Carrara in Wine

thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I know this isn't supported but... I'm trying to use Carrara in Wine which is something I've done before on a different computer. I remember there was something that I needed to do for things to work right, but I can't remember what it was. It was someone in this forum that solved it for me before, but I can't remember who and private messages from the old site are no more.

What I had handy was C8.5-149, which may be problematic under Wine all by itself so that might be an issue. The host operating system is Kubuntu 12.04. I just installed Wine and it appears to be v1.4.

The installation itself went fine and Carrara started up. Made a basic scene and all was good until I went to render it. That caused an immediate error and subsequently the current window cannot be changed from the render window. I've tried switching rooms and using the Windows menu to select other windows, but it doesn't work.

I'm hoping whoever it was that was kind enough to help before sees this, but if anyone has input I'm happy to hear it.

Comments

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Looks like I sorted it out myself. The key was to disable texture spooling. Not sure why that matters, but it does. Now, if only Wine were capable of 64-bit applications I'd be happy. :cheese:

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    Looks like I sorted it out myself. The key was to disable texture spooling. Not sure why that matters, but it does. Now, if only Wine were capable of 64-bit applications I'd be happy. :cheese:

Almost there... almost...

Kendall

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    I know this isn't supported but... I'm trying to use Carrara in Wine which is something I've done before on a different computer. I remember there was something that I needed to do for things to work right, but I can't remember what it was. It was someone in this forum that solved it for me before, but I can't remember who and private messages from the old site are no more.

What I had handy was C8.5-149, which may be problematic under Wine all by itself so that might be an issue. The host operating system is Kubuntu 12.04. I just installed Wine and it appears to be v1.4.

The installation itself went fine and Carrara started up. Made a basic scene and all was good until I went to render it. That caused an immediate error and subsequently the current window cannot be changed from the render window. I've tried switching rooms and using the Windows menu to select other windows, but it doesn't work.

I'm hoping whoever it was that was kind enough to help before sees this, but if anyone has input I'm happy to hear it.

It seems you sorted it out before I got on this morning... In any case, Texture Spooling will cause problems. You can increase your stability but decrease general performance by using winetricks to tell wine to use the native vcrun2010 instead of the built-in replacements.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind.

• jefsviewjefsview Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I switched over to Linux because I wanted to run 64 bit OS but didn't have the money to afford another Windows.

After months of trial and error with various Linux distros and learning the main stuff to keep it all up and healthy, I ended up with Xubuntu (just didn't like how Debian managed multiarch support, even though it's faster than Ubuntu-based. Fedora just didn't like me, and Gentoo/Sabayon seemed a bit of a memory hog, even for XFCE).

Finally got Carrara 8.1 and my old PS Elements working under Wine within the last month. Tried to see if Wine 1.5 series would play with 64 bit, and nope. But 8.1 32 runs well enough, even though C 8.1 is still buggy. (darn nil point errors)

A shout out to Jetbird, whose postings on the Wine forums taught me the Texture spooling trick for rendering.

Live and Learn. Now I just need some time to render some stuff out.

-- Jeff

edited December 1969

jefsview said:
    Yeah, I switched over to Linux because I wanted to run 64 bit OS but didn't have the money to afford another Windows.

After months of trial and error with various Linux distros and learning the main stuff to keep it all up and healthy, I ended up with Xubuntu (just didn't like how Debian managed multiarch support, even though it's faster than Ubuntu-based. Fedora just didn't like me, and Gentoo/Sabayon seemed a bit of a memory hog, even for XFCE).

Finally got Carrara 8.1 and my old PS Elements working under Wine within the last month. Tried to see if Wine 1.5 series would play with 64 bit, and nope. But 8.1 32 runs well enough, even though C 8.1 is still buggy. (darn nil point errors)

A shout out to Jetbird, whose postings on the Wine forums taught me the Texture spooling trick for rendering.

Live and Learn. Now I just need some time to render some stuff out.

-- Jeff

In the old forums I had several tutorials on getting everything DAZ, except Bryce 7, running in Linux/Wine. I've been working on getting a distro neutral document on here since before the new forums went live, but things keep getting in the way.

