DAZ Studio Pro BETA - version 4.6.3.29!

Comments

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Erm ...

Public build installed, new CMS installed, Public DS and DIM access the new CMS. Everything working.

But -

When I start the Public DS now - every time, this is, not just the first time - the DS splash window appears promptly, but then just sits there for about 4 minutes 40 seconds with the little message 'Connecting to CMS' shown in the splash window. Then it finally gets on with it, various other messages appear instead of the connecting to CMS one, and in about 20 seconds the DS main window opens. This is despite the fact that the new CMS's multiple processes appear in the task window within seconds of starting DS.

Similarly, if I start DIM (DS not running), although the DIM and new CMS processes appear in the Task Window immediately, there is no other indication at all that DIM is actually starting for somewhat over four minutes, at which point the DIM main window finally appears.

Something's not right. DS and DIM shouldn't be hanging around for between four and five minutes just trying to connect to the new CMS during load. And they DO connect to the new CMS eventually, so it's not just that they are hanging trying to connect to a broken CMS.

That sounds like either a virus checker or firewall performing a deepscan on launch. (For either DS or PostgreSQL or both.) You should be able to "Whitelist" those, after it performs the scan the first time of course, to change that behavior, or it will keep doing that until your Virus Checker and/or firewall gets enough reports to whitelist it on an update.

Does not appear to be the problem.

My Firewall is ZoneAlarm Free. First use of DS Public and DIM and new PostgreSL CMS ZA popped up asking permissions, which I gave, with it set to keep the permissions. Just checked the application control in ZA and the permissions are still set to allow for those programs.

My antivirus is avast! free antivirus. I added both the DS Public and PostgreSQL CMS to the exclusions, but it made no difference. As I'm rather new to avast! (used AVG for many years until recently) I then also turned off both the File System Shield and Web Shield and tried again. Still no difference.

In each case, on starting DS Public, after the splash screen appears it sits there for 4 minutes 40 seconds showing thee 'connecting to cms' message before then going on and showing other messages and starting DS.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, ZoneAlarm and PostgreSQL do not play well with each other... This is not specific to DAZ Studio or Install Manager.

edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    Unfortunately, ZoneAlarm and PostgreSQL do not play well with each other... This is not specific to DAZ Studio or Install Manager.

Skimming a bunch of those threads, they are all people saying postgreSQL isn't working for them at all with ZA. For me PostgresSQL IS working - it's just taking DS and DIM 4 minutes 40 seconds to connect to it and move on. From then on everything is fine. I'm finding it hard to see why a problem with ZA would just cause a 4 min 40 sec wait.

However, I notice that while my ZA says it is up to date, there have in fact been two more releases since my current version. I will update to the latest and see if that changes anything.

Oh .. do I vaguely remember seeing soome time ago some problem or other with something or other on machines with both onboard intel and extra Nvidia graphics? Was that something to do with DS? My laptop does have both native intel graphics and an Nvidia GPU.

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited April 2014

DavidGB said:

Oh .. do I vaguely remember seeing soome time ago some problem or other with something or other on machines with both onboard intel and extra Nvidia graphics? Was that something to do with DS? My laptop does have both native intel graphics and an Nvidia GPU.

You do recall correctly. People stopped talking about it a while ago due to an nVidia update but you might try forcing nVidia for DS and picking one and forcing that for Install manager, to see if that helps.
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox - 23 April 2014 12:02 PM

@ruekaka - I believe that they run their own PGSQL instance, custom configured for their apps needs. If it collides with your instance you should edit what DAZ Studio expects the port to be, that way their locally running instance likely won’t have issues with yours. I’m fairly sure they won’t be able to use an arbitrary local PGSQL, especially given that they expect to be able to start and stop it with the app.

Absolutely correct. (And said better than I would have said it. smile )

It is not designed to interact with any other PostgreSQL databases.

Thanks for your answers, but I'm still not confident.

