Fitting Wildmane to M4

edited July 2012 in New Users

Hi -

I am new to Daz3D. I am having trouble fitting Wildmane hair to M4 character. The hair always seems to fit about halfway down the head. I can't find a way of moving it up to the right place and still having it attached to the head. Can someone please direct me to where I can find out how to do this:?

Thanx

Post edited by david.meschter_ebe3e2f4c6 on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Did you "fit to" the hair to the figure?

• edited December 1969

To be honest, I am not sure.

I select the head of the M4 character. I then select the wildmane. It appears in the middle of the head - no autofit menu appears. If I select the wildmane and choose 'Fit To" the choices are Michael 4 and none. Most times when I load wildmane it fits to the middle of the head. Just now, it floated above the character. I selected wildmane and saw that it was fitted to none. I changed that to Michael 4 and, again it fits to the middle of the head. once fitted, I cannot adjust its position. If I fit it to none and reposition it, when I go to fit it to Michael 4 it goes back to the middlle of the head. I am sure I am missing something very easy and basic, but it alludes me at the moment.

edited December 1969

Right click on the hair and select fit to and it will ask you what you want it fit to. Select the figure and it will be positioned properly.

• edited December 1969

Yes, this is what I think I am doing.

I select the hair. I right click the hair (I am in win7) I get a right click menu, I select "Fit to..." I am presented with a small window that says Fit To
    In this window it says Fit "wildmane hair" onto: beneath is a long rectangle with the currently selected "Fit to" object (Maicheal 4 is already there).
    I click on this long rectangle and I am presented with the Fit To options, which in this case are 'Michael 4' and 'none'.
    I select Michael 4. The hair remains in the middle of the head.

D'Oh!

Is there a way of adjusting where the hair attaches? It is Fit To because it moves with all poses of the character, it is just in the wrong place.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Does this hair have a parameter setting for fitting to M4? (look in the Parameters tab)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Try this, Load M4 Select M4 all of the figure not just the head. Now load the Wildmane hair. If it does not load properly select the Wildmane in your Scene tab and open your Paramaters tab Look for the Fits (it has 12) and set the M4 fit to full. Goto the bottom of Parameters tab and find "Fit To" open it Select the M4 if it is not selected already.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

Sounds like you're loading the Genesis version of the hair in People>Genesis>Hair>WildMane that comes with DS4.

It won't work on M4. If you do a "Fit To" to none, it will land on his head, but I was unable to parent it to his head to make it stick to his head when posed. Neftis did make a M4 version of WildMane http://www.daz3d.com/shop/wildmane-hairstyle/

• edited December 1969

Thanx every one for your help. I must be doing something wrong. I find Wildmane by doing a search in the content lib ( the file system of Daz3D totally baffles me). I find it under Genesis like Lindsey states above. However, I cannot find the 12 "fits' refered to by Jaderail. When I select the wildmane (which is misplaced only M4) and I go to Parameters, the only thing I find that referes to 'Fit' is Fit to... Which I find beneath Point at in the Misc catagory.
    In THIS Fit to... the only choices are 'Michael 4' and 'None'.
    I have never seen 12 fits anywhere.

However, here is how I worked around it:
    I load wildmane on to M4. - It lands in the midle of his face (note, M4 is taller than the standard Genesis by this same amount.)
    I then click on wildmane to select it to show its parameters,
    I then also Right Click on wildmane to see the context menu. Here I select 'Fit to...' and it shows that it IS fit to M4, (albeit in the middle of his face).
    I then select NONE to unfit it.
    Now I can reposition it to the top of M4's head.
    I then Right Click again to see the contextual menu again, this time selecting 'Change Parent...' It shows that it's parent is NONE, so I select HEAD as the parent.
    Now the hair stays on his head just fine, regardless of pose or position.
    Note: "HEAD" appears twice in the list of thing that could be parents. If I choose the HEAD that is near the bottom of the list (beneath ik-Foot and ik-Hand,(Hip,Abdomen, Abdomen2, Chest, Neck, Head, and Collars are listed here at the bottom of the list as well as near the top(?)) it WILL NOT STICK. But if I scroll up to near the top of the list, near where the tree starts, THIS HEAD WILL STICK. After I do this, the list no longer has Hip,Abdomen, Abdomen2, Chest, Neck, Head, and Collars listed at the bottom... Am I making any sense?

