Collision detection problem in C8

TechymanTechyman Posts: 61
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am new to C8. I have tried using collision detection, but it does not seem to work, as all of my objects continue to pass through each other. Do you have to do something besides click on the icon? I have looked at some tutorials and documentation, but they seem to indicate that all you have to do to turn it on/off is click on the icon. Am I missin a step? I will greatly appreciate any help on this matter as I have been very frustrated with the quality of documentation.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited December 1969

Hey Techy,
    Just tried this in the 8.1 and the 8.5 beta and all works fine here.....Try just dropping a couple of standard primitive spheres into the scene and make sure the little collision detection icon looks like it is 3 small white circles arranged in a triangle and then bump them together.

Regards
    Paul

• TechymanTechyman Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply, I did what you suggested and the spheres worked. Unfortunately, while they collided with each other, they would not collide with the other objects that I already have in the scene. Specifically, I have two table tops made from replicated planks. I'll keep playing around, but so far I'm not overly impressed with C8's modeling capabilities. Maybe I just need a little more practice.

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Techyman said:
    Specifically, I have two table tops made from replicated planks. I'll keep playing around, but so far I'm not overly impressed with C8's modeling capabilities. Maybe I just need a little more practice.

That may be the problem right there. Try it with actual geometry rather than replicated objects. You can convert anything that has been replicated if you wish.

On the modelling front are you still refering to physics simulation or actual modelling? There are plenty in the group who can help with both issues.
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

i have found collision dete3ction problematic. if you apply it to one object it effects all objects. will not let you squeeze between two objects. if you have many objects and they are close but not touching it wont move. it would be better if they had find ground and let objects pass thru each other to find the ground

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Replicated objects don't have a mesh to collide against. After you replicate the object click the create button.

• TechymanTechyman Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

I did use the create button, but so far, collision detection only seems to work on newly created primatives. I have been working through a tutorial called "Modeling a Picnic Table" and it is very good about laying out the steps, but I have hit this point in the instructions and can't seem to figure out how to get CD to work on the objects that I have created so far. There is alot to like about DAZ, but the lack of documention has always been a sore point.

Thanks for help. I will continue to work through this until I either succeed or the frustration begins to outweigh the reward.

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited July 2012

Ah, now I understand.

I have just read the tutorial and that is a pretty interesting way to model, sort of like self assembly furniture but still having to build your own parts. http://www.geekatplay.com/pnina/PicnicTable/PicnicTable.pdf
    It is one of the good features of Carrara that you can build things in the assembly room on the fly when you need a quick prop.

To follow the tutorial you don't really need the collision detection, just eyeballing things should be close enough (By the way, the quickest way to duplicate a small number of parts is with Ctrl-D and then moving the part to where you want it. Pressing Ctrl-D again IMMEDIATELY after moving it, without clicking away, will reproduce the part again with the same movement applied. Then Ctrl-D again and so on).

I do recommend for static props that you learn to model entirely in the vertex room, you can insert the primitive shapes in there and modify them directly. That way your completed model will be one whole object.

The Carrara6 manual that is in 'Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8\Carrara Help\CarraraOnlineHelp' is still valid for vertex modelling and the Carrara7 manual should be available for download somewhere.

Searching for 'Carrara Vertex modelling' on Google gives some useful hits for Carrara as well as generally useful vertex modelling tips.

Post edited by RoguePilot on