Genesis to Poser .CR2 Competition

12346»

Comments

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

LOL a corner in an art gallery - love it, great idea to get to show off a variety of things in different ways.

New unofficial proposed rule:- once a concept is used in a "Here's one with what I won" image, iy can't be reused - so no more art galleries, the other winners have to think of a different angle...

Cheers,

Cliff

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited July 2012

Has the exporter in DS4.5 been improved?
    It is not much fun if you can't use any of the morphs in the clothing without going through a lot of work dialing in each one of them separate for every bodypart.

If have looked through the change log for rc3 and nothing seemed to have been done about the locked morphs, autofitted clothing and automating the process. There are some bugfixes and some poser sr2 features are added.
    Has anyone tried it yet?

Post edited by wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to stop by to say congratulations to the contest winners, and to everyone else for your great renders--and especially to Cliff for making what is an important and clearly very effective tutorial. I'm not a Poser user--at least not yet--but I think it's in everyone's interest to increase compatibility and avoid a total schism between Poser and DAZ. Plus, if I decide to buy Poser in the future I'll certainly want to use all my Genesis content in it. It's nice to know that, contrary to public opinion, the square peg can indeed fit into the round hole. :)

• Rosie DRosie D Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

'Bath First Then Shave'

;-)

BathFirstThenShave.jpg
    724 x 1017 - 463K
    edited July 2012

WimvdB None that I know of beyond what we knew from (IIRC) the 4.5 rc2 notes. However, it seems to me that it's quite possible that 4.5 isn't quite ready for its close-up yet, and that there could be more functionality inserted before it reaches actual "release" status.

Scott-Livingston Many thanks :) it's been great to see people invigorated by looking again at Genesis in Poser - for example...

Rosie D LOL you've tickled me again! I can't help but pity the poor guy though - having to undergo the indignity of a bath AND shaving? You're a cruel, cruel woman - isn't one or the other enough already? Next thing you know you'll be wanting him to wear a tie :(

Cheers,

Cliff

Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited December 1969

'All Tidied Up'

Just coudn't resist the temptation......

:roll:

Thanks again Cliff for the scripts, it can still be a bit messy getting the clothing across but at least I can look at Genesis items now with a view to using them in Poser!

AllTidiedUp.jpg
    724 x 1017 - 421K
    edited July 2012

LOL the poor fella! I daren't comment any more lest I risk inspiring any further indignity for the poor chap - but you're a mean, mean woman Rosie D! ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

PS I'm thinking the workflow should be a little better, at least, "soon".

Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Oh my!

edited December 1969

Well at least he has his pipeweed and a flagon of good ale to help him over the trauma, and I strongly suspect that he is plotting his revenge......a dish best eaten cold!!!!

Looking forward to any updates - no pressure.....

;-)

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    See http://poser.smithmicro.com/updates.html

This includes a fix which eliminates the need for some of Cliff's cloth fitting scripts when using genesis in Poser

It absolutely does a better job than at least 4 of my scripts, IMHO. Get SR3 - now :)

Now - I'd still like to see a few updates to the .CR2 exporter. Like enabling morphs, maybe making the root of the body the default selectable item instead of the hip, including IK chains... ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

• ROzbeansROzbeans Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Tutorial link in the first post doesn't work. Better link somewhere?

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

ROzbeans said:

Here you go :-)

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-to-poser-cr2

edited December 1969

ROzbeans said:

Here you go :-)

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-to-poser-cr2

Thanks - I've updated the first post to reflect the change in URL :D

Cheers,

Cliff

• motleyjustmotleyjust Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK, let's get the ball rolling with a good old-fasioned competition! A Poser render competition featuring Genesis (anyone who doesn't want Genesis, or doesn't like it, doesn't have to enter)

OK I am confused. My objection to Genesis was that I thought it only worked in DS. If you had a contest to make a Poser Render using Genesis, I would have thought that the first thing to do was explain how to do it.

I tried finding something about how to do it in the messages in this thread, but the closest I have found after some digging, was you have to do it in DS then export the figure and import to Poser and render the scene. Why?
    If I wanted to work with DS I would just render in DS.
    The only thing I dislike about Genesis is I would have to use DS. I have tried DS. I sort of understood the original version, but not since then. Some people like DS but can't use Poser. Some like Poser but can't understand DS. (I know there are some who can use both. I ain't one of them.)

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

In order to export Genesis to Poser, you have to "work in DS" for less than five minutes.

For me, that's a long way away from the 20 - 200 hours or more it would take to do all the work to get a good, final scene ready to render.

Back when the competition was running, Cliff's converter tutorial and scripts package was still on the front page of the store. A link, however, for future readers of the thread wouldn't be a bad idea.

edited December 1969

In order to export Genesis to Poser, you have to "work in DS" for less than five minutes.

You want me to take time I could use to work in Poser, to learn to use DS, so I can use it for 5 minutes, when I can already use Poser?

Back when the competition was running, Cliff's converter tutorial and scripts package was still on the front page of the store. A link, however, for future readers of the thread wouldn't be a bad idea.

It would definitely make more sense if there was a link, or an explanation or something.

edited December 1969

Images must contain (at least) one figure/conformer which has been transferred to Poser using the CR2 exporter. My tut (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-to-poser-cr2) CAN be used as a reference to aid in doing this, but that is not mandatory. Nor is there any bar on exporting other figures as .OBJ files – but at least one should use the CR2 exporter. It can be Genesis or an item of clothing, or both.

Quoted from the first post ...

• IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

I hate to be "that guy", but is this product still valuable considering the new exportability of Genesis to Poser?

edited December 1969

Oh, it is cheaper than the new DSON thingie, it works with older versions of DazStudio (for those that can't or won't update to 4.5.1.6), it works without installing an addon in the Poser software folder ...
    I think it should stay.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,835
    edited December 1969

The DSON Importer doesn't require any version of DS - as long as the content you want is updated with companion files. And it is still free if you buy content, of course.

• IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Oh, it is cheaper than the new DSON thingie, it works with older versions of DazStudio (for those that can't or won't update to 4.5.1.6), it works without installing an addon in the Poser software folder ...
    I think it should stay.

Thanks for the input, Kerya. I got the DSON importer for Poser when it was free, and purchased this importer at the PA sale for half price. I have updated to 4.5.1.6.

I wasn't asking if it should stay or not, that is not my place. I was asking it was still valuable. It sounds like in my case, I probably won't be using it much, so thanks for your input.

Indi.

edited December 1969

Indigone said:
    I hate to be "that guy", but is this product still valuable considering the new exportability of Genesis to Poser?

The DSON only works with Poser 9 +, so people with older versions might want to use it. I don't have 9, but I still see no point for me to learn DS just so I can bring a stationary figure into Poser. If I was going to use DS, I would use DS for the render.

Being able to use Genesis in Poser might be a reason for me to upgrade to 9.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Indigone said:

The DSON only works with Poser 9 +, so people with older versions might want to use it. I don't have 9, but I still see no point for me to learn DS just so I can bring a stationary figure into Poser. If I was going to use DS, I would use DS for the render.

Being able to use Genesis in Poser might be a reason for me to upgrade to 9.

The DSON Importer allows you to use Genesis in Poser without DS. Older versions of Poser don't support weight-mapping, so neither method will allow you to use Genesis in older versions of Poser.