fur

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi!!! I don't understand why, doing a very simple animation, with a head and some hair on it, the fact to keyframe the hair, then one second later, to brush a little the hair, and make a second key, doesn't work... at the end, the hair stays like the last "brush job", since the beginning!... any way to animate hair with simple ways like that?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I take it you're talking dynamic hair? There's been lots of discussion about it. Some very recently.

Dynamic hair is more of a simulation, so it is not able to be key framed as far as I can tell.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Right. You can simulate the hair in either the main Assembly Room, or in the Hair's Modeling Room.
    In both cases, go to the 'Dynamics' tab and click "Simulate". Page 732 of the manual (Help > Carrara Help), which is page 744 of the pdf (I printed mine out) starts the Dynamic Hair portion of the manual, and it has a lot to say about it. It's a good read if you want to use the hair.

Holly Wetcircuit has a fine tutorial fro growing hair on a cat! ;)

• laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

thank you for your answers! I sometimes get trying dynamic hair, but I get always a sort of mad hair in furious Wind, so I feel discouraged!... And I don't understand why Carrara doesn't use keys on hair, when the hair is modified during animation time!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

celmar said:
    thank you for your answers! I sometimes get trying dynamic hair, but I get always a sort of mad hair in furious Wind, so I feel discouraged!... And I don't understand why Carrara doesn't use keys on hair, when the hair is modified during animation time!

Because it is physics based. You can't keyframe objects that have their motion method set to physics either. If you have the hair react to forces, you can keyframe the strength and direction of the force.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited April 2014

carrara hair goes mad unfortunately on figures
    just the cap and some collision proxies is often ok if you can simulate it on them separately then add everything else,
    philW has a V4 proxy figure you can use then hide http://www.sharecg.com/v/51666/gallery/5/3D-Model/Lo-Res-V4-Proxy-Figure

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Right. You can simulate the hair in either the main Assembly Room, or in the Hair's Modeling Room.
    In both cases, go to the 'Dynamics' tab and click "Simulate". Page 732 of the manual (Help > Carrara Help), which is page 744 of the pdf (I printed mine out) starts the Dynamic Hair portion of the manual, and it has a lot to say about it. It's a good read if you want to use the hair.

Holly Wetcircuit has a fine tutorial fro growing hair on a cat! ;)

It does look like the docs have improved since the last time I read them, but for hair shaders it looks like frizz and kink still both use circular definitions (use kink to control the amount of kink, use the frequency slider to set the frequency). Its almost like no one knows what those controls *really* do.

Now, I'm probably wrong, but observation has led me to conclude that "frizz" curls the hair and the frequency setting controls the uniformity of the curl. At 0% it is all tightly controlled and uniform and at 100% it varies wildly at apparent random. I haven't seen it recently, but I used to have issues with Carrara losing its mind when using frizz with high segment counts where individual segments would have huge lengths, sometimes many feet in length.

Kink curves the hair strand but keeps the same overall axis outward with frequency controlling deviation from the hair's axis. Frequency scaling controls the amplitude.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Frequency controls how often the effect is used along each strand. So higher values gives more kinks than lower values do. Frequency scaling seems backwards to me, in that lower values makes bigger curls and higher values tighten them up.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:

It does look like the docs have improved since the last time I read them, but for hair shaders it looks like frizz and kink still both use circular definitions (use kink to control the amount of kink, use the frequency slider to set the frequency). Its almost like no one knows what those controls *really* do.

Now, I'm probably wrong, but observation has led me to conclude that "frizz" curls the hair and the frequency setting controls the uniformity of the curl. At 0% it is all tightly controlled and uniform and at 100% it varies wildly at apparent random. I haven't seen it recently, but I used to have issues with Carrara losing its mind when using frizz with high segment counts where individual segments would have huge lengths, sometimes many feet in length.

Kink curves the hair strand but keeps the same overall axis outward with frequency controlling deviation from the hair's axis. Frequency scaling controls the amplitude.

I had the idea that the three curling shaders all do the same thing but at different scales.... And taking a peek to confirm I see a few more Shader "issues" (Wave says "amplitude" but the other two don't). Wave is the more robust shader since you can set the oscillation of x/y separately. I honestly think the other two are the same just at different scales (order of magnitude?). Combining them can make hair disappear in patches, so I don't combine.

Clump is different because its effect is not length but width - It is the "hair gel" shader that looks like you finger-raked some goop through your hair, especially the tips.... Call it the Jersey Shore Shader..... Supposedly this is the shader that suffers from Shader Crawl unless you toggle the local space setting. This shader also has an equivalent in the hair model room under Auto-grouping.

Anyway, yeah, it's all alchemy so ymmv. Suggest you switch all lights to Shadow Buffers while playing around because it renders the hair much faster.