Installing New Products?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,609
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is there a good explanation of the process of installing new items I buy from the Daz studio site....or other sites. Currently the process works like this:
--a buy at item and download a zip file.
--This file is unpacked and one of two things happen: An install program is created that installs various files in various locations in "My Library." OR...a folder is created right beside the Zip file with various items in various folders.

Is there any standard procedure on checking that installed files are in the right place? Is there any process on copying those files unpacked from the zip file into the proper locations within My Library? I've had a variety of results. Sometimes the new things are available in Smart Content. Other times only on the Content Library. Sometimes they are available with new projects and characters, but can't be found to be applied to previously created characters. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

All items that come in Zip file format must still be put into the Content folder or into a Poser Runtime folder if the content is in Poser only format. I had a Tutorial for installing Zip content on the old forums but it was Graphic and we can no longer see those images.

I can help you with all your zip files. I need to know what your PC is and what OS you use to help you.
    Is your computer a PC or a Mac?
    What is your OS? XP, Win 7 ect..

With that we can get started.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609
    edited December 1969

I downloaded Daz 4.0.3.47 a couple weeks ago so this is all new to me. I welcome the help. I'm using the 64 bit version on an iMac running 10.7 OS.

edited December 1969

Okay, Now I need just a tad more info, I'm PC not Mac. Does the OS allow you too Merge two folders of the same name into one larger folder? I can in Win7 can you?

edited December 1969

NOt sure about merging folders, but I can certainly drag files from one folder to another. I've operated on the assumption that this should be done. Those zip files that create a folder of contents have a folder hierarchy that matches that of the My Library hierarchy, so I've been copying files to the matching folder.

edited December 1969

Well you do not need my help. That is the whole thing in a nut shell. You know all I could have told you already.

edited December 1969

You just need these tips. Only the New items from Daz that have a MetaData file will show up in Smart Content. Only items that have metadata files show as Smart Content. Older items that do not have MetaData show in the Content Library just as you have said. As for items only working on some items. Be sure you read the info before you get new items. Lot's of things only work for one figure or for one item. Anything that says V4 and only V4 will only work on V4 must of the time. We now can use V4 clothes on Genesis but only on Genesis. So clothing for V4 will not work on M4 or vise a versa but M4's clothing can be put on Genesis. Be sure you have the Item that is required before you get things.

If your not sure just ask in the Forums. Many people will help you.

edited December 1969

Thanks. Good tips. Glad I'm on the right path. I'm using Genesis. I take it the Michael and Victorias are not made from Genesis but are sort of "genesis" precursors? I downloaded a set of morphs by Die Trying that are great and enable me to create more specific characters. The trick is I can find these morphs in new projects, but I can't find them in old projects...so I can't seem to use them to fine-tune characters I already created.

edited December 1969

That is a draw back of the Genesis figure once you save your done, without learning some new tricks. Yes V4 and all the Generation 4 or Gen 4 figures came before Genesis. It sounds to me like you are doing very well. Enjoy your Rendering, and just ask whenever you would like to know something. Someone will be able to help more often than not.

edited December 1969

Check out this thread. It is about adding new morphs to saved Genesis characters. I hope you get the help you would like.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4644/