Snap last is my DIM set to use it.

All my content works...

Capture-001.png
    517 x 961 - 86K
    Capture-002.png
    643 x 845 - 110K
    Paths-External.PNG
    477 x 464 - 50K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I have no folders actually called "Content." I do have a "data" folder inside my "My Daz Library" folder. All the asset files Daz Studio is asking for are there…but for some reason the program will not load them. I just get the boxy volumes where the model should be. I thought this was a Content Directory Manager issue and had currently have the "My Daz Library" folder listed under the "Daz Studio Formats" heading.

So the old project - which included Urban Sprawl - only loads as those boxes. When I try to load Urban Sprawl in a new project, I get a dialogue box saying it can't find a file in the -- My Daz Library/Props/Stonemason/UrbanSprawl2/ -- folder. It still won't load even when I add that specific folder to the list in Content Directory Manager.

It is a puzzlement.

edited May 2014

As shown Folders Should be mapped as BOTH formats as content can be in either. Poser or DAZ Studio.

Only Poser only folders as in a Runtime type folders gets mapped as Poser only. All DAZ Studio Content folders should be mapped as both formats...

Paths-External-Full.PNG
    424 x 461 - 51K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I installed the latest Daz and added my Daz Library to the Poser Formats part of the Content Directory Manager. Still can't load Urban Sprawl. Oddly, I can load individual buildings, just not assembled blocks.

It seems you have a "My Daz Library" for different product sets. Is that right? One for Artco. One for DarkAnvil. Etc? Is there a rational behind that?

Thanks for the help.

edited December 1969

Also, I wonder if the best option at this point is uninstalling urban Sprawl and then re-installing it.

edited December 1969

I do not have that set up any longer it was done to show proper folder mapping once in the past.
    I have been using DAZ Studio from DAZ Studio version 2, I have many old style content folders. I will set them up for doing some work that involves just the needed folder at that time. I still have many folders but only ONE full folder for DAZ Studio 4.5+ and all my new content. I use the other folders as work folders, I swap them in or out as needed, to test new things. That keeps me from messing up my one full folder if I make a bad boo boo.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    When I try to load Urban Sprawl in a new project, I get a dialogue box saying it can't find a file in the -- My Daz Library/Props/Stonemason/UrbanSprawl2/ -- folder. It still won't load even when I add that specific folder to the list in Content Directory Manager.

It won't load especially when you add that specific folder to Content Directory Manager. Re-read my last post upthread — you're doing what is called "deep-linking", which doesn't work. You don't add the specific folder an item's files are stored in, the Content Directory Manager should already have the content folder which contains all your installed items in the correct sub-folders.

As for "the Content folder", this does seem to confuse a lot of people. It doesn't mean "the folder named Content", it means "the folder set up in Content Directory Manager as containing content files". It can be named anything — you already have a folder "My DAZ Library" set up as this, although you must make sure exactly the same folder is also set up as a Poser content location.

edited December 1969

I have it now set in the Directory Manger that just the My LIbrary folder is listed for both Daz and Poser content. Trying to load Urban Sprawl still brings up the dialogue box saying "one or more files could not be loaded while loading file:" etc. It says see log file for details….where do I find Log File?

Trying to load a project that included Urban Sprawl still brings up the list of missing assets…all of them Data/auto_adapted/ files.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    I have it now set in the Directory Manger that just the My LIbrary folder is listed for both Daz and Poser content. Trying to load Urban Sprawl still brings up the dialogue box saying "one or more files could not be loaded while loading file:" etc. It says see log file for details….where do I find Log File?

Trying to load a project that included Urban Sprawl still brings up the list of missing assets…all of them Data/auto_adapted/ files.

The log file is in Help >Troubleshooting > View log file

Does Urban Sprawl load from the original files? auto_adapted files are created when you load a scene from Poser formats, so if your content folders weren't set up correctly it's not surprising they can't be found when reloading a saved scene.

edited December 1969

What other sort of files would it load from? I installed the Urban Sprawl "DS" files which I assume are for Daz Studio as opposed to Poser. I did this using install manager, so they were placed according to it's mysterious ways. I wonder if re-installing would make any difference?

edited December 1969

Reinstalling Urban sprawl seemed to work in that I can now load an entire block into a new scene. The old project that included Urban Sprawl, however, still results in a list of missing files. Furthermore, I don't seem to have anything in the Smart Content Pane. It's as though none of that meta-date for smart content is recognized anymore.

edited December 1969

There are two Urban Sprawls the First is a Single load Poser only set the other Urban Sprawl2 the Big City is fully DAZ Studio and has a full load or 4 parts or separate buildings which file did you use in your Saved Scene?

edited December 1969

I did find in the pop-out list of the Smart Content pane a "Content DB Maintenance" menu. That gave as one option a checkbox for "Re-Import Metadata" and that seems to have gone a long way to restore my Smart Content list. Whew. Sometimes it helps to just explore.

There is a sort of interface glitch for newbies….that little list icon "display options for active pane" changes depending on what tab you have selected. So if you're in Smart Content you get one list of options. If you're in Content Library you get a different list entirely. It's a bit confusing. It would be clearer if that icon perhaps floated with the tabs so it is clear each tab has it's own list.

Enough adventure for today. More tomorrow.