Cromer Pier - Re-Issued

Comments

• skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Thank you for that, Simon. You are quite right. There is perhaps an understandable feeling among creators of models that ours is the only correct way of doing things and it is our task to enable others to duplicate it. That is of course quite, quite wrong - rather like a Pharoah trying to continue to rule after death !!! When we release a model upon the world it passes into the hands of others; they contribute too, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have for example, seen how some contribute humour; others fantasy, while all will add figures and props of their own choosing. That is great and as it should be. Another way of looking at it is to say that the creator of a model simply kicks a ball into play and that others run with it. It is like the author of a short story - someone lengthens it into a novel - someone else turns that into a stage play - then it is made into a movie - another adds music - so on and on. All create and have fun, in their own way.
    In this model the sea is a single plane with bump, transparency, reflection and refraction, but in addition there is a band of surf that also is adjustable in a variety of settings. This is going to involve two props, but so be it. It is quite likely that someone somewhere will develop it further.
    Much to do.....:coolsmile:

Post edited by skipper25 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I guess I will be considered somewhat strange, but I actually think the sea is most interesting in Winter, especially during rough weather. I used to love walking along the seaside during a storm, and have been known to be caught out walking along the coast duiring a thunderstorm in summer, soaked to the skin and loving every moment of it.

Yes as Simon says the sea has many moods,

edited July 2012

Nothing strange about that, Cho. We all respond to the elements and be the conditions good or bad, at such times we are more truly alive.
    I have been thinking about wave forms. Out at sea in moderate conditions, they are nearly a sine wave. There is a carrier wave and other smaller sine waves are superimposed two or more deep. As the carrier wave nears the shore, so it piles up into a sawtooth wave before peaking and breaking. It is obviously asking too much to try and duplicate all of this complexity, but it might be possible to create a bump map that is a sine at one end and a sawtooth at the other. I think that I would like to experiment a little before giving up.
    BTW, it is my birthday today. I am 83. :lol: I'll be studying the wave forms in a glass!

Image1.jpg
    315 x 390 - 25K
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Happy birthday :)

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969

Happy birthday Skipper and cheers

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Happy Birthday Skipper. Hope you have a great day.

edited July 2012

Thanks folks. I've got the drinks and store cupboard stacked up with all sorts of goodies and will gorge myself stupid. At my age, there is little else left to enjoy!
    As I expected, it is not difficult to create bump maps of various wave forms, but translating them into a realistic sea is gonna be something else again. Mmmmmmmm.... (Thinks. Drinks. Thinks again.)
    Skol.......

Bumps1.jpg
    500 x 112 - 8K
    edited December 1969

Happy birthday Skipper, may you have many more Iechyd Da

edited December 1969

Thanks Cho. My wife had a better ear for languages than I, but I seem to remember that "lechyd Da" means "good luck" or "good health." Am I right?
    Scratching my head produced only splinters and no inspiration, so I am going to go with the sea as I've already done it. Steady work now, converting everything for Poser....

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Happy Birthday - was I anywhere near the NE of England I'd drop by with a bottle ... :)

edited December 1969

Skipper, yup Good health it is. English people usually seem to hear it as Yakky Da.

edited December 1969

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a stiff drink and a bar for my head to lie,
    And the whisky's kick and the wife's song and the DAZ MAT's making
    And a good material in the Poser room and no headache dawning.

With profuse apologies to John Masefield!

edited December 1969

Cho - dunno from where I produced that, however. BTW, do you normally write "Da" with a capital letter?
    Simon - no need for profuse apologies. I am sure that Masefield would have been impressed. (And you'd be welcome, bottle or no. I've got plenty.)
    Mmmmm. 'S empty - I must get another.

edited December 1969

Skipper, no not normally, where we would say Good health in welsh it is Health good.so I am wrong when I capitalise the "da"

But I am only learning. Just a beginner, and not an easy language to learn. May get on a bit better when our new neigbours move in, she is a Welsh teacher, by which I mean she is both Welsh, and teaches Welsh to school children, so a native speaker.

edited December 1969

It is very courageous of you. I am sure that I could never manage it. We were in Builth Wells one time and a guy was showing me his map. Feeling a bit naughty, I said, "Gawd! It looks like a foreign language!" My wife later said that I was lucky to get out alive.

edited December 1969

Yeah you were. TIs English that is the foreign language, bought over with them Angle and Saxon invaders. THe most ancient of ancient Britons come from Wales.

edited December 1969

Right. I had intended my remark to be jocular but did not realise how sensitive the subject is. We learn. The best of it is that English is a bastardised language containing elements picked up from all over. Damn - the man-in-the-street cannot read or understand documents only a few hundred years old. Welsh OTOH remains pure - or so I believe.
    No hangover this morning. Coffee - and then on with translating for Poser.

edited December 1969

Soory if the previous post came over a bit snctimonius, I am after all only adopted Welsh, by reason of [A] marrying a welsman and moving up here.

BTW local joke would have it the the reason for the topograhy of Wales is that when the Amgles and Saxons invaded the welsh all worked together and puushed Wales further away from them, thus squashing it up into Mountains and Valleys.
    Apparently if you could find a big enough Steam Roller and flatten it out again it would be bigger than England LOL :coolsmirk:

edited August 2012

Don't worry, Cho. Your remark did not come over as sanctimonious, but merely the continuance of pleasant chat.
    Another standing joke about Wales is the rain. One guy remarked that the many pretty waterfalls are compensation, adding, "We've got lots of compensation." That was not so much as a place in the Faroes though, where one spot is called The Valley of a Thousand Waterfalls. I think that is an under-estimate - all three sides of the valley were streaming, trickling and falling.
    Very slow start to Poser conversion, held up by vital TV viewing. It's going to be several days, I fear.

edited December 1969

We are chugging along, interrupted by essential TV viewing as I indicated, but are nearly complete. All being well, I should be able to upload this weekend.

edited December 1969

It didn't happen, I fear. About a month ago I was very pleased with myself when I recreated those amazing steps in the forecourt, but now I am paying the price. Taken together, those steps and the curly walls encompassing them comprise no less than 1,284 faces even with a reduction offered by Hexagon, but (wouldn't you know it?) Poser doesn't like them. In short, a proportion of these faces rendered with reverse normals and correcting them has been rather like picking grains of rice with a pin. We are getting there, but it has been an unexpected delay. Watch this space.

edited December 1969

Patience is a virtue, but a dram of scotch is better :)

edited December 1969

Oh dear. the dreaded attack of the reverse normals. They are most annoying little beggars aren't they.

edited December 1969

Good excuse to open a bottle, though. LOL.
    I believe that I've cured every last one now, so all that remains is to check for any last-minute alterations, prepare some promo pics, write a ReadMe and bundle up. Keep your fingers crossed - it rather looks as though Wednesday will be the day.

edited August 2012

Here it is - http://www.ShareCG.com/v/64064/view/5/3D-Model/Cromer-Pier
    Have fun and don't forget to post your renders!

Promo3.jpg
    800 x 629 - 111K
    article-0-13D4271D000005DC-789_634x505_Cromer.jpg
    634 x 505 - 78K
    Promo1.jpg
    800 x 469 - 60K
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

It looks great - thanks so much :)

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Thanks Skipper. Thanks for all your hard work. Well worth the wait.:-)

• bakpbakp Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Wow, this is nice, thank you so much!

edited December 1969

Woohoo, and a day early! :)

• HoboBoHoboBo Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Excellent work, Skipper! :)