London 2012

StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
edited July 2012 in The Commons

With just over 12 hours till the opening ceremony I'm getting excited..

check list for 5am wakeup - toaster, vegemite, coffee, foxsports 8 channels memorised, iPad charged.

Post edited by Stezza on

Comments

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited July 2012

The proportions of the figure above seem wrong somehow...

Think it's the arms...

Post edited by K T Ong on
  • GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited July 2012

Go Aussies! Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oye! Oye! Oye!

Also looking forward to the opening ceremony, but 5am start, oh man, a lot of coffee needed. Great image Stezza BTW.

@ K T Ong - Athletes body proportions are subject to what they are training for....and what type of "scientific training" they are doing.:)

Image removed by mod

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • marchflymarchfly Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

:-)Yes I'm another Aussie getting ready for our 5am start, Who needs arms, we are smart down under. Go the Aussies.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited December 1969

Another render.. In Carrara 8.5beta this time.... :coolsmile:

about 9 hours to go from now...

Olympic_Runner_with_torch.jpg
    800 x 600 - 329K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I love all this enthusiasm. Looking good render wise. I will have to root for a different team but I'm all happy for the games to start. I love seeing the things us humans can do when we push to the total limits of what can be done. It's all just so amazing.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited July 2012

You can look forward to it, but still see the problems beneath the surface (in this case literally).

This is still a WIP as the 'final' render with IBL came out far too bright (the redo is at 51% and 4 hrs 30mins in....), but there have been far too many Olympic spokesthings claiming that this will be "the most accessible Olympics ever," at the same time that long term access improvement programmes for the Tube have been cancelled (only 66 stations out of 270 are accessible, almost all of them in the outskirts, and almost 50 of those still have a step up to the train).

"The Most Accessible Olympics Ever" (bunny-quotes intended!)

The_Most_Accessible_Olympics_Ever_-_Compact.jpg
    566 x 800 - 154K
    Post edited by DWG on
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

GigaBeat said:
    @ K T Ong - Athletes body proportions are subject to what they are training for....and what type of "scientific training" they are doing.:)

If this 'scientific training' is going to make you end up looking like the Frankenstein monster, I wouldn't even want to think of participating in any Olympic event. :)

• GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited July 2012

GigaBeat said:
    Go Aussies! Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oye! Oye! Oye!

Also looking forward to the opening ceremony, but 5am start, oh man, a lot of coffee needed. Great image Stezza BTW.

Image removed by mod

WoooHooo! I had an image removed by mod! :coolsmirk:
    Americans are just soooo oversensitive. Or maybe they support "scientific" whaling. :smirk:
    I'm guessing they're going to throw the TOS at me now. :-S

Post edited by Gigabeat on
  • Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Think someone should have told them it was'nt eurovision it is the olympics. I think the best part was James Bond and the Queen. the begining was more ripping apart the country to make way for industry... Give me the countryside over industry any day.

edited December 1969

Sal UK said:
    Think someone should have told them it was'nt eurovision it is the olympics. I think the best part was James Bond and the Queen. the begining was more ripping apart the country to make way for industry... Give me the countryside over industry any day.

The opening ceremony was all kinds of awesome, though a lot of the rest of the world is going to miss the political subtext. I was bouncing up and down in sheer delight at the stuff Boyle was getting away with, Bond, Bean, the NHS under threat from monsters, Tim Berners-Lee, Shami Chakrabarti as a flag bearer, and a soundtrack I'd buy the album for in an instant. Only disappointment for me was the overall lack of disability participation, surely they could have found a role for Tanni G-T at least!

People were tweeting #knighthoodforDannyBoyle well before the end.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I thought it was very British, not sure if anyone non-british would have got all the reference but then again, we paid a small fortune for the wretched thing. So who cares what they think!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have to admit I thought the opening ceremony was very impressive, very professional and yes, it was very British, but why not, the Olympics are being held in Britain this year after all.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I have to admit I thought the opening ceremony was very impressive, very professional and yes, it was very British, but why not, the Olympics are being held in Britain this year after all.
    I was moved at time with the ceremony, very well thought through and well executed IMHO. I don't go for these type of fan fare but I have to admit they out did themselves.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

I missed the ceremony as well. I also missed the first round of the archery event. I'll have to try and catch it today if it's on TV

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    chohole said:
    I was moved at time with the ceremony, very well thought through and well executed IMHO. I don't go for these type of fan fare but I have to admit they out did themselves.