From my point of view an application that uses a real DBMS like PG should be able to work with an existing Database installation. I don't like the idea to run a second "installation" in parallel without any guarantee that they will not have any side effects.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Has the latest Beta been pulled all I get when I go to my product library is (Scene Builder for DAZ Studio Public Build [Beta] ) when I click on DAZ Studio Pro BETA nothing else !

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

Tip to all users...
    Tip one: In the Filters of course you need Public Build ticked on.

Tip Two: If you ever in the past set any of the Beta Files to hidden the new files will stay hidden. Set that back to SHOW and then you will have the new files in your list as they replace the older hidden ones but are still set to stay hidden.

Tip 3: You also need Programs Ticked on in your filters.

It took a Exit after setting mine back to Show before I got the new files in my list but they did then list properly and are now installed.

I hope this helps.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Has the latest Beta been pulled all I get when I go to my product library is (Scene Builder for DAZ Studio Public Build [Beta] ) when I click on DAZ Studio Pro BETA nothing else !

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40142/P30/#592554

Bottom most screen grab. Helped me get it resolved!

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys that's done the trick, easy once you know how !!!

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited April 2014

Thank you many up-date.

To test Win 32bit daz studio public beta (only for "lip sync" plug in) with Postgre SQLCMS,
    should I need to install "Postgre CMS 32 bit Publc build" too?

And to confirm,," Postgre CMS conversion" do not overwrite or change any dsx files (product data, user data)
    in runtime/Support ? it can read these dsx which used for valentina ? and valentina CMS can import and export
    dsx files as same as before?

And when install and use Postgre sql , I need to stop valentina CMS? (or it is recommended?)

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

To test Win 32bit daz studio public beta (only for "lip sync" plug in) with Postgre SQLCMS,
    should I need to install "Postgre CMS 32 bit Publc build" too?

I don't think so, you only need the 32-bit Postgre CMS for 32-bit computer/OS, but I'm not certain.

And to confirm,," Postgre CMS conversion" do not overwrite or change any dsx files (product data, user data)
    in runtime/Support ? it can read these dsx which used for valentina ? and valentina CMS can import and export
    dsx files as same as before?

The conversion just reads what is in the Valentina database and puts it in the Postgre database, the files in Runtime/Support aren't touched. When you re-import metadata it will import the information into whichever database is being used, so if you do it in the general release it will put the information in the Valentina DB, if you do it in the beta it will put it in the Postgre DB (unless you don't install the Postgre CMS).

And when install and use Postgre sql , I need to stop valentina CMS? (or it is recommended?)

No, they can both be running. The beta will use the Postgre CMS if it exists, and the general release will use the Valentina CMS.

edited December 1969

Thank you much Mike :)

As you said, I just install 64bit ver Postgre , then it seems work for 32bit daz studio beta too.
    (Though I do not understand why it work^^; )

Then,,, to confirm again,,

When I make new oriiginal "product meta data" for Smart content, in ds 4.5 beta( postgre cms)
    It will be recorded in Postgre CMS database,, I think.
    and should be exported the product dsx to my runtime/support.(with option)

next I use ds 4.6 (Valentina cms), and to use Smart content for the product,,
    I may need to re-import the product data to Valentina CMS?

then DAZ_BHowell noted,,

While the PostgreSQL server is installed, Install Manager will not install any data to the Valentina database.

that means, if I bought new product , then Use DIM, I may need to import the product meta-data for ds 4.6 (Valentina CMS)?
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Thank you much Mike :)

As you said, I just install 64bit ver Postgre , then it seems work for 32bit daz studio beta too.
    (Though I do not understand why it work^^; )

Then,,, to confirm again,,

When I make new oriiginal "product meta data" for Smart content, in ds 4.5 beta( postgre cms)
    It will be recorded in Postgre CMS database,, I think.
    and should be exported the product dsx to my runtime/support.(with option)

next I use ds 4.6 (Valentina cms), and to use Smart content for the product,,
    I may need to re-import the product data to Valentina CMS?

then DAZ_BHowell noted,,

While the PostgreSQL server is installed, Install Manager will not install any data to the Valentina database.

that means, if I bought new product , then Use DIM, I may need to import the product meta-data for ds 4.6 (Valentina CMS)?

