Carrara Challenge VIII - "The Great Race" or "Don't Fence Me In" - WIP Thread is Open

168101112

Comments

  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,018
    edited December 1969

    laurenwbr said:
    Great looking grass! Silene... are you back? How do you feel?

    Like I've been stabbed in the back with a scalpel! It was a bit more complicated than expected, but I will be fine once it all heals. What a relief. Time is on my side, though, for real work. And I can finish my WIP, too!

    Thanks for asking.

    xx :) SileneUK

    My internet has been fairly sporadic yesterday and today, otherwise I would have been in sooner to find out how you;re doing.

    Glad everything went well for you and hopefully the pain will subside quickly.

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 9,785
    edited December 1969

    Some great WIPs over the last few days. Congrats to Kashyyk and Varsel for replicating the foliage. Looks great. And many thanks to Kashyyk for making your stalk available on sharecg. I made a cornfield for a prior challenge. It was harvest time, so I included little ears of corn and used hair to make the strands on the top of the ears. The hair looked good on an individual stalk but was probably a mistake in the replicated field because beyond the first row or two, it didn't add to visible detail. It might have been OK to just have the front row with the ears, then replicate the rest of the field without. I'll include a pic. I am rambling.

    If anyone wants to include a grassy field, but doesn't want to create it themselves, remember that this month's sponsor has a grass pack designed for replication. http://www.daz3d.com/replicator-grass-pack Even if you want to make it yourself, if you haven't done it before, you could check out the settings and modeling that mmoir used.

    cornstalk.JPG
    572 x 545 - 62K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,533
    edited December 1969

    diomede64 said:
    Some great WIPs over the last few days. Congrats to Kashyyk and Varsel for replicating the foliage. Looks great. And many thanks to Kashyyk for making your stalk available on sharecg. I made a cornfield for a prior challenge. It was harvest time, so I included little ears of corn and used hair to make the strands on the top of the ears. The hair looked good on an individual stalk but was probably a mistake in the replicated field because beyond the first row or two, it didn't add to visible detail. It might have been OK to just have the front row with the ears, then replicate the rest of the field without. I'll include a pic. I am rambling.

    If anyone wants to include a grassy field, but doesn't want to create it themselves, remember that this month's sponsor has a grass pack designed for replication. http://www.daz3d.com/replicator-grass-pack Even if you want to make it yourself, if you haven't done it before, you could check out the settings and modeling that mmoir used.

    No you are not rambling.... Thanks for the heads up on the grass replicator...just bought it along with Dart's BADLANDS which is now on sale!


    xx :) Silene

  • VarselVarsel Posts: 543
    edited December 1969

    Here's what I got so far.
    It uses 4 surface replicators. 2 for the grass, and one for the hedge and and for the broken branches.

    The hedge is made up of a Carrara plant, and then replicated onto the hedge-shape.
    I did convert the plant to a vertex object, so I could make a copy of it, and take one of the branches and use that as litter on the ground. These are replicated on the green part ....

    The base hedge-shape and the ground litter shape are then hidden, so they wont render.

    The flags are made by one softbody physic simulation. When the simulation had run through, I went trough the time-line and chose one that looked good, exported out as a .obj, then more time, next flag, and so on. From this one simulation I then had four different flags (.obj) witch I then imported back into Carrara.

    Little Toto is the Millennium Puppy with Carrara Hair.

    hedge02.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
    hedge01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 104K
    Doc2red.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 730K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited December 1969

    Damn I'm late to the party, and a theme I really like. Hmm, Do I have time to play, hopefully I have...

  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,533
    edited April 2014

    Varsel said:
    Here's what I got so far.
    It uses 4 surface replicators. 2 for the grass, and one for the hedge and and for the broken branches.

    The hedge is made up of a Carrara plant, and then replicated onto the hedge-shape.
    I did convert the plant to a vertex object, so I could make a copy of it, and take one of the branches and use that as litter on the ground. These are replicated on the green part ....

    The base hedge-shape and the ground litter shape are then hidden, so they wont render.

    The flags are made by one softbody physic simulation. When the simulation had run through, I went trough the time-line and chose one that looked good, exported out as a .obj, then more time, next flag, and so on. From this one simulation I then had four different flags (.obj) witch I then imported back into Carrara.

    Little Toto is the Millennium Puppy with Carrara Hair.

    I LOVE THIS!

