Changing Surface settings for Poser Content

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I recently came across a good website that explained how to change DAZ3d Surface tab settings to make Poser specific content render better... but I can't find it!
Does anyone know of a site that helps explain this?

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2012

I've noticed the Poser mat translate a little darker and shiner than I like, but I don't know of a hard/fast rule for conversion.

Without going into it do deeply you can apply a mat that was set up for Daz Studio and make a note of the surface parameters, then when you apply a mat that was intended to Poser you can adjust those surfaces so the numbers are closer to what the Studio mat were set to.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I wrote up a QnD guidebook on what I look at (and why) when it comes to adjusting Poser materials for use in DS. It may (or may not ^_^ ) be of some help : http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=156773

• edited December 1969

Perfect Adam! Exactly what I was looking for.

• em53em53 Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

I know I am bringing back a long dead thread, but since the old forum is no longer available, does anyone have this offline they can repost? If not, then detailed instructions for converting Poser materials to DAZ Studio would be great. I know there are no hard and rules for doing this, but whatever works for you would be a great help.

Thank you.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

My simple recipe for fixing Poser MATs in DS is this:

Select all comparable surfaces in the surfaces tab
    Glossiness to 70-80% (Fingernails: 80-90%)
    Specular Strength to 70%
    Specular Color to 64:64:64 (Fingernails: 128:128:128)

Ambient strength to no more than 5-10%
    Bump Strength to 50%

This should get you in the ballpark to start fiddling. It always takes fiddling.

There is also an old script for this, but I have no idea if it works in the latest DS. It's the "Fix Glossiness and Bump" available here:

http://tofusan.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/download.html

• em53em53 Posts: 32
    edited May 2014

Thank you. Thats useful information and will help. But what about for props and other non-character items? I think those would actually be simpler than skin tones but do you have any suggestions for that? While most stuff looks OK, I would like to be sure I am getting the best that I can get from a given product.

Thank you

Adding on here: I tried that script and it does work very nicely. The results are noticeably different and does give a much better appearance to the item. That is probably all that I need and I can go on from there. Thank you again.

Post edited by em53 on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

I have the opposite problem. I'm used to working in DS and would like to convert materials to work in Poser. Any documentation or advice?

edited December 1969

em53 said:
    Thank you. Thats useful information and will help. But what about for props and other non-character items? I think those would actually be simpler than skin tones but do you have any suggestions for that? While most stuff looks OK, I would like to be sure I am getting the best that I can get from a given product.

Thank you

Adding on here: I tried that script and it does work very nicely. The results are noticeably different and does give a much better appearance to the item. That is probably all that I need and I can go on from there. Thank you again.

Amazing! It still works. In general, I find that Poser default mats have too much glossiness and not enough bump, hence the useful script. I didn't write it, but I found it a good starting point. You just have to keep tweaking things.
    edited December 1969

wwes said:
    I have the opposite problem. I'm used to working in DS and would like to convert materials to work in Poser. Any documentation or advice?

LOL! There is a utility called Create Poser MAT:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/36622/browse/9/Plug-in/Create-Poser-Mats

Somebody reported it works in DS 4.6! :-)

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

wwes said:

LOL! There is a utility called Create Poser MAT:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/36622/browse/9/Plug-in/Create-Poser-Mats

Somebody reported it works in DS 4.6! :-)

Awesome! Thanks! I'll give it a try.