Kendall

• jefsviewjefsview Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Like learning Linux, everything with WINE is trial and error and reading forums posts :)

I tried different fronts ends for Wine, too, and ended up liking PlayonLinux the most, since I was sandbox different versions of Wine simultaneously for individual softwares, without having to worry about updates screwing up the installs. Most distros only allow for one active version of Wine to be installed onto the system itself, which is troublesome. But PlayonLinux works everytime, and is available for just about every distro out there.

Kendall, I thought of emailing you several times, since you offered on on the old forums, but I just kept at it. Been working on learning Linux since late last year, and after running Debains Sid for a few months, I learned enough to troubleshoot my way.

Still can't get my head around Blender, and I bought so much content in the past I need to have something working. Luckily DAZ software works very well under Wine, while Poser is too convoluted under the hood for it to work with Wine. Makes me happy to have switched over to Carrara.

Well, if you find the time, those brief tutorials would be welcome on the new forums. I've a feeling more people might start looking at Linux more with the current state of the economy and the early, negative tech reviews I've read for Windows 8 :)

-- Jeff

edited December 1969

jefsview said:
    Like learning Linux, everything with WINE is trial and error and reading forums posts :)

I tried different fronts ends for Wine, too, and ended up liking PlayonLinux the most, since I was sandbox different versions of Wine simultaneously for individual softwares, without having to worry about updates screwing up the installs. Most distros only allow for one active version of Wine to be installed onto the system itself, which is troublesome. But PlayonLinux works everytime, and is available for just about every distro out there.

Kendall, I thought of emailing you several times, since you offered on on the old forums, but I just kept at it. Been working on learning Linux since late last year, and after running Debains Sid for a few months, I learned enough to troubleshoot my way.

... snip ...

-- Jeff

This isn't quite the case, but POL does make it easier to access... All WINE's have the option of using bottles, it is a function of WINE itself, not the distros. I used bottles long before they were given the name "bottles" and before their use was widely used outside of development circles. If one was a tester, one really didn't have a choice. For those not versed in what we're talking about: using separate bottles allows for running simultaneous copies of DS (or Carrara, or any piece of software) concurrently without corrupting the individual sessions. It is similar to running multiple copies of Windows in Virtual Machines, but without the overhead.

In any case, most distros set up only the base WINEPREFIX using the default .wine or .wine64 areas for the user, but they also rely on the user to select the version of WINE they are most comfortable with. If one wanted the most stable, bottle based, easiest to use WINE they'd purchase a copy of CrossOver. It's not expensive. For those not willing to spend money, POL is definitely a valid option. For someone like me though, POL is just too limiting.

Just as there are some disadvantages to using WINE for DAZ products, there are some great advantages as well. :-)

I'm always willing to help people, so feel free to ask.

Kendall

• Jetbird D2Jetbird D2 Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Hello!

Did anyone had any luck to run 64 bit Carrara? I know someone had success at making it run on Fedora.
    Could this person educate us on steps the one did to run 64bit version?

Carrara 8 64bit almost loads but ends up with an error. So basically it means there is this tiny thing missing there for it to run.
    Would be grateful :)

edited December 1969

Hello!

Did anyone had any luck to run 64 bit Carrara? I know someone had success at making it run on Fedora.

Carrara 8 64bit almost loads but ends up with an error. So basically it means there is this tiny thing missing there for it to run.

As with Bryce under 32... it's oh so close. But so frustratingly far away as well. Haven't tried under F17 yet, but I wouldn't expect much difference.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Hello!

I've tried with both win64 (v1.4) as provided with Kubuntu 12.04 and with compiling from source (1.5.9-242) and have the same result from each.

However, Carrara under Wine even though it works has some issue. For example, it (infrequently) will just hang on me for an extended time period (longer than a few seconds, less than a minute). I have never seen this on OS X or WinXP and the system wine is running on is much faster (OS X is a core2 duo, WinXP is a dual core Athlon 64, Wine is on a hex core Sandy Bridge Xeon) with more memory.

It also seems slower in some operations, though that is entirely subjective as I haven't tried doing the same operations in the same scene to compare.