Does anyone know of any tutorials on how to make the Star Trek: TNG main characters into 3D models i

edited April 2014 in Hexagon Discussion

I went through all 25 pages in the Hexagon Discussion and didn't find a thread for this so this is my question:

Does anyone know of any tutorials on how to make the Star Trek: TNG main characters into 3D models from scratch in Hexagon?

Thanks for any help provided,

~ZeusFluff~

Post edited by peterandoliviaforever on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited December 1969

I assume you mean the clothes and maybe morphs for Daz3D genesis?
    or do you mean model figures from scratch?
    I cannot help you much with either in Hexagon as it is not my modeler of choice but knowing exactly what you mean will help those who can help understand better what you wish to know.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited April 2014

Nope. Not specifically for ST ... there are a couple of tuts for a ship [but not with Hexie].

Doesn't mean one couldn't start something though.

I do hope you're referring to using Genesis or the Genesis 2 figures.

edit: just caught the "from scratch" ... that's a lot of work, is there a particular reason? Morphing the above figures would be a lot easier [and some are already done, the ST thread is the one to check].

Post edited by patience55 on
  • edited December 1969

I did check the ST thread, but a lot of the links aren't working, not connecting to the Host Server.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

With regards to use of photos, first are the legal rights of the photographer ... then there are personal rights ... and possible a bunch of other rights. I'm not a lawyer but do know that "model releases" exist for a reason.

So first step for making morphs for any character would be to get some decent photos.
    I did find this warning with one of the images on Wiki for Sir Patrick Stewart

Personality rights warning

Although this work is freely licensed or in the public domain, the person(s) shown may have rights that legally restrict certain re-uses unless those depicted consent to such uses. In these cases, a model release or other evidence of consent could protect you from infringement claims. Though not obliged to do so, the uploader may be able to help you to obtain such evidence. See our general disclaimer for more information.

AFAIK, under no circumstances is one to use anybody's photo for skin textures without having first obtained all the legal clearances required [check with local lawyers for details].

The basic idea is to load a squared image to the side and back grids in Hexagon, and then carefully morph the face to match. Start with a "grey" G or G2M which has been sent to Hexagon via the bridge from D/S4.x
    Save the project file as this is likely going to take awhile.
    Make the morph without changing the number of anything [dots, lines or faces]
    Periodically save the project file, use incre saves.

Eventually when the face morph is ready for testing, export out the .obj to the desktop or some place easy to find.
    Close Hexagon.
    Open D/S, using the bridge - send over to Hexagon the same base figure. Keep D/S open.
    In Hexagon, import in the recent export [i.e. the morphed figure] ... delete the one that D/S sent over.
    Selecting the morphed one in Hexagon, send it over the Bridge to D/S and make the morph.
    If it's a keeper [or usable anyway], "0" the morph and "save it".

• edited December 1969

Thanks I'll have a go at it and see where it takes me.