    Right--- now you need to get your flags straight! Forget about trad jockey colours. Each owner has it's own jerseys, but flags seem to be your own interesting touch so if you want some fun with us over here in the British Isles + Ireland for the Grand National, go for country flags!. You already seem to have the Scottish one up there...going for independence are we???

    http://www.foreignstudents.com/student-news/english-vs-british-what-does-british-mean/8067

    Yes, Northern Ireland has it's own flag. I didn't know that.

    And to be truly authentic for horse racing though, you need the Republic of Ireland flag, so you need another jockey for a fifth flag. They breed and train amazing horses and jockeys.

    http://www.senojflags.com/Ireland-Flags

    Or Google for better ones for mapping

    Have I made more work for you Varsel? Hope so, You are so talented I need some way of hedging my bets (sorry about the pun).

    Please put the Welsh jockey OUT IN FRONT!! He's already on a red "horse". Make England a white one with a red stripe like their flag. Ignore PhilW or Stu Sutcliffe, St George can come in 2nd for England. My husband will make me shut down Carrara if Wales doesn't win. Can't have that! :down: (Chohole you understand, right?)

    You could change the doggie to a Corgi for the Queen.... did anyone over here see the Mike Tindall story about his horse 'The Dude' ? Could win!

    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/other-sport/crabbies-grand-national-2014-mike-6916317

    xx %-P Silene (Time for more codeine and pregabalin)

    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

    1. converting terrain to vertex object, flatten some polygons,
    make a shading domain from most of them for the road.

    not great, the edegs of the road look bad.

    2. using alpha, mostly tile pattern, for structres.

    works great.

    3. a lot of motion blur for the final render.

    takes way to much time.


    shlomi

    race1.png
    1024 x 768 - 941K
    race1wip2.png
    640 x 480 - 576K
    race1wip1.png
    640 x 480 - 442K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,018
    edited December 1969

    Hi Shlomi. What you could do for the road edges, instead of a shading domain, you could use the 3D paint tool (provided you have Carrara Pro) and paint a distribution shader along the road bed, then use that to define the road shader. No polygon lines that way.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 14,671
    edited December 1969

    Very cool, everyone... very cool!

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 9,785
    edited April 2014

    Just a reminder that there is still time to enter the challenge if you are sitting on the fence - or to render a second entry if you have already completed one. Although the entry thread opens on the 14th, the Work in Progress Thread will be open until April 21, at 9pm Mountain Time. That still gives people plenty of time.

    Also, I want to thank all the current participants for providing such excellent mutual support and encouragement, especially EP and Dart. You guys are fantastic. Keep it up.

    And to keep everyone inspired (except EP ;-) ), watch out for the "demon on wheels"! Actually, I am preparing this character for a different project, but it seemed to fit here.

    spped_2_for_the_love_of_ep_2.jpg
    840 x 630 - 23K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 344
    edited December 1969

    Back to this! I just stopped playing with Darts Badlands.

    I am now starting my final renders. (I hope)

  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,533
    edited December 1969

    kashyyyk said:
    Back to this! I just stopped playing with Darts Badlands.

    I know, it's becoming a real problem! (sounds like the MayDay service avert from Amazon Kindle Fire HD) !

    I need to get back to the project NOW!

    :) Silene

  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,018
    edited December 1969

    diomede64 said:
    Just a reminder that there is still time to enter the challenge if you are sitting on the fence - or to render a second entry if you have already completed one. Although the entry thread opens on the 14th, the Work in Progress Thread will be open until April 21, at 9pm Mountain Time. That still gives people plenty of time.

    Also, I want to thank all the current participants for providing such excellent mutual support and encouragement, especially EP and Dart. You guys are fantastic. Keep it up.

    And to keep everyone inspired (except EP ;-) ), watch out for the "demon on wheels"! Actually, I am preparing this character for a different project, but it seemed to fit here.

    Great likeness! Now let's see what you do with Jessica Rabbit. ;-)

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 9,785
    edited December 1969

    diomede64 said:
    Just a reminder that there is still time to enter the challenge if you are sitting on the fence - or to render a second entry if you have already completed one. Although the entry thread opens on the 14th, the Work in Progress Thread will be open until April 21, at 9pm Mountain Time. That still gives people plenty of time.

    Also, I want to thank all the current participants for providing such excellent mutual support and encouragement, especially EP and Dart. You guys are fantastic. Keep it up.