Yes, correct on both, if you create metadata in the beta or install a product with DIM it will be in the Postgre database, and you would need to re-import it into the Valentina CMS.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited April 2014

For everyone who does not know yet, here are some release highlights from 3Delight 11:

•Ray-tracing performance has been improved to such a degree that we now recommend using the ray-tracing hider as the default renderer for scenes with highly complex geometry (instead of REYES). Users can expect gains up to 20x faster when using multi-bounce global illumination and glossy reflections.
    •Ray-tracing of motion-blur, even in the most extreme cases, is not a problem anymore. Performance is such that there are no objectionable speed differences between motion-blurred and static frames.
    •Ray-tracing of dense and translucent surfaces, such as hair, is up to 3x faster.
    •Ray-tracer startup time has been accelerated. Space partition build has been multi-threaded and other, geometry specif optimizations, have been implemented.
    •Sampling in the ray tracing algorithm has been greatly improved. This means that less samples are needed to obtain noise-free images, especially with image based lighting.
    •Subsurface scattering is 5x faster when combined with the path tracer.
    •Multi-threading scalability have been improved for both the REYES rendering algorithm as well as in the path tracer.
    •Better multi-threading of texture reads. This can drastically improve render times when using a very large number of texture files. We measured improvements of up to 25% faster.
    •Rendering dense volume clouds (region with many interior shaders) is up to 2.5x faster.
    •Point-cloud writing is now multi-threaded.
    •Shader compiler produces better code and is able to use up to 50% less varying variables as before. This translate to faster renders.
    •Access to very large files have been improved by using memory mapped I/O when possible. This is especially useful when accessing large point-based files.
    •Memory usage for very large polygonal meshes has been reduced. We measured up to 4x less memory used on some typical production scenes.
    •tdlmake is 2x faster.

That sounds very good and promising. I have not tried the new DAZ Studio beta yet, but it should render much faster now!

Post edited by XoechZ on
    edited December 1969

Thanks again.

I hoooooope DAZ will offer tool ,, both ds can auto-synclonize and overwrite data in both CMS,,

without it, when I just categorize items ,I may need to export re-import user data again, or manually re-categorize for the other CMS
    many times,,

and save as figure and prop,, with metadata option,, (compatibility etc) may not work for different CMS
    untill re-import user or product data, ^^;

edited December 1969

Did you guys tweak the weight mapping?? I'm either getting more stupid by the day or things are just too different for my brain to deal with at this point of the game. I guess I'll just play in ZBrush from now on and maybe hire someone to deal with this when I finish my Pan figure. It's gotten harder, not easier. My idea of easy is YOU GUYS should be making weight mapping as simple as pointing to a joint and telling the program to weight map it x y and z or what ever that particular joint is. I've been considering bringing my SuperSuit set over to GM2 and just trying to weight map the trunks was a night mare I'd rather not revisit. On the Z axis when the legs are spread completely out to the sides things go very wrong. Nothing is smooth regardless. I even "borrowed" the weight mapping from another set of shorts that were just about the same as the ones I made and while they are perfect the transfer was not giving me what I needed. So I just deleted the entire mess and threw my hands up. I'm not sure if your planning on ever making weight mapping more intuitive and making it so most of the technical stuff is handled for us but if not I'm probably going to go back to making morphs and maybe some skin eventually. My take on all this is I'm an artist, I'm not a technician. That's your job. My job is to make stuff and have it just work so I can support your figures. If not I'm not in the game....

It's a great beta by the way. It's probably one of the best beta's you guys ever released hands down. Your new smart content system is working just fine.

Sorry for the rant but needed to get it off my chest so I can go watch some Californiacation ... Yup! Fun time... See ya..

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I can't get this to show up in DIM whatever I do, I have Display Hidden ticked, I have Public and Private ticked.
    I've even tried buying the beta again still nothing.

edited December 1969

If I exit the DIM when I relaunch it Show Hidden is unticked again.

• BackDoor3DBackDoor3D Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

I have been following all comments with great interest. So I jumped in the deep end and installed the new "Public Beta" using DIM.

