Setting up shots..the Pixar way

RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
edited April 2014 in The Commons

I just came across this article and thought people may find it useful in setting up their shots too.

http://www.floobynooby.blogspot.ca/2013/12/the-cinematography-of-incredibles-part-1.html

Alot of good info here.
They talk mostly about setting up for animation....but i see alot of info that could be good for still renders, and definitely for sequential art like comics.

Rawn

Post edited by RawArt on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

nice post RawArt thanks.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing this.
    Love the lessons and the examples.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

good ole rule of thirds :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Excellent article Rawn, thanks for posting the link.

I've been using Rule of Thirds for quite a while now, but have just recently been experimenting with the Horizon Line in Bryce, because it defaults to the half-way point, and I never really liked it.

Bookmarked for further review. :coolsmile:

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio Change Log

- Added a [rule of] thirds guide to the option menu of the 3D viewport; default off
    DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.6.3.12

-Rob

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I have Dreamlight's DS 2 and DS 3 versions. I've been using them for a long time, and always found them very helpful.

David Brinnen actually worked out a version for Bryce 7 too, though I haven't played with that one as yet.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...thank you for this. A very good resoruce indeed.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    DAZ Studio Change Log

- Added a [rule of] thirds guide to the option menu of the 3D viewport; default off

-RobI caught that very fast... Said the creator of the Golden Rules Camera Prop v1 for DS4.5+

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969
    edited April 2014

the 180 Rule. never cross the axis.

never cross the streams either.

would be interesting to see before and after render, before reading this, and then restage the render after reading this
    or a before and after page of graphic novel.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    rbtwhiz said:
    DAZ Studio Change Log

-Rob

I caught that very fast... Said the creator of the Golden Rules Camera Prop v1 for DS4.5+

The "Golden Rules Camera Prop" is like an involuntary reflex.
    I doubt I will ever stop using it.
    I'll just load it on top of the viewport option :D

Rule of Sixths!

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    Jaderail said:
    rbtwhiz said:
    DAZ Studio Change Log

-Rob

I caught that very fast... Said the creator of the Golden Rules Camera Prop v1 for DS4.5+

The "Golden Rules Camera Prop" is like an involuntary reflex.
    I doubt I will ever stop using it.
    I'll just load it on top of the viewport option :D

Rule of Sixths!

For me too. I load a camera and then the Golden Rules Camera Prop.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Rawn. I've bookmarked it for future reference. I can't remember all of that, so I'll keep returning to it.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads-up on this--it's been a great read! I need to read through it again--I was looking for how the "rule of thirds" is affected by the 16:9 format (or effected?)...I went through it pretty fast.

edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Thanks for the heads-up on this--it's been a great read! I need to read through it again--I was looking for how the "rule of thirds" is affected by the 16:9 format (or effected?)...I went through it pretty fast.
    Looks good to me...
    Capture-001.png
    953 x 542 - 95K
    edited December 1969

The [Rule of] Thirds Guide in DAZ Studio 4.6.3.29+ is calculated from the same values as the Aspect Frame. When you change the Dimensions: Aspect in the Render Settings pane, the guide in the viewport is re-calculated and re-drawn to reflect that aspect. This means that any aspect you choose/define will result in the Thirds Guide being drawn correctly. The same [where applicable] will be true of any other composition guides that get added.

-Rob

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    The [Rule of] Thirds Guide in DAZ Studio 4.6.3.29+ is calculated from the same values as the Aspect Frame. When you change the Dimensions: Aspect in the Render Settings pane, the guide in the viewport is re-calculated and re-drawn to reflect that aspect. This means that any aspect you choose/define will result in the Thirds Guide being drawn correctly. The same [where applicable] will be true of any other composition guides that get added.

-Rob

Cool! Sounds great.

Jaderail said:
    Looks good to me...

Thanks--I figured it would just scale to the aspect but wasn't sure if the 16:9 ratio had any "special rules" like never use the bottom third or some kind of exception like that. I'm going to try using this in Carrara tonight--I think it may work...it's worth a try!

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

-Rob

Colour me clueless and all but where do you turn it on?

As the age old add goes, This is what it can do.

But people want to know HOW you can do it.

You made it sound like it's part of DAZ Studio, but I'm not finding it, and I just updated DAZ Studio.

Image, manual, text to drop down menu, please show me something or do I need to go and download Jaderail's plugin?

-Paul

edited April 2014

rbtwhiz said:

-Rob

You guys are so going to make me useless I see. Yet another Project I got beat to the punch with. Can you guys do a Double Overlay yet? Or am I still ahead on that part, so far? He says looking at Golden Rules V2 Beta.

Viewport Menu same place as Background Color and Aspect on or off....
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

You made it sound like it's part of DAZ Studio, but I'm not finding it, and I just updated DAZ Studio.

Image, manual, text to drop down menu, please show me something or do I need to go and download Jaderail's plugin?

-Paul

My first post in this thread, which just quotes the change log, indicates that it is located in the option menu for the 3D viewport.

-Rob

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

Great article, thanks for posting it Rawn

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    PDSmith said:

-Paul

My first post in this thread, which just quotes the change log, indicates that it is located in the option menu for the 3D viewport.

-Rob

Is my copy of D|S glitched? Because I'm not seeing it.
    Not trying to be difficult, I just want to use a feature I can't seem to find.

-Paul

option_menu.jpg
    935 x 188 - 68K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    rbtwhiz said:
    PDSmith said:

-Paul

-Rob

-Paul

Do you have the Public Beta installed? It isn't in the current General Release.

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

-Paul

It is only built into the New Beta and it May need a advanced Style in use to show in the menu. I use City Limits...
    Capture-001.png
    924 x 984 - 134K
    edited December 1969

never thought about the body language of legs before reading this

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

Awesome article, thanks for posting.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

Glad you all are enjoying the article

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited April 2014

I just spent the last 3+ hours reading all three parts.

While reading this, I realized that I already have some skills here, though I never formulated them or codified them in my mind. But yeah, I somewhat naturally "see" when elements are missing or when the rules were broken.

Such as the rule of thirds, keeping uniform direction of movement, and keeping subjects on screen left or screen right during a scene or until a new element is introduced.

The 3-subject scenes can be very powerful. Or 4-subject scenes made to look like 3; for example, 1 badguy, 1 goodguy, and 2 cops, with the cops being placed fore and aft in 3D space which makes them appear very close together in the left-right plane (as the camera sees the scene).

One area where I learned a lot was the inclusion of elements along the diagonal or perspective lines (lights, bookshelves, building edges, etc) to "point to" the main subject's eyes. Or how arms, legs, or other body parts can be made to draw or emphasize those lines.

I also realized how important wide shots are for setting up a scene, and that not all scenes can have "whole bodies" in them. We have to give the audience enough information, allow it to follow along, and then not do anything to confuse them! The author made a couple of comments about how confusing Michael Bay movies can be because of the blocking and camera angles and I realized why I could never figure out which Transformers were shooting at each other, and who was even winning the fight!

I was planning to do other things today and wasn't even planning to do any 3D art or education today, but this was an unexpected surprise and ended up being an excellent use of my time.

And it was all free! Thank you so much for posting this... :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
    edited December 1969

i tawt i taw something in there about S composition. :~

edited December 1969

haven't found the 's' yet. :roll: restarting at the beginning :)

what's the most difficult composition to learn?