morph targets

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I can ofcourse just try it but am asking because others may be more experienced in studio.
in Carrara I can save an obj of a figure etc in more than one pose and use it as a morph target for another obj but I can only do this once, I have done it to create morph targets for hair etc that I attach to the skeleton and weightpaint.
however you can only use the same vertices once for each target.
and I can only do it with objects not rigged figures
I was wondering if studio (or for that matter Poser) have the same limitations as I know people do add multiple morphs to clothing and figures.
Genesis indeed and other figures have multiple morphs!
the reason I have not tried it thus far is I can never even get one morph target to work by exporting an obj, moving vertices and loading it as a morph target in studio!
it ALWAYS tells me the vertex order has changed!
can do it by sending to Hexagon most of the time (I find Hex too hard to work in, prefer Carrara) but exporting and reimporting from other programs breaks the mesh somehow so it is different to the original, I turn smoothing off on Genesis for example.
others do it in Zbrush and facegen does it etc so I must do something wrong, Carrara is my program of choice and I only move vertices using soft select, not add or remove.
I am wondering if Carrara alters the mesh on export!
but it works IN Carrara but not back to studio!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
    edited December 1969

well I DID answer my first question!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzOlDvlYVM
