A Shadowy Proposition

niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

So I like to tinker and experiment with things that can be done in Studio :P

Earlier today I was uninspired, board or maybe just feeling lazy, but I had a thought. :wow: :exclaim:

"can something that is not there render a shadow?" My first thought was no, but then, why not?

I started thinking and had an idea. So when I got home from work I set up a simple scene in Studio and tried my idea, and guess what, it worked. :bug:

It was to easy I thought, so I created a scene inspired by a magicians act. The result is the first render below.

In the second image I decided to have a little fun ala Peter Pan.

These are 100 % rendered in Studio using 3Delight with NO postwork.

Now I'm sure some of the veteran Studio gurus can figure out exactly how I did this in a heart beat, so I put it to all of you to see if you know what I did to get this effect.

Post your solutions, include a render if you like, start a discussion amongst yourselves, after all this is the Discussion forum. I would really be interested in how you would achieve this effect or if you can figure out how I did it.

I'll tell all sometime this weekend. Until then let's see what you've got. :coolsmirk:

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

to easy

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited July 2012

I wont give it away but we have been able to do this for quite a while (I did this image in 2007 created in DS no post work)

Little-girl.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 81K
    Post edited by NeilV_1 on
  • niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Oooh... I really like this image NeilV... yea I knew that those who have been doing this for far longer than I would know how right away...

For me half the fun is in finding and figuring out how to do these sorts of things. This started with a thought and I worked it out... if I had seen your image, I would have sat myself down and toyed around until I got it.

My hope is to maybe inspire a few others who haven't learned this simple trick to also play around and have some fun with it.

Thanks for sharing... :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I, of course, don't use DS, but have done similar things in Bryce.

Another thing I also like playing around with is reflections of things that aren't there, can do some real spooky effects with them as well.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

One of the more interesting things you can do in DS is negative lighting. Double click on a light's "Intensity" setting and remove the Use Limits checkbox, set the light to a negative intensity and see what happens. :)

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

niccipb said:
    Oooh... I really like this image NeilV... yea I knew that those who have been doing this for far longer than I would know how right away...

For me half the fun is in finding and figuring out how to do these sorts of things. This started with a thought and I worked it out... if I had seen your image, I would have sat myself down and toyed around until I got it.

My hope is to maybe inspire a few others who haven't learned this simple trick to also play around and have some fun with it.

Thanks for sharing... :)

yep its lots of fun to play around with these things yourself and see what you are able to came up with.

• Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

There was a thread on the old forum on how to make a shader that don't generate a shadow and/or reflection. You could use the same setup to turn of visibility but keep the shadow too.
    The cylinder is one object with two materials.

ShadowA.jpg
    400 x 400 - 49K
    Post edited by Oom Fooyat on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Well, how did you do it? Fantom on Ubersurface?

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Would you provide your secrets, I'm really curious.