OT: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter?

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
edited December 1969 in The Commons

are you serious?

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately.

Next we'll have George Washington be a half werewolf and Betsy Ross a witch from a secret coven that survived the Salem Witch Trials.

Little did we know about Thomas Jefferson, he was a creation of Frankenstein's colonial ancestor.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've always suspected Lincoln was handy with an axe.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited December 1969

yeah, Googling I have already seen the jokes on the sort of hunter Bill Clinton is!

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The real fun part is with today's educational system in the US a lot of youngsters will think it's true.

But I will put this up there as proof Hollywood has run out of ideas and is willing to put anything out there they think could make a profit. Just look at the remakes of movies that aren't that old, or remaking movies that weren't that good in the first place. Like turning Sherlock Holmes in to an action adventure star. Sorry but I have been a fan since I was a kid, and he certainly wasn't an action adventure hero, Watson; the old army Doc, carried the gun and did most of the fighting; if there was any.

But for me, one of the best movies I have seen in a long time was a low budget independent film called "Ink". Yes, I cried.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Perhaps more boggling than the movie is the fact that the book debuted at #4 on the best sellers list when it came out in 2010.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I do weep for this country from time to time. The education system, the health system, the debt...it is sad to see something so great suffer such a slow, stupid death...

As Canadian poet/songwriter Leonard Cohen puts it in his song Democracy:
    "I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean.
    I love the country, but I can't stand the scene.
    And I'm neither left nor right, I'm just staying home tonight
    Getting lost in that hopeless little screen."

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

I would love to know how they came up with this idea for a movie. There is the vampire hunter one and a zombie one.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited July 2012

It was not movie idea, it was a successful novel by the same author of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", another bestseller. They just turned it into a film.

And you are VERY late to the party. The film came out weeks ago and the book came out over a year ago. I'd also like to point out that today's educational system is indeed lacking, but most kids are NOT stupid. I think the problem is that today's educational system doesn't treat them as being smart. I don't think kids will actual think the story is true, however, it might indeed be the only way they ever learn anything about Abraham Lincoln, which is really sad.

Post edited by TheWheelMan on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I understand where you are coming from with that remark.

I was surprised when, some years ago, talking to a RL Texan friend he said that I actually knew more about certain aspects of American history than he did. The period he was taling about was the American civil war era. I have had someone since remark on the forum that I knew more about it than he was ever taught. I am British, born and bred, never lived anywhere else, and yet I know more about this period in American history than is taught to Americans. This is so wrong.

Yes you may be proud of the American war of Independance, and celebrate it. Although you may not be so proud of what happened between 1861 and 1865, it is part of your heritage and children should be taught it, and thus be able to learn from it.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

I think this YouTube video by Freddie Wong sums it up nicely:

" 8-Bitham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter "
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6OSbq3Is0)

edited December 1969

Pretty nice game, and it's completely retro-style. Music fits as well.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Sarsifus said:
    I think this YouTube video by Freddie Wong sums it up nicely:

" 8-Bitham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter "
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6OSbq3Is0)

I still prefer Castlevania... :)
  • GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

It was not movie idea, it was a successful novel by the same author of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", another bestseller. They just turned it into a film. . . .

I don't think kids will actual think the story is true, however, it might indeed be the only way they ever learn anything about Abraham Lincoln, which is really sad.

To elaborate some more on what you said,

Some of the purist are really upset with what the author did to the classic Pride and Prejudice.
    Some critics claim the author has no talent and all he did was a "mash up".

BUT there are many people now seeking out the original Pride and Prejudice AFTER reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Not because they didn't like it, just the opposite. They enjoyed the book and are now curious about the original. These people would have never sought out the Jane Austen classic if not for the zombie book.

So who knows . . . maybe after seeing Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, it may generate interest in Lincoln so that people will try to learn more about the real Lincoln.

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I'm kind of divided by this movie. Yes, I saw the release of the book in 2010 and scoffed at it, but slowing down and thinking about it...

yeah, still scoffed at the movie.

Why pick an American President as a vampire hunter? Because his name is known? Because it will sell books/tickets and eventually dvd's? I don't know.

I do tend to prefer action flicks these days, and will probably check it out once it's available as a rental, but at the moment, it's not high on my to-see list.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

I found a movie called Abraham Lincoln vs zombies. I did not watch it though I saw the trailer

edited July 2012

This one, Miss ?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tFaQYSFLuE

OMG! They've made Jack and the Beanstalk into a whole length movie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPBFv8HJ_bo

:gulp:

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

Yes that one. I thought zombie was a modern word or a modern usage of an old word. But I could be wrong.

• nekollxnekollx Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Actually Zombie Hunter is a bit more faithful, Lincoln suffers a tragedy that scars him, tries to put it behind him until a zombie breakout, recruits a team, who all thinks he's note and that the zombies are just sick while he's going on his killing spree