I did rather like the idea of James Bond going to fetch the Queen in a helicopter, and then her parachuting down into the arena. The Corgis wathching her fly off from the steps of Buck House was a great shot.

There were a few quirky little british jokes that might be missed by non Brits.
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    not sure if anyone non-british would have got all the reference

I watched the entire event here in Italy, and they accompanied it with a very informative commentary for Italian viewers. Even though I'm Scottish, there were some things I didn't catch, but which were explained in the commentary - like the boatload of Jamaican immigrants refused entry into the UK. I also got the impression that the commentators were reading this stuff from briefing notes they had been given, because they knew the names of the various scenes, names of actors, poem and book references, plus all sorts of other details. So depending on each country's approach to the transmission, viewers may/may not have had help understanding it all.

All in all, I thought it was a really innovative way to treat the opening ceremony. Instead of huge spectacular scenes of formation-marching, we got a fascinating look at UK history and politics, set to some of the best music ever made, and cheeky and irreverent send-ups of ourselves and our Queen. That's what the Brits are good at, and that's why we're utterly unique.

mac

edited July 2012

maclean said:
    there were some things I didn't catch, but which were explained in the commentary - like the boatload of Jamaican immigrants refused entry into the UK

Not sure the commentary was that accurate in that case! The 'ship' carried around the arena was the Empire Windrush, famously the first boatload of West Indian immigrants to arrive post-War and definitely not refused entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Windrush

OTOH they probably did a better job than the clueless one NBC are being reported to have done. They claimed they were delaying it rather than showing it live so they could add context, and then managed to have both presenters wondering who Sir Tim Berners-Lee was and one hilariously suggesting maybe they should google him, to make matters worse they then cut out the 7/7 tribute (inextricably linked with the Olympics for Brits, I was actually in the Tube when it was announced we'd won the selection on 6/7, and if I'd travelled a day later...) - wonder how NBC would have reacted if anyone else chopped out a 9/11 tribute?

Post edited by DWG on
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I missed the ceremony as well. I also missed the first round of the archery event. I'll have to try and catch it today if it's on TV
    I'm not sure if you can watch this link outside of England, but if you can, this is the official BBC produced coverage of the entire event.

I missed it too, forgot all about it so I'm catching up an hour at a time at this link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01l4ldk/hd/Olympic_Ceremonies_London_2012_Opening_Ceremony/

Only seen an hour of it so far, and it's four hours long.
    Quite cool (loved the idea of the James Bond arrival).

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Hmm. Won't play in USA.

The Queen really jumped out of a helicopter? Too cool.

(I don't have, and don't want a TV.)

edited December 1969

Torby said:
    Hmm. Won't play in USA.

It was very cleverly done, she appeared to board the helicopter, and then appeared to jump out of it. Appeared to open the Games a couple of minutes after the parachutist landed.
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Torby said:
    Hmm. Won't play in USA.

Bloody hell, I sincerely hope not otherwise the notorious British Paparazzi would have upskirt shots of the Queens knickers plastered across every newspaper in the country by now!

Here, try this link first:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5abat5NEU

And if that one doesn't work, try this:
    http://vimeo.com/46593612

Personally, I think Bond just wanted to show off his ultra-cool suit, but at least he got her there safely :-P

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Torby said:
    Hmm. Won't play in USA.

I read somewhere that a stunt devil/actor dressed as Queen Elizabeth II jumped out of the helicopter. I gotta run. Bye

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Oh, yes. Very likely. Much fun anyhow.

• lisa.graylisa.gray Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Great image but I have NEVER seen a runner with boobs like that! :-p As a Brit I felt so proud when I watched the opening ceremony. It really hit the British sense of humour on the head and was touching and funny in equal measures.

Does anyone think Bolt has any serious contenders this year? With a name like Bolt he was born to be a sprinter right? I found a funny little app which tells you what your name would be if you were a sprinter. Aparently mine would be Lela Boost! Get it....Boost?

http://www.facebook.com/Glasgow2014/app_261427110632981