All appeared to go to plan. Everything was in DIM to download, install etc.

Launched the new "DAZ Studio 4.6 (64-bit) Public Build +BETA+" with great anticipation.

But alas, all was not well. Checked to see if the "postgres" process(es) was indeed running using Activity Monitor, and NO the process was not.

So I uninstalled the 3 "Beta" installs with DIM, rebooted and reinstalled them again with DIM. Still no "postgres" running.

I even went to the extent of Exporting User Data, then Re-Importing MetaData using DS 4.6.2.120.....to ensure that the Valentina DB was ready and populated.....

I even checked that the PostgreSQL CMS script was present and correct as per a previous article. Everything seems to have installed how and where it should......

Anyone know what I do now? I would really love to see how the new PostgreSQL DB performs......

Cheers

edited December 1969

Righty oh. Not being very satisfied with the OS X install of the new "Public Beta" with regard to the PostgreSQL CMS not running, I decided to install it on my Windows 8 PC using DIM.

Well, you know what, success! All up and running. Woohoo! :)

The only conclusion I can draw from this exercise is that there is something amiss with the OS X install, and I don't know how to fix it.

Food for thought.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Stiks1954 said:
    Righty oh. Not being very satisfied with the OS X install of the new "Public Beta" with regard to the PostgreSQL CMS not running, I decided to install it on my Windows 8 PC using DIM.

Well, you know what, success! All up and running. Woohoo! :)

The only conclusion I can draw from this exercise is that there is something amiss with the OS X install, and I don't know how to fix it.

Food for thought.

If I understand what Rob posted a page or two back there is an issue with the Mac installers which they are looking at.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Did you guys tweak the weight mapping?? I'm either getting more stupid by the day or things are just too different for my brain to deal with at this point of the game. I guess I'll just play in ZBrush from now on and maybe hire someone to deal with this when I finish my Pan figure. It's gotten harder, not easier. My idea of easy is YOU GUYS should be making weight mapping as simple as pointing to a joint and telling the program to weight map it x y and z or what ever that particular joint is. I've been considering bringing my SuperSuit set over to GM2 and just trying to weight map the trunks was a night mare I'd rather not revisit. On the Z axis when the legs are spread completely out to the sides things go very wrong. Nothing is smooth regardless. I even "borrowed" the weight mapping from another set of shorts that were just about the same as the ones I made and while they are perfect the transfer was not giving me what I needed. So I just deleted the entire mess and threw my hands up. I'm not sure if your planning on ever making weight mapping more intuitive and making it so most of the technical stuff is handled for us but if not I'm probably going to go back to making morphs and maybe some skin eventually. My take on all this is I'm an artist, I'm not a technician. That's your job. My job is to make stuff and have it just work so I can support your figures. If not I'm not in the game....

It's a great beta by the way. It's probably one of the best beta's you guys ever released hands down. Your new smart content system is working just fine.

Sorry for the rant but needed to get it off my chest so I can go watch some Californiacation ... Yup! Fun time... See ya..

Assuming you mean the weights generated by the Transfer Utility, what were your settings? Smart Filtering can cause issues, especially if the mesh isn't yet grouped, I believe.

edited December 1969

Cheers Richard. I look forward to a "Fix" soon....:)

edited December 1969

I eventually got it to show up in DIM by doing a search, seems odd that only the Dynamic (64bit)Beta showed up in updated products the rest was way down the list, I'm not even sure if its the correct Beta, so I'll give it a miss this time just hoped it was a bit better than the present official build which is unstable and glitch for me.

edited April 2014

If the beta is listed as DAZ Studio 4.6 (Win 64bit *or 32bit* ) Public Build +Beta+ that's the right beta. Just find the other components with the 4.6 Public Build +Beta+ tag on it and your set to go Scorpio!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

Hiya,

My settings were basically the base normal transfer settings. I've started over to see if I can improve things but yea, Weight mapping is easy if it's a skirt or a conforming piece with parts that all can flow together. Part of my issue was getting the belt, buckle and loops stationary since they were really suffering since they are stacked on top of the main trunks garment. Once I added them to that "selection sets" group that basically freezes them but allowed for scaling then that part of was good but getting weight mapping to cooperate for the Z axis was what put me in a bad mood and caused me to throw my hands up in the air in defeat. Seems that when I tried to improve it it just got worse rather than better with each stroke of the brush. Too daunting for my tastes.

