Shader question

Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been playing a bit with the Genesis Supersuit in DS but want to bring it over to Carrara for some experiments. Since the Supersuit has so many material zones, might there be some ways in Carrara to help me handle them all?

For example, might it be possible to group a set of shaders which all share the same settings under one shader? That way I could make a change to one and affect them all. Is something like that even possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    For example, might it be possible to group a set of shaders which all share the same settings under one shader? That way I could make a change to one and affect them all. Is something like that even possible?

Under the EDIT MENU --> REMOVE UNUSED MASTERS --> CONSOLIDATE SHADERS will attempt to replace all duplicate shaders with the first version.
    Screen_Shot_2012-07-26_at_12.00_.29_PM_.png
    495 x 219 - 53K
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

holly, would this work even if the shaders are all meant for different parts of the model? For example, if I have the same shader on a glove as I do on a pant leg or boot, would this help me make changes on one so that the others are affected as well?

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It attempts to find matching shaders, delete all but one, and replace all the instances with that one shader. At the end of this process you will have fewer shaders to edit. The remaining shader is applied to multiple shader domains.

There is a more complex method where you create a REFERENCE SHADER that allows you to "puppet" other shaders, but I do not think that is what you want.

CONSOLODATE SHADERS is a one-time process. It's actually a good idea to do it after you bring in any Poser item as it releases a lot of virtual memory.

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Wow, holly, thanks!

I guess I'd seen something about a Reference Shader somewhere and thought that I'd have to do that. This sounds much easier. Just in case, I may look up how to create a Reference Shader just in case.

Thanks again!