Perhaps this IS the way one does this, but the 'Fit to...' Still shows NONE...
    Hopefully if this is not the correct way of doing this it will not come back to bite me later. I stll feel ike I am missing something about 'Fit to..' and the eleven missing fits.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I'm still learning this stuff myself, but what you did is exactly what I would try. I don't believe there's a better way, because the hair was made for Genesis, not for M4. As Lindsey mentioned, there's another version of WildMane Hair in the store that was designed specifically for M4: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/wildmane-hairstyle/

edited December 1969

I'm sorry, I thought you were using the M4 Wildmane. Not the Genesis version. Only the M4 item has the 12 Fit morphs.

edited December 1969

I thought it was the M4 version also.

• edited December 1969

@Jaderail - So did I!

I didn't realize that there was one especially for M4 since M4 and Genesis are somehow related (although I am still foggy as to what this relationship is), I thought that they would be the same.

Wildmane for Genesis does not exist in the store, so I never thought that the Wildmane I got with the program was different from the one I saw in the store.

Anyway, Thank you all for your help.

edited December 1969

@Jaderail - So did I!

I didn't realize that there was one especially for M4 since M4 and Genesis are somehow related (although I am still foggy as to what this relationship is), I thought that they would be the same.

Wildmane for Genesis does not exist in the store, so I never thought that the Wildmane I got with the program was different from the one I saw in the store.

Anyway, Thank you all for your help.

ROFL.. That is so easy to get mixed up.. they dont sell the Genesis Wildmane because it comes free with every version of DS4. M4 is only related to Genesis by the company that designed them. M4 came out before Genesis and is a Stand alone figure. The NEW Genesis is a Shape shifter and can look like many different figures if you have that figures shape for it. They do have a M4 shape for Genesis but it is still Genesis with new clothes. Different bones and stuff. M4 is older and Genesis is new and can be a M4 look alike if it wants to be.
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited July 2012

What the OP has run into is the standard issue of fitting hair to a character which it isn't designed for. It's simple enough to work around, and the OP has essentially hit on the fix, but parenting is actually even simpler to do in general. Load the hair, don't fit it to the target character, use the transforms to move it into an appropriate position on the character's head, then just drag and drop it onto the 'head' line of the character's entry in the scene tab. This will work for any hair on any character, and can also be used to parent guns, handbags and other items to hands, in fact anything to any body part.

There are 4 different types of hair items you will come across in Studio. .dsf files intended for Genesis and only usable in Studio, the older Poser formats .CR2 and .HR2 which are really just the same thing under different names, and .PP2 or 'prop hair' which is the oldest format and very basic. All can be used on any figure.

There are four different ways of fitting hair to a character, and in all cases you should start with the parent figure selected, n.b. the entire figure, not just the head. Parenting we've covered above, and this is the mechanism used by .PP2s, which should hopefully load in place on their intended figure. 'Fit to' is used for the other 3 types which apply to .dsf, .CR2 and .HR2. In the simplest form you select 'fit to' and your target character and the hair loads in place. Then there are fit morphs, the fits referred to earlier. These are listed on the parameter tab when the hair is selected, and once you have done the 'fit to' you find the appropriate morph for the character, and slide it to 100% or 1.0, which moves the hair into place. This method has the advantage of allowing 'mix and match' if your character is an amalgam of several options, as was common with Gen 4 figures. The third method again needs you to 'fit to', but then uses 'fit poses' which are usually found in the pose folder along side the texture mats for the hair, having fitted the hair you then select it, find the relevant fit pose and apply it as you would any pose.

Which method is used on a particular hair model depends on the preferences of its designer and how old it is, but you'll quickly adapt to the different methods and while they do seem complex in comparison to a simple 'fit to', they do allow hair to be used with characters it was never designed for.

Post edited by DWG on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

David: I was "parenting to" the wrong head! Thanks for pointing that out!

• edited December 1969

Lindsey said:

David: I was "parenting to" the wrong head! Thanks for pointing that out!

Yeah, I don't know why there were two heads in the list, but when I saw the one up near the top of the tree, I thoght it might work better - and Voila! it works!