NEW USER Contest March 2014 “Entry Thread”

TotteTotte Posts: 13,508

Sponsored by DAZ 3D and RawArt

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DOF - Depth Of Field

This month’s contest is about DOF, Depth Of Field, or how to put something in focus while keeping distracting elements out of focus.

Objective: Render an image using depth of field to focus on a particular item.

It should not be a portrait with focus on the eyes and blurry backgrounds though, way too easy and too common. Think more like a photographer working for National Geographic's, who focus a bird on a branch in the middle of the forest, or a news photographer focusing one person in a crowd.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3440/

Here are some sources of information that may be helpful:

DAZ Forum Threads
From a previous DOF contest:http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/

Other sources:
At DeviantArt: http://thyranq.deviantart.com/art/DAZ-Studio-Camera-Tutorial-256687214

Prizes:
This month's contest is being sponsored by RawArt. First, Second and Third Place winners each receive 1 item from his store.

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP Thread People will be popping in to the WIP Thread to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way. Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP Thread as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP Thread. This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Closing Date: March 31st 2014

Post edited by Jaderail on

Comments

• krakensurfkrakensurf Posts: 26
    edited March 2014

:-)

Post edited by krakensurf on
  • fgtimmfgtimm Posts: 1
    edited March 2014

I'll give it a try...

This one is my 4th picture I've done so far and it is called "Ambush".

Posing: Daz3D 4.6
    Scene: Vue Studio 2014
    Postwork: PaintShopPro X6

Ambush_small.jpg
    800 x 450 - 67K
    Post edited by fgtimm on
  • Paul GPaul G Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hi folks,

here is my render for the March contest DOF. I am new in the 3D World since November 2013. DOF is one thing I tried to realize at a very early stage in my renders. It gives a nice realistic touch for me.

Both renders are done in DAZ 4.6 Pro with just a littlebit of postwork in The GIMP. Using Victoria 6 (Norma) with Displacement Map, a Michael 5 character and quite some other characters. The Central Station backgound was a favorite product before I began working with it. It looked quite flat, so I added some Displacement and Normal Maps by myself. Unfortunately the additional parts of the central station did not show up at the DAZ Shop as promoted. Too bad. Central station really is a very nice place and it could give a much larger background to some renders.

The first of the both pictures gives You a little more overview about the scene.There is some DOF, but not too much. However, the focus is on Norma and Michael and You will notice a girl looking at them.

The second picture with Norma close is my favourite entry for this month. The sharpness in the picture is just on Normas face.

Hope You like it.

Cheers
    Paul G.

NormaAtStationDOF.jpg
    800 x 600 - 217K
    NormaAtStationDOF-Overview.jpg
    800 x 600 - 216K
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Decided it was time to put this tiger in the entry thread :)

Tiger of Jade

tigerofjade.jpg
    800 x 800 - 114K
  • IGDIGD Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

Hi All,

I have been around awhile and quietly practicing. I have been working on a private project that has helped me developed some measure of skill. I've enjoyed watching some of the contests and am always interested in seeing the winners. I can't say I'm a forum junkie but I like to look in.

Here's mine for the DOF. I was always afraid of it. I tried this one out and found I enjoyed using it. I'll have to practice more on other subjects but I am pleased with this outcome.

The focal point is the Jaguar which is focusing on something out of view. The DOF is emphasized by the degrees of vegetation from the foreground to the subject. The constrictor on the log is unseen by the distracted jaguar and part of the DOF obscurity.

Final design - "Unexpected"

[edit: there is no postwork in this image] I wanted to use AM's hair but I found the effect did not work as I would like with this subject.

Unexpected_-_Jaguar_Mar_22,_2014_2.jpg
    800 x 560 - 237K
    Post edited by IGD on
    edited March 2014

"My Log"

[edit: minor postwork - slight filtering in Picasa]

My_Log_-_Jaguar_Mar_22,_2014_2.jpg
    560 x 800 - 313K
    Post edited by IGD on
    edited December 1969

My entries are made using daz3d.

• spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

My entry " Pagan Ritual"

Done in DAZ3D 4.6

Pagan_Ritual_Final_Render.jpg
    868 x 772 - 307K
    edited December 1969

My second entry :)

Summer Fae

The fae walks the forest, smiling at the new life that grows after the harsh Winter and the Spring that took too long to arrive

summerfaesmall.jpg
    615 x 800 - 137K
  • bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Chess Game One

DS4.6 - Octane Render

Chess1.jpg
    800 x 559 - 287K
    edited December 1969

Chess Game 2

DS4.6 - Octane Render

chess2.jpg
    565 x 800 - 245K
  • MIBAMIBA Posts: 56
    edited March 2014

My first contribution to a cg contest ever.
    I''ve been playing around with DAZ Studio and Poser over the years. But only now i discovered how much fun it is to develop an image from the first idea to the final render.

Title: "Horses? There are no horses on this farm!" - Strange title//idea? Maybe. ;-)

Posing: DAZ Studio Pro 4.6
    Rendering: Reality/LuxRender
    (little) Postwork: GIMP

Thank you for watching
    MIBA

figur-002-005-postwork-001.jpg
    800 x 533 - 116K
    Post edited by MIBA on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited March 2014

Title: Windchime
    Program: DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro

No postwork.

DOF_Windchime_50.jpg
    800 x 800 - 429K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • SirustalcelionSirustalcelion Posts: 25
    edited March 2014

Hello, here is my submission for this month.

"Dragon's Prey"
    Software: Posed in Daz 4.6, Rendering and compositing in Blender 2.70
    (Edit-correct file format to align with contest rules)

babydragon3small.jpg
    800 x 450 - 453K
    Post edited by Sirustalcelion on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

My submission for the contest

Serengeti Evening

NUDOFcontest.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 674K
  • StargazeyStargazey Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

"As one who down a lonesome road - take 2"
    DS4.6 (little bit of post in PS)

As_One_Who_Down_A_Lonesome_Road_-_Take_2_.jpg
    615 x 800 - 134K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Everybody make sure you title your image. We'd hate to have to disqualify an image because of it.

edited December 1969

Contest is now closed. Luck luck

edited April 2014

Winner's are:

1st - Tiger of Jade by Carola O
    2nd - Chess Game One by bobfisher
    HM - Unexpected by igd

Congratulations to everyone.

Will the winners please contact me by PM and give me a link to the products from RawArt's store (excluding bundles) you would like and your email address associated with your DAZ account so the prizes can be added to your account.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Congrats to Carola!

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited April 2014

Congratulations Carola, bobfisher and igd. Well done.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

Cograts Carola. A truly beautiful render.

edited December 1969

Thank you *happy smiling* And big grats to the other winners and all that participated !

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Great work everyone...outstanding set of entries this month. And congratulations to Carola O, bobfisher, and igd!

edited December 1969

igd said:
    Congrats to Carola!

Can you please send me a PM with your email address attached to your DAZ account and a link to the product from RawArt store so I can get the prizes added to your account

edited December 1969

sent it off again :)

edited December 1969

The message was to our HM winner, igd