Make minor changes to clothing in Hex?

RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello...

I just got Hexagon because I thought it might be the best tool to do what I want to do, but now I'm getting pretty overwhelmed with circular tutorials that don;t quite address my query, so here goes. This is a good example:

I have a Chinese cheongsam that is sleeveless, but I want to change it to more of a cap sleeve that extends slightly over the Gen2F model's shoulders/deltoids, and hugs them in a form fitting way. My understanding is that I would have to export the model and the dress to Hex, make the changes to the garment, and then send the garment back to DAZ with the new "style" or morph. I tried to do this, and was able to export both to Hex, though I noticed that not all of the Gen2F model's textures loaded... not that that maters, I guess. But once in Hex, can anyone walk me through the basics of how to make such mods? For instance, is this a matter of selecting points or vertices and moving them around individually? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree on this whole thing? I'm brand new to Hex, and I find it a bit like learning to fly a jumbo jet. :(

Thanks!

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

masi3vee said:
    Hello...

I just got Hexagon because I thought it might be the best tool to do what I want to do, but now I'm getting pretty overwhelmed with circular tutorials that don;t quite address my query, so here goes. This is a good example:

I have a Chinese cheongsam that is sleeveless, but I want to change it to more of a cap sleeve that extends slightly over the Gen2F model's shoulders/deltoids, and hugs them in a form fitting way. My understanding is that I would have to export the model and the dress to Hex, make the changes to the garment, and then send the garment back to DAZ with the new "style" or morph. I tried to do this, and was able to export both to Hex, though I noticed that not all of the Gen2F model's textures loaded... not that that maters, I guess. But once in Hex, can anyone walk me through the basics of how to make such mods? For instance, is this a matter of selecting points or vertices and moving them around individually? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree on this whole thing? I'm brand new to Hex, and I find it a bit like learning to fly a jumbo jet. :(

Thanks!

Hi, it's been a while since I've played in hex but I might be able to help. You have two options. First option is to create a morph for the outfit, second is to create a new object from the original.

The main difference is that when creating a morph you cannot add any new polys, vertices etc. You can only move around what is there already. Also if you create a morph you will retain all the original morphs in the outfit. If you create a new item it's a bit more complicated.

I would recommend the morph option and if you were to post a picture of the outfit I could possibly help further.

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029
    edited April 2014

Thanks for your reply. The garment is this one from Rendo:

https://bw-1651cf0d2f737d7adeab84d339dbabd3-bcs.s3.amazonaws.com/products/product_55616/Full55616.jpg

As you can see, it's sleeveless, but I'd like to make the sleeves more like this:

http://i2.wp.com/www.uboutiques.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cap_sleeve_cheongsam_yellow.jpg

It's not a severe alteration, but just enough. Also, I would prefer to retain the garment's native morphs as well. The biggest problem is that I just got Hex today, and find it utterly overwhelming. I can't even figure out how to select facets at this point! :(

Also, is it JUST the garment that I'll be sending back to DAZ? I hope so, because I have noticed that when I quit Hex, even without saving the file, I have to reset my custom character to High Rez, because Hex seems to "un-subdivide" her. :(

Post edited by RenderPretender on
    edited April 2014

masi3vee said:
    Thanks for your reply. The garment is this one from Rendo:

https://bw-1651cf0d2f737d7adeab84d339dbabd3-bcs.s3.amazonaws.com/products/product_55616/Full55616.jpg

As you can see, it's sleeveless, but I'd like to make the sleeves more like this:

http://i2.wp.com/www.uboutiques.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cap_sleeve_cheongsam_yellow.jpg

It's not a severe alteration, but just enough. Also, I would prefer to retain the garment's native morphs as well. The biggest problem is that I just got Hex today, and find it utterly overwhelming. I can't even figure out how to select facets at this point! :(

Also, is it JUST the garment that I'll be sending back to DAZ? I hope so, because I have noticed that when I quit Hex, even without saving the file, I have to reset my custom character to High Rez, because Hex seems to "un-subdivide" her. :(

Thanks for the pics...you would be best doing that via a morph.

As I think I mentioned earlier most of my morphs are fixes for autofit conversions. The original post I made can be found here complete with pictures http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8783/P15/#156115

Load outfit onto Genesis or whichever figure you are using in DS.
    Send to Hexagon via the bridge.
    Click on the padlock in the scene tab/scene tree to lock Genesis in the scene tree tab. It can be found on the right hand side.
    Click on symmetry in the property tab select x
    Click on the edge selection and select the sleeve edge. Put soft selection on you may need to play with settings. I would personally look at only impacting on the first 4-5 edges. Using the manipulator move the sleeve edge down to where you want it to be.
    Click on UV and paint tab
    Click on the soften tool and drag it gently where the mesh shows distortion a couple of times.
    It should even out the mesh stop when you're happy with how it looks.
    Validate and apply...save regularly in case you muck something up. I use incremental save. Remember ctrl z is you friend if you stuff up or are unhappy with the result.
    Select the top...I also like to make sure the selection is for the object not the edge(just to be on the safe side) and click on file sent to DS.
    This should activate a dialogue box for loading a morph.
    I would call it cap sleeve and click accept.
    Make sure the outfit is selected go to parameters and apply the morph.

You only send genesis to Hex to provide you with a model to fit the object to. For this type of morph you do not need to send it back to ds only the top needs to be sent back.

That said if you still don't know your way around Hexagon you may need to do some tutorials first. Some of the best tutorials can be found here http://www.geekatplay.com/dh.php at Geekatplay.

