Folder gets found but the content does not - DAZ Studio 4.6

WhiteWineWhiteWine Posts: 22
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi Folks,

I just discovered a new problem for me in DAZ Studio 4.6.
I downloaded and installed new content with the DAZ Install Manager but I can't find the files insided the folder.
I already scanned new directories for new files and refreshed the directory but no files pop up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Greetings,

Lee

Comments

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609
    edited December 1969

I've also had this problem, mostly with models I've downloaded from non-Daz sites. So I'm just trying to "install" the models by finding the appropriate folder by hand and not using the daz installer. I put .obj files for a building into a folder that has other .obj files of other buildings I have used in the past, but when I go into Daz, I can find the folder, but not the files within. Puzzling.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 2013

I just installed it via DIM and the metadata did load for me. I'd suggest re-importing the metadata from the Content DB Maintenance menu. That has worked for me in situations like this where the metadata failed to load.

ScreenShot004.jpg
    640 x 752 - 107K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    I put .obj files for a building into a folder that has other .obj files of other buildings I have used in the past, but when I go into Daz, I can find the folder, but not the files within.

Yes, that's right. The .obj files are not supposed to show up in the same way as D|S or Poser files — also, you can't put these files just anywhere, they're supposed to be in a folder inside the /Runtime/Geometries/ folder, where are you putting them?

It also matters how you're looking for the folders, is it in the Content Library tab, or Smart Content, or a category view? None of these work for an .obj file, they don't get loaded as content, they get imported (File menu>Import). So exactly what are you doing between "go into DAZ" and "find empty folder"?

edited December 1969

I'm looking for the items in the Content Library in both the Daz folder structure and the Poser folder structure. I haven't used the import command before and tried that and it worked like a charm. It's great, but also confuses me even more on managing content. Thanks for the help.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

If you Install with DAZ Studio OPEN you must REFRESH before new content will show. Tip: Installing with DAZ Studio open CAN cause Database errors that will cause the CMS and Smart content to FAIL. For best use never install content with DAZ Studio open at install time.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

If you are looking in Products under the Content Library tab you are actually still using stupid Smart Content.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    If you are looking in Products under the Content Library tab you are actually still using stupid Smart Content.

You're using the CMS database, not Smart Content.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Smart Content uses CMS database also so what I wrote is simplified but still technically true. The point is if you are using the Content Library tab instead of the Smart Content tab because you have read that Content shows real library folders and file, than don't look in Products or Categories, look in DAZ Studio Formats or Poser Formats.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

I've had this happen - I don't know why - but using the content manager to uninstall and reinstall the product seems to cure it when it occurs.

edited December 1969

I'll take this opportunity to rant again on the biggest drawback of DAZ....installing content. If the brain trust of DAZ really wants to make its program easier to use, then it will make installation as simple as loading an App on an iphone. The variety of files involved should be invisible to the user...all that should be back of house. I should not have both a Daz and a Poser library. I should not find some environments in "environments" and others in "runtime" (what's a runtime?) and still others in "geometry." We need a consistent vocabulary and file structure. There should be no smart content and other content...just content. That may mean requiring some models created for Poser to be re-created for Daz. There, rant finished. Thanks for your patience.

edited December 2013

dkutzera said:
    others in "runtime" (what's a runtime?) and still others in "geometry."

Something not right there — are you seeing those exact folder names in one of the content folders? You shouldn't, those folders are invisible to us users and are only used to store Poser-format files. When this happens it's usually a sign that you have content folders installed inside content folders, which is Not Good™ and frequently causes major problems. Usually easily fixed, though, especially if you spot the glitch before something nasty happens. Are you having other problems with content you're sure you installed not showing up?
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • WhiteWineWhiteWine Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Thank you folks! Reloading the database helped me to find the the content at least someplace else. Even though it would have made sense to find the content in the A-Z product folder tree.
    :-)

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

HI,

Was there ever a solution for this? I have just installed a product and, even though I can see the files in the folder outside of DS (i.e. with the Mac Finder) the Content only shows the folders - the files that should be in the folders are missing.

