sheathing a figure in flames or light

gabugabu Posts: 303
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am trying to create a character where it is surrounded by flames or shimmering light.

I would rather not have to do it via post processing if possible.

Here is an image of what I have managed to achieve so far.

I would be interested to know what other ways there might be of getting the effect.

Thanks

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I don't know how slow this would be, but you could clone your character, use the 'scale' to make him a little larger, fit your current one inside of the larger one, and then apply your transparent flame/whatever texture to the outer guy. I'm pretty positive this would be a CPU burner, though.

For reference, the last time I tried that, it looked pretty good in the preview window, but as soon as I tried to render it, Daz Studio crashed violently. Every. Single. Time. Now it might have been that my PNG-creation process did not create PNGs that met with its approval during render, so if you're using PNGs you already know render okay, it might work better.

-- Morgan

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox's idea will work. Just make sure the second copy of the figure does not cast any shadow. That way it will not bog down the rendering.

The idea is a good one for applying to any shape really. You just need a decent transmap to make it look close to what your looking for.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited July 2012

Mattymanx said:
    Cypherfox's idea will work. Just make sure the second copy of the figure does not cast any shadow. That way it will not bog down the rendering.

The idea is a good one for applying to any shape really. You just need a decent transmap to make it look close to what your looking for.

If you're using DS4.5. just create a geometry shell, scale the shell, lower the opacity, and use the pw_effect shaders on the shell.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions.

This sounds like the same technique used for Jepe's body jewels? Which I had forgotten about.

I am using Studio 4.0, is there a 'clone' entry on the menus, am I missing it?

It just occured to me I might be able to do it via a body suit.

I got the look in the posted image using pweffect shaders on some clothes that I had added.

edited December 1969

I am holding off moving to 4.5 for the time being. I was having too much trouble with it, plus plugins not working.

• flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I used the supersuit to do this:

example_2.jpg
    433 x 465 - 227K
    edited December 1969

Nice image - I take it that it is part of something larger.

But that is very much the effect that I am thinking of.

Thanks for posting it.

• flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969