And here http://www.geekatplay.com/hp1.php

http://www.geekatplay.com/hp2.php

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited April 2014

Thank you for your detailed reply. I'll give this a try in the morning and let you know how it goes... wish me luck!

Edit: Where is "soft selection"? I selected the very edge of the sleeve, but when you say edges, are you referring to faces? And just along the edge, or back further into the shoulder? Also, I seem to be in Manipulator Mode, but I can't seem to drag or move the edge in any way, shape, or form... it just de-selects the edge.

edited December 1969

masi3vee said:
    Thank you for your detailed reply. I'll give this a try in the morning and let you know how it goes... wish me luck!
    fingers crossed...if you get stuck post here and I'll try and help.
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    masi3vee said:
    fingers crossed...if you get stuck post here and I'll try and help.

See my edit above... :(

edited December 1969

Ah, the manipulator was hidden. I'll play more in the morning. Wow, this is tedious... gonna be a lot of do-overs.

Also, will this do both sleeves symmetrically assuming I ever get one done?

edited December 1969

masi3vee said:
    Ah, the manipulator was hidden. I'll play more in the morning. Wow, this is tedious... gonna be a lot of do-overs.

Also, will this do both sleeves symmetrically assuming I ever get one done?

Soft selection can be found in properties, you just tick the box. The default setting of 3 tends to be too high. I normally have it around .500 or lower. Also be really careful with the soften tool. You don't want to apply it too much just use it very gently.
    edited December 1969

Okay... will keep you posted. And what about both sleeves/symmetry? Will the second one be mirrored somehow?

edited December 1969

masi3vee said:
    Okay... will keep you posted. And what about both sleeves/symmetry? Will the second one be mirrored somehow?
    If you follow the process I've put above it should be. IIRC I said to select symmetry on the x axis.

Symmetry is at the top on the right...

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi Pendria - good to see you posting here again :)

On a related subject - would you mind taking a look at this thread, see if you have a solution ? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11356/

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Hi Pendria - good to see you posting here again :)

On a related subject - would you mind taking a look at this thread, see if you have a solution ? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11356/

Hi Roygee, it's nice to have some time to look at the forums. Real life has been very hectic. I'll have a look, not sure if I'll have a solution though...Pen
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    masi3vee said:
    If you follow the process I've put above it should be. IIRC I said to select symmetry on the x axis.

Symmetry is at the top on the right...

Okay... issues:

Selecting the edge of the sleeve is selecting the edge banding, and when I try to move/manipulate it, the banding pulls away from the rest of the garment, but the sleeve stays unchanged. Have no idea what that's all about.

edited December 1969

I tried selecting a broader area than just the banding and was able to move the sleeve, but that corrupted the geometry for the banding itself. So far, I have been unable to figure out how to "lock" the banding to the body of the garment so that I can move them as a unit.

edited April 2014

Update:

I think I have validated and applied, saved the file, and have selected the garment. I'm trying to send it back to DAZ, but nothing is happening... no dialog box or anything.

Edit: I managed to send the file back to DAZ, and DAZ loaded the top in a scene, but I was never prompted to spawn/name a morph. Also, on the garment that loaded, only one sleeve was altered even though I selected Symmetry/X. Perhaps the morph will apply to both sides if I can ever spawn it/name it? Is there a way to manually force a dialog box? Hex appears to be sending the garment to DAZ as an asymmetrical prop versus a morph. I did not add any geometry... just moved it around... so I'm stumped.

edited December 1969

Alright... about ready to throw in the towel and pursue an alternative that will both work, and allow me to retain my sanity.

I finally got DAZ to let me name a morph, and found the morph. But when I try to use it, depending on which direction I move the slider, one sleeve goes down, the other one up, and the ENTIRE GARMENT LEAVES THE MODEL'S BODY. What the hell?! What am I doing wrong?!

edited December 1969

masi3vee said:
    Alright... about ready to throw in the towel and pursue an alternative that will both work, and allow me to retain my sanity.

I finally got DAZ to let me name a morph, and found the morph. But when I try to use it, depending on which direction I move the slider, one sleeve goes down, the other one up, and the ENTIRE GARMENT LEAVES THE MODEL'S BODY. What the hell?! What am I doing wrong?!

sorry I've only just seen your posts when I got up this morning. I'm in Australia so there is some time difference unfortunately.
    Just read very quickly through your posts. First, if the dialog box doesn't pop up it means that you have added to the vertices or models. Give me some time to wake up properly and I'll see if I can put something together with some pictures.
    edited December 1969

Oh, no worries there... I don't expect you to be here snap-snap, you know. :p

The reason for the lack of a prompt was because, for some reason, my Hex always tries to open a new iteration of DS. So I had to make sure I had the scene loaded in DS because, if DS does not find an object of the same name in the scene as the one coming in from Hex, it will import it as a prop. So that issue is solved.

The current issue, though, is that I named the morph, found it in DS Parameters, and all that. But when I tried to use it, it raises one sleeve, lowers the other, and moves the clothing object off of the model.

Meantime, I did a quick and dirty with two deformers. It looks good for the time being, and saved me from throwing my computer onto the driveway.

I still would love to sort this, because i's driving me nuts, but don't spend too much time on it.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,949
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that tutorials link (http://www.geekatplay.com/hp1.php), just what i needed to get my first steps with Hexagon :)

edited December 1969

Pendraia, any more thoughts on why I might be having that strangeness in Hex? Was playing around a little more... still no luck.