    And to keep everyone inspired (except EP ;-) ), watch out for the "demon on wheels"! Actually, I am preparing this character for a different project, but it seemed to fit here.

    Great likeness! Now let's see what you do with Jessica Rabbit. ;-)

    Only for EP will I take requests. You earned it, buddy. This is nothing compared to what I've seen folks here do. And, of course, Bobbie25 has a Jessica product in the Daz store that makes this lass look like a skank. But here is an attempt to do a makeover for my orchard worker. No Daz dollies. Everything is original Carrara modeling, hair growth, and 3D painting -straight out of the box. Completed during one baseball game.

    EP, start your engines!

    Jessica_checkered_flag.jpg
    640 x 480 - 17K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 543
    edited December 1969

    Oh dear, I might just have stepped on a landmine...... :zip:

    The flags and colours where just "happy" accidents.... :red:

    So we go for
    the Army, in green
    the Navy, in blue
    the Air Force, in red
    and the Civil Defence, in orange

    And there are many laps to go yet, so all bets are still in.

    And off course, the event is being broadcast, so we need cameras....

    newflags.jpg
    800 x 600 - 189K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited December 1969

    So, first WIP (just terrains). The Terrain generated using GeoControl2 and shaded in Carrara using Dartenbanks Wasteland shader.

    terrain-wip-01.jpg
    1200 x 688 - 92K
  • StezzaKararaStezzaKarara Posts: 4,898
    edited April 2014

    Varsel said:
    Oh dear, I might just have stepped on a landmine...... :zip:

    The flags and colours where just "happy" accidents.... :red:

    So we go for
    the Army, in green
    the Navy, in blue
    the Air Force, in red
    and the Civil Defence, in orange

    And there are many laps to go yet, so all bets are still in.

    And off course, the event is being broadcast, so we need cameras....

    that's a great looking camera...

    This is the height map I created in Bryce and then imported into Carrara..

    The Fence posts were modelled with primitives then with magnets I pushed and squished to get an old looking post..

    for the wire I used a stretched primitive with a bend modifier then replicated..

    WIPDont_fence_me_in.jpg
    800 x 600 - 234K
    height_map.jpg
    771 x 769 - 34K
    Post edited by StezzaKarara on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,018
    edited December 1969

    diomede64 said:
    diomede64 said:
    Just a reminder that there is still time to enter the challenge if you are sitting on the fence - or to render a second entry if you have already completed one. Although the entry thread opens on the 14th, the Work in Progress Thread will be open until April 21, at 9pm Mountain Time. That still gives people plenty of time.

    Also, I want to thank all the current participants for providing such excellent mutual support and encouragement, especially EP and Dart. You guys are fantastic. Keep it up.

    And to keep everyone inspired (except EP ;-) ), watch out for the "demon on wheels"! Actually, I am preparing this character for a different project, but it seemed to fit here.

    Great likeness! Now let's see what you do with Jessica Rabbit. ;-)

    Only for EP will I take requests. You earned it, buddy. This is nothing compared to what I've seen folks here do. And, of course, Bobbie25 has a Jessica product in the Daz store that makes this lass look like a skank. But here is an attempt to do a makeover for my orchard worker. No Daz dollies. Everything is original Carrara modeling, hair growth, and 3D painting -straight out of the box. Completed during one baseball game.

    EP, start your engines!

    Now that puts a vavavoom in the race! Great job!

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 14,671
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    So, first WIP (just terrains). The Terrain generated using GeoControl2 and shaded in Carrara using Dartenbanks Wasteland shader.

    Looks really cool. I like that water! Are there some fairly shallow parts in there? I like the rippling effects.
  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    So, first WIP (just terrains). The Terrain generated using GeoControl2 and shaded in Carrara using Dartenbanks Wasteland shader.

    Looks really cool. I like that water! Are there some fairly shallow parts in there? I like the rippling effects.
    Thanks es, the ground is not completely flat. Now to something more difficult, make some modifications, but I have an idea, gonna make my entry "Totte style", the RRRR folks know what that means ;-)
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,533
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    So, first WIP (just terrains). The Terrain generated using GeoControl2 and shaded in Carrara using Dartenbanks Wasteland shader.

    Hiya TOTTE Where do you get GeoControl2? Love the cliffs! Cheers, xx :) SileneUK

    Oh dear, I might just have stepped on a landmine...... :zip:

    The flags and colours where just "happy" accidents.... :red:

    So we go for
    the Army, in green
    the Navy, in blue
    the Air Force, in red
    and the Civil Defence, in orange

    And there are many laps to go yet, so all bets are still in.