I don't use any content installer - I always install manually - have not seen this problem before. Here are the screen shots:

Screen_Shot_2014-04-03_at_16.51_.02_.png
    437 x 222 - 25K
    Screen_Shot_2014-04-03_at_16.50_.16_.png
    404 x 366 - 18K
    edited April 2014

Update on my last post - I uninstalled and re-installed the product files. That didn't help. I reset the content database - that didn't help. So I tried moving the folder out of the normal Pose library under Runtime and into a folder called People in the main DAZ Studio library base level directory. Moving it there made it visible in the Content tab. A copy is still in the Pose library but the files are still invisible there.

Correction: even more confusing... the folder named !Basics shows its content in the Pose library but not in the folder outside of the runtime. The other folders (Eyes, Lashes, etc.) show their content in the folder outside of the runtime but not in the Pose library.

Go figure.

Wasted a couple of hours on this already.

Post edited by marble on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,822
    edited December 1969

if there aren't Poser files then the items won't show in the Poser format folder, but if they are exclusively Poser library files they won't show in the DAZ Studio format folders. It looks as if the product was not set up so as to install without adjustment.

edited December 1969

Just so I understand correctly, because I've installed tons of content and never noticed this before (maybe some vendors are more accurate about which folders they use)...

.pz2 files will only show in the Poser runtime Pose library?
    .duf files will only show outside of the Runtime sub-folders?

Is that right?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,822
    edited December 1969

Yes, though the duf files will be seen (and used in DS) if there's an identically named Poser file in the Poser library folder - you will thens ee a little scroll icon at top-left of the thumbnail in DS. But on their own, yes that's right.

edited December 1969

It also helps in spotting this kind of problem if you look again at the Content Library screenshot you posted; the little folder icons are all plain, which means this is a view of Poser content. If this was a view of D|S native content, the folder icons would have a little stylised "S" on them. Both Poser and D|S content can be seen in the Content Library tab, but the important thing is whether you're looking at "Poser Formats" or "DAZ Studio Formats". A quick check of this makes it clear the "3DA_Agatha" folder is D|S content (with no Poser companion files), so it shouldn't be in the Runtime Libraries folder structure.

Although... something odd if you can't see the contents of the "!Basics" folder. What should be in it, is there anything apart from .duf and .png files?

edited December 1969

It also helps in spotting this kind of problem if you look again at the Content Library screenshot you posted; the little folder icons are all plain, which means this is a view of Poser content. If this was a view of D|S native content, the folder icons would have a little stylised "S" on them. Both Poser and D|S content can be seen in the Content Library tab, but the important thing is whether you're looking at "Poser Formats" or "DAZ Studio Formats". A quick check of this makes it clear the "3DA_Agatha" folder is D|S content (with no Poser companion files), so it shouldn't be in the Runtime Libraries folder structure.

Although... something odd if you can't see the contents of the "!Basics" folder. What should be in it, is there anything apart from .duf and .png files?

I think Richard explained it well. The !Basics folder contains .pz2 and .png files while the other folders (at least in the DAZ Studio installation zip) contain .duf and .png files. No matter where I put the folders, no icons show the little "S" scroll but I think, if Richard is correct, both Poser and DAZ formats are required in the same folder for that to happen.

But, having just re-read what you wrote, I think you mean the "S" on the folder itself in the Content tab, right? You would think so and that does happen when I move those folders outside of the runtime. But, as you can see from that screenshot, the folders (which I originally put in the runtime) do contain .duf files (DAZ format) but the folders don't have an "S" overlaid.

In the Poser install .zip there are no .duf (they are all .pz2) and they obviously go in the runtime. The problem occurred because the vendor packaged the zip in a way that indicated the .duf files should also go in the runtime whereas they should be placed outside of the runtime.