If you know of a better way, let me know Richard. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

RAMWolff said:

Assuming you mean the weights generated by the Transfer Utility, what were your settings? Smart Filtering can cause issues, especially if the mesh isn't yet grouped, I believe.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited April 2014

Note:The PostgreSQL CMS and the data conversion package are not available as a standalone installers. They must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager.

Is this just for the beta? Or will it also apply to the release build? I don't use DIM. I don't care about the conversion process, either; I have nothing in my "smart" content anyway because the current CMS is so buggy and corrupts itself every 3-4 weeks, I don't even bother to rebuild the CMS any more. So uninstalling the current CMS and going PostgreSQL is appealing, but won't happen if I can only get it via DIM.

Thanks

Post edited by cwichura on
  • rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

Update on the Mac PostgreSQL CMS issue... (sorry, I don't have time to respond to anything else at the moment)

There was an update, pushed to the server earlier today, that fixed the permissions issues on the executable files within the package; what I suspected to be at play, was part of the issue. That same update should also fix the “not found in zip” error... along with a few other minor tweaks to labeling.

The other part of the issue, also permissions related, isn't actually the package that is at fault. It's the fact that Install Manager Helper (a helper application that handles elevated permissions when needed), after installing the PostgreSQL package, starts the PostgreSQL server and that helper is elevated. PostgreSQL will not run correctly if executed with elevated permissions. We will be updating Install Manager to account for this in the near future. In the meantime, you should be able to start using PostgreSQL CMS if you do the following:

- Install PostgreSQL CMS
    - Close Install Manager
    - Delete the ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/cms/ContentCluster folder (if it exists)
    - Start Install Manager or DAZ Studio

This works because: closing Install Manager closes the [elevated] Install Manager Helper, deleting the folder deletes the database with the wrong permissions (if one was created), and neither Install Manager nor DAZ Studio are elevated when initially launched - so when either one starts the PostgreSQL server, it does so with the proper permissions and creates the ContentCluster folder with the proper permissions.

-Rob

edited December 1969

In case this is of any use to anyone ...

I really couldn't see how ZoneAlarm could be stopping the new CMS and DS and DIM from talking to each other for just four minutes each time, then letting them get on with it. Just stopping them, yes; erratic interference, maybe; but a consistent four minute hold up then let go?

However, I experimentally uninstalled ZoneAlarm ... and DS Pubic Beta and DIM started launching in a timely fashion, connecting to the new CMS straight away. So it WAS ZoneAlarm.

I've used ZoneAlarm for 14 years during which it had worked flawlessly even though I hardly engage in risk averse web browsing - quite the opposite, in fact. Nothing untoward has ever got through the firewall in all that time. ZoneAlarm has engendered a great deal of confidence and loyalty from me as a consequence.

Nevertheless, I've installed a different firewall (in fact security suite, replacing my AV too). Serious pain at the moment as I'm unfamiliar with the new one. Took one DS run that ended in a task manager kill and two more run and quits to get requests from the security suite for permissions for DS and two processes of the new CMS. But they are now all running again, and launching at normal speed without the four minute delay.

If something nasty gets through this new firewall, I'm going to be seriously peeved., And it's going to take a long time for me to feel the confidence I had in ZA.

edited April 2014

I just use MS Essentials David. I think it works pretty well without bogging down my system as many of the suites tend to do. I go to that security site: Shields UP: https://www.grc.com/faq-shieldsup.htm to run a check on the system and it always checks out just fine. I'm sure there is something better out there but I don't know what it would be without 1) costing me a yearly fee and 2) bogging down my system.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-protect-pc-from-viruses

Post edited by RAMWolff on