    And off course, the event is being broadcast, so we need cameras....

    VARSEL, Even better. The Grand National had some funny moments, one horse refused to start, another riderless one, which had dumped its jockey, was running very fast and crossed in front of the leader of the moment and ran him off course into the fence which didn't hurt anyone.. It's much more humane. I have only started watching it again this year since they lowered the hedges.

    Anyways.... Go USAF!! My dad was a lifer, bless him... retired as Lt Col. Miss him still.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Best get back to my own scene now..enough faffing around. I still blame the meds for that.

    xx :-) SileneUK

  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited April 2014

    laurenwbr said:
    Totte said:
    So, first WIP (just terrains). The Terrain generated using GeoControl2 and shaded in Carrara using Dartenbanks Wasteland shader.

    Hiya TOTTE Where do you get GeoControl2? Love the cliffs! Cheers, xx :) SileneUK

    I bought it through Cornu for Vue a while back. The Mac OS X version is somewhat (major understatment) laggy for some reason after an update that fixed a crash), but I love it.

    You can but it here: http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm

    Post edited by Totte on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited December 1969

    Yah - I started to assemble my contesters for my The Great Race entry, and Carrara gave me the universal symbol for "non-peace and non-understanding" in the shape of a raised finger when I wanted to add a swimsuit to GF2 ;-)

    nullptr.jpg
    831 x 540 - 54K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,533
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    laurenwbr said:
    Totte said:
    So, first WIP (just terrains). The Terrain generated using GeoControl2 and shaded in Carrara using Dartenbanks Wasteland shader.

    Hiya TOTTE Where do you get GeoControl2? Love the cliffs! Cheers, xx :) SileneUK


    I bought it through Cornu for Vue a while back. The Mac OS X version is somewhat (major understatment) laggy for some reason after an update that fixed a crash), but I love it.

    You can but it here: http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm

    Thank you, Totte....will have a more indepth look at the features. The 59 Euro priced one looks good enough for my level of competence. I can always upgrade it seems. Appreciate the recommendation! I love the Carrara terrains that come with the software and the artists who give us more, but I want to get better with doing my own and the generator in Carrara is a bit fiddly for me. I don't like the map editor at all! I hope Geo might be more straightforward.

    Cheers xx :) SileneUK

  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited December 1969

    First "self-made" object for the scene, to make the race a little more exciting...

    mine-wip.jpg
    1200 x 1198 - 60K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 14,671
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    Yah - I started to assemble my contesters for my The Great Race entry, and Carrara gave me the universal symbol for "non-peace and non-understanding" in the shape of a raised finger when I wanted to add a swimsuit to GF2 ;-)

    LOL!!! You certainly have a way with words, my friend! LOL!!!
    I know the feeling! :ahhh:
    First "self-made" object for the scene, to make the race a little more exciting...

    Ouch! But only for a second!
  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    Yah - I started to assemble my contesters for my The Great Race entry, and Carrara gave me the universal symbol for "non-peace and non-understanding" in the shape of a raised finger when I wanted to add a swimsuit to GF2 ;-)

    LOL!!! You certainly have a way with words, my friend! LOL!!!

    Thanks, I try my best.


    I know the feeling! :ahhh:
    First "self-made" object for the scene, to make the race a little more exciting...

    Ouch! But only for a second!

    Depends on how well you navigate ;)

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 9,785
    edited December 1969

    Two more fantastic entries by Schlomi and Totte. Speaking of which, the contest that Totte mentioned (RRR), might be an interesting cross -listing. As long as it doesn't prevent an entry in this contest (:coolsmirk:), check it out here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/39430/

    I just streamed Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World on Amazon. I just can't decide what I like best. Too many irons in my fire. Here is a start on Jonathan Winters. But, with Cid Caesar and Mickey Rooney just passing away,... Maybe I should do a collage.

    pikes_movers.jpg
    640 x 480 - 34K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited April 2014

    Thx diomede64 ;-)

    And here is the second constructed item, the boy that marks the track.

    Now time to assemble as scene ;-)

    wip-mark.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 10,679
    edited December 1969

    Scene wip - all items in place more or less.

    great_race_wip1.jpg
    1200 x 651 - 122K
Sign In or Register to comment.