Some basic questions that I'm stuck on

galactica1981galactica1981 Posts: 1,251
edited December 1969 in New Users

I downloaded some free stuff on one of the other websites. Unfortunately, I don't know how to set them up to appear on Daz3D. If someone can tell me how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it.

I also have trouble deleting items. Recently, I selected an item, but had to delete all the clothes off the person one by one before I could delete the entire figure from the screen. What exact part of the body do you have to select in order to delete the entire thing? It isn't clear.

I would deeply appreciate any help. Thanks!

John

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What items are you trying to install, and from where? Are these Poser items, and are they in ZIP format, if so, you would need to drop the runtime folder contained inside the ZIP file into the My Library folder and merge the two folders (assuming that you are using a PC)? My Library already has a Runtime folder for this purpose, and the items will appear in the Content Library tab under Poser Formats.

To delete a figure, either select it in the Scene tab and hit the Delete key, or double click on the figure in the viewport to select the root node (hip), and then delete it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

If you want to delete both a figure and its clothes and hair I'm afraid you need to select all of the items - except if the hair is a parented prop. It doesn't matter which part you select, though, as long as it's a bone of the figure. The simplest route is to use the Scene pane and to ctrl-click (cmd-click on Mac) to select multiple items.

• galactica1981galactica1981 Posts: 1,251
    edited December 1969

Yes, these are poser items and they are in ZIP format. However, I am not sure what you mean by "merging" the two. Do you mean that I simply move the file into the Runtime folder? And should I extract the files first?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You have to extract the 'Runtime' folder from the ZIP file first, then drop it into the My Library folder where it will merge with the Runtime folder which is already there, assuming that you are using a PC. If you are on a Mac, then DO NOT try to merge the folders.

Windows will give you a warning that you are going to merge the folders, but that is OK. If there is no Runtime folder in My Library, then just drop the runtime folder into th My Library folder.

edited December 1969

Well, I sort of got it to work, but something isn't right.

When I drop the file into the My Library folder, Windows doesn't ask for permission and Daz3D doesn't pick it up. What I did was drop the file into the other default location that has come up in the past: Program Files/Daz/Studio/Content/Runtime. With this, Daz3D still doesn't automatically load the file as it does with the art that I get directly from their website. What I have to do is go to "Import" and import each individual file. Unfortunately, the item was missing some of the colors, so it didn't work 100%.

Is there another easier way to do this? I really need to figure this out. If anyone can help, I will be eternally grateful!

John

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Daz 4 now uses the My Library folder for content. It sounds like you have a DS3 Content folder also. You can add your old content folder/s to DS4 so the content can be used in DS4.

Now, when it comes to droping folders into Content (DS3) or into My Library (DS4) you only drop the Runtime folder not the full Zip folder. That is for Poser content. You can Get DS content at free sights also and that takes more work and moving more folders.

If you point me to the Item I can walk you through a install.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I tried dropping only the Runtime folder into the Runtime folder in My Library. I got a request asking if I wanted to merge the two, and I said yes. But I still couldn't load the item on Daz. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you mean in the first sentence of your post.

Here is the item I am trying to install:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/36925/gallery/11/Poser/Have-Food!-Smartprop-for-M4

If you can help me with this, that would be great. Thank you so much!

edited July 2012

Are use Using DS3 or DS4? The content folder you listed is the default DS3 content folder. It will not be read by DS4 untill you tell DS4 to read it.

P.S. You understand you only get the Tray and what is on it? The set they are in is NOT part of the download.

edited December 1969

I have Daz4. I just downloaded it a week ago. How exactly do I tell DS4 to read it? Through the "Import" option? Is there a way to get Daz to do it automatically?

edited July 2012

I just Re-read all your post from top to bottom. I might have found a big error.
    Please list these for me.
    What Version of DS are you using? DS3 DS4Pro or DS4.5 RC2 or RC3?
    Have you Installed all your Content to that folder?
    What is your OS? XP (which build) or Win7?
    What is you OS in bit format? 32bit or 64bit?

edited December 1969

I believe it is DAZStudio4.0.3.47. When I first installed it, the program created a folder in My Documents: DAZ3D/Studio/My Library. Yet when I buy an item from the website and install it, the item is automatically installed in Program Files/Daz/Studio/Content. Those files get downloaded to the software. Now, whenever I save a file as a daz file, it is stored in My Library (My Documents: DAZ3D/Studio/My Library).

I have Windows Vista. I'm not sure about my OS, but I think it is 32bit. My computer is 5 years old.

edited July 2012

Okay we can fix this not hard at all. First let me explain what has happened and why. Before DS4 was made all content went into the folder you listed. That path is still hard coded into the Installers. From now own when you get Content just remember this. DS4 wants all the content in the NEW folder it made. The full path is this. C:\Users\"User Name"\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library. User Name will be the one you use on your PC. When you Install content be sure you set the installer to use that path. You will also want to put all your FREE items into that folder so at they will work.

Okay, now lets get all your content out of that other folder and into the one DS4Pro is using. Browse to that folder and OPEN it. You want to see all the sub folders listed. Do a Select All and COPY for now, we do not want to move so we can go back if we need to. Once you do the COPY browse to the My Library Folder and OPEN it so you see all it's sub folders and do a PASTE. Let anything that wants do a Merge do a Merge and anything that wants to do a Replace do a Keep Both (that is just to be safe). Now Boot DS4Pro.

All the older files do not Come with Metadata Files so they will not show up in the Smart Content Tab. Do Window, Tabs and select Content Library. When it opens Dock it with your Smart Content Tab, (Drag and drop using the Top bar). Listed in the Content Library Tab will be this. Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats. All your older content should now Show in your Poser Content selection. Check all of it, every folder and let me know if all your stuff now shows up. Also check the Daz Studio Formats section.

I'm here for the next several hours, I will help you untill this is working for you.

edited July 2012

So I am copying everything out of the Program Files/Daz/Studio and then putting it into the folder in My Documents, correct? I copied the Content file (since every file above it is empty), but I'm not sure which folder to paste it into. Daz3D? Studio? My Library? Runtime?

Post edited by galactica1981 on
    edited December 1969

I pasted the Content folder into My Library, but nothing happened (There was no merging or anything like that). The Daz4 software still doesn't read the files, though. I'm leery to try anything else at this point until I hear back from you. Right now, I have to leave, but I can do more later tonight. Thanks for all your help.

edited December 1969

Okay Pasting the Content folder was not my instructions. I said OPEN that folder so you could see all the folders inside it. Then Copy those and all of those. Like this ...

Content-4.jpg
    790 x 790 - 257K
    edited December 1969

You Now Paste all those folders into the My Library Folder that is in Documents. Then you might get Merge and all that.

edited December 1969

It worked! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Now I guess I simply need to store all future items in My Library.

edited December 1969

Yep, if you make sure it all goes in My Library you will find it. Happy rendering.

edited December 1969

I seem to have another problem with one folder. There were two items in it. Both loaded in Daz3D. But one loaded with color and the other no color. Any idea why this might happen?

edited December 1969

I hope I can trouble you just one more time. Even though I am categorizing the items in the Content Library, they are not showing up on the menu on the left side of the screen. I assume this is because the software is still taking the files from the other directory (Program Files/Daz/Studio/Content) rather than My Library. Is there a way to change the default folder?

edited December 1969

Only new content will show in SMART CONTENT. The newer items have Metadata. Only items that have metadata will show in Smart Content the metadata is what makes it smart. Old and free content does not have metadata so it will only show up in the Content Library. I just use both folders, one for all my smart stuff and the other for all my older and free stuff.