Genesis legacy morph and textures

SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
edited December 1969 in New Users

Okay another noob questions, one of these days they will get less noobish (I hope!)

So I was looking into how to get V4 and M4 stuff to work on Genesis, such as the morphs and skin textures.

The store seems to have two options for it: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x-upgrade-from-gen4/
and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis/

Which one does the community feel works best?

Thanks!
Amy

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can point this out, the first selection Gen-X Upgrade, is not the Full program, it is the Upgrade to make the older Gen-? program into Gen-X full. Please do not purchase it unless you bought the original program from the Rendo file site.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

If I recall correctly genx requires the v4 and M4 shapes my guess is that you need the tend full version and the v/m4 shapes

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x/
    that is the version of tend you would need.

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Okay I am confused, not an unusual state sadly.

Okay so I have Genesis, V4 and M4, what I want is to be able to use my morphs and textures for V4 and M4 on my Genesis model.

So which program works for that?

Thanks!
    Amy

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your V4 and M4 textures will work on Genesis right now. The default genesis texture UV is the V4 texture UV. Under the Surfaces Tab in DS you can chose which UV texture you wish genesis to use. V4 and M4 are built into it as choses.

As for using V4 and M4 morphs in the Genesis figure you need the Gen X plugin to transfer those morphs to the genesis figure. This is the plugin you will need. Genesis Generation X. If you do not have them you can also buy the Genesis V4 and M4 shapes for genesis. They are here, V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis. You can also get a nice set of morphs that have most of the Gen 4 morphs (V4 and M4 are Gen 4 figures) for Genesis. They are here, Evolution Body Morphs. As you can see you have many choices. I hope this will help you deside what you wish to do.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2012

I think Jaderail gave a thorough answer, but since I'm still new myself I thought it might be helpful to rephrase it, from one noob to another. ;-)

What you need to buy depends on what you want to do:

To use V4 and M4 textures on Genesis, you don't need to buy anything extra. V4 textures work right "out of the box" and M4 textures do also, but in that case you'll need to go to the Surfaces Tab and change the UV layout from V4 to M4.

If you want Genesis to look like V4 and/or M4--in other words, to have the same basic shape--you'll need the V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis. (These are also required for some characters that are described as being "for V4 and Genesis" or "for M4 and Genesis." Without the shapes you can use these characters, but they won't look exactly as intended.)

If you want to use V4 Morphs ++ and M4 Morphs ++ on Genesis, you'll need to own those morph sets, plus Genesis Generation X, plus the V4 and M4 Shapes. Or you could get the Genesis Evolutions Head and Body Morphs; these aren't identical to Morphs ++ but they are very similar; basically they are the Genesis equivalent of Morphs ++.

If you want to use V4 and M4 characters on Genesis, you'll need Genesis Generation X, plus the V4 and M4 Shapes.

And you probably know this already, but you can also use V4 and M4 clothing on Genesis without buying anything extra, using AutoFit or other methods. AutoFit works better in DS 4.5. And you can use V4 and M4 hair, but it will likely require some manual adjustments.

Hope this helps...(and someone please correct me if I got anything wrong). :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

Sorry to add more confusion, but keep in mind that plugins like Genesis Generation X don't work yet in the DAZ studio Release Candidate for version 4.5.

• edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Sorry to add more confusion, but keep in mind that plugins like Genesis Generation X don't work yet in the DAZ studio Release Candidate for version 4.5.

Yep, Found this out the hard way. Been playin' with Daz3d 4.0 since May, saw 4.5 was up and installed it, now Genx won't work...D'Oh!

Instant karma for the noob on the bleeding edge (they don't call it 'bleeding' for nothing)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The new version of GenX for 4.5 is being worked on by the creator, and it should be ready shortly I believe.

• edited December 1969

The new version of GenX for 4.5 is being worked on by the creator, and it should be ready shortly I believe.

Thanx, good to know. I look forward to uing it again.