BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Early Summer Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ­▄▀▄▀▄ STREAMS ▄▀▄▀▄

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited May 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Ninth DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is "Streams"
ɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚ

C-ram actually gave me the theme as "Tropical Stream" but I felt that may be too limiting for a contest of this sort, so have changed it to just be simply "Streams" which gives much more leeway in subject matter, which we prefer for this challenge.. Feel free to use imports and postwork is allowed but not so that it dominates your image. OK, Bryce away!

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that. I collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 30th June :- Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. Jaderail has offered $20 and DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Agree with you chohole, the theme I've suggest is too limitative. So the new challenge is starting!! Good luck to everyone and I'm waiting to see some new and great renders. Count on me too, I'm still working on right now.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Thank you C-ram and Chohole... for this challenge...
    Hmmm... How to approach this theme.... The concept is the biggest challenge... There are so many ways to look at it. Fun!
    Steve

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

A good idea - should be interesting!

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

This one sounds like fun but maybe a real challenge for me. I'm still trying to learn things but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

This one sounds like fun but maybe a real challenge for me. I'm still trying to learn things but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Go for it!!! That's how you learn. :coolsmirk:
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Maybe this time the old gray matter can come up with something better suited to the theme.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I like it when people use lateral thinking about the themes

edited December 1969

But if I use too much lateral thinking, I usually end up falling off my chair.;-)

edited December 1969

Just make sure it is not stream side, else you may get washed away. :coolsmirk:

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited December 1969

what an interesting topic. I look forward to your ideas :-)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

So I've now completed the base scene which I hope I can develop with some vegetation and stuff... Though even this part was taking over 4 hours to render so adding trees and plants is going to be a long job. :)

Stream.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 380K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Re-shaped and re-textured the terrain and added vegetation. Also decided it needed more sky so made it square now.

Stream8.jpg
    975 x 975 - 457K
    edited December 1969

@Pam: I'm not worried, I can swim. ;-)

@Dave: That scene is looking really good.

This WIP started as an exercise to see if I could finally get a good looking terrain, something besides a single mountain. I tried combining a couple of textures and fiddled with one, added a curvature filter, another experiment, and saw it might have a use for this challenge. I also rendered one using haze, which seems to work well. The first is after tweaking the material a bit and the second after adding haze. Any comments are gladly welcomed.

Ravine_8.png
    1326 x 663 - 1M
    Ravine_7.png
    1326 x 663 - 1M
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey Savage;

Beautiful job on the terrain and the stream. Nicely done sir!

Bruce

edited December 1969

Hi Guss

Like where your idea is going - looking good buddy. I can never seem to get terrains quite right and will have to check out some of David's tutorials such as the curvature filter everyone seems to be talking about.

I have been thinking about the theme for this challenge, but for some reason my brain has turned to mush this week. I am looking forward to seeing your final image and the other forum members entries.

Have a great weekend!

Bruce

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Dave- absolutely beautiful render, a cross between a photo and a painting.

Guss- the terrains are looking great.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Dave: beautiful job!!!

Guss: I like your idea a lot!!

edited December 1969

@Bruce/mermaid/Trish: Thank you. Still tinkering away on it, adding bits and pieces.

edited December 1969

Dave : right in the theme! Wonderful work!

Guss : this is a really good start.

Still working on my stream picture, hope I can post a WIP sooner.

edited December 1969

Great start to the challenge. I am still thinking, and at my age that can sometimes take a while as the cogs need some time to get into the right gear. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Great start to the challenge. I am still thinking, and at my age that can sometimes take a while as the cogs need some time to get into the right gear. :coolsmirk:

@ Chohole: I can really relate. Now that I just turned 60 a few weeks back, my mind has turned to mush on thinking of a design for this challenge. :red:

Best of luck to everyone on this latest challenge - Looking forward to seeing some cool designs from our friends here.

Bruce

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Great start to the challenge. I am still thinking, and at my age that can sometimes take a while as the cogs need some time to get into the right gear.

Same here...but that said, have to admit had problems with all the previous themes, too - sometimes, the creative juices just haven't fermented quite yet. Like the two so far, however, from Savage and Guss.

Jay

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@Dave - your stream looks great.

@GussNemo - promising start with that terrain.

The problem is not that I have no ideas, the problem is rather that I only have the wrong ones.

edited December 1969

Here is my WIP for the challenge. I've only work on the atmosphere with a foggy dome and for the moment there's only rocks and a little bit of vegetation on the arch and of course the stream itself.

Now that everything seems in place, I'm going to populate my scene with a mix of Bryce palm trees and some vegetation from xfrog oceania plantes bundles.

Hope you find it promissing.

Tropical_Stream2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 36K
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    Hope you find it promissing.

I do. Great start.
    edited December 1969

I agree

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited May 2014

Great start c- ram....Here is something that I am trying to develop into something...what yet I am not sure....How long do we have on this contest anyway???? Trish

streams3.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Trish on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Great start c- ram....Here is something that I am trying to develop into something...what yet I am not sure....How long do we have on this contest anyway???? Trish

Challenge ends on 30th June :- Midnight DAZ 3D time.

edited May 2014

@c-ram: Thank you. Your WIP is an alright scent. Will be interested to see the final scene.

@Horo: Thanks.

@Trish: A start is a start. Keep going, something will come of it.

I know the feeling of the cogs our of mesh, or needing a bit of oil, but I think my WIP has finally found its bed. There are two materials making up the mountain material, one tweaked in the DTE. A curvature filter is also added, and it was also tweaked a bit. A daytime Bryce sky created the shadows on the right side mountains, with a Golden_Reg SC HDRI added. Foreground left is a terrain with a fiddled material so it had a darker looking texture. It took a bit of hunting to find material I felt had a good water look, and went with the mountain material, but it was found. Also thought it was too barren so I added just a bit of plant material. Added a bit of fog and haze and after it rendered, decided to stick a fork in this one. Regular render, with the HDRI added, took a little over 30 minutes.

And the title, "In The Mornings, life is possible."

Edit: I forgot I was going to use planetary resolution for the final render. So I rendered this image again at that resolution. This time render was just over one hour.

Ravine_18.png
    1326 x 663 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited June 2014

@Trish - that's going to be a nice scene, I see the potential.

@GussNemo - good progress.

Here's what I finally came up with.

Title: Omega Loop
    Commercial products used:
    - Bryce 7.1 Pro - High Resolution Terrains - Set 1
    - Hot Air Balloon
    - Aiko 3 Base - 3D Anime Girl, though only a part of the leg is visible
    - Mississippi Steam Boat (found on the Internet in 2005)

There are several streams: the River, i.e. the water on which the boats ride, the air stream on which the balloons move, the hot air streams that keep the balloons aloft, and the video stream from Aiko's smart phone (not visible). ;-)

OmegaLoop.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 341K
    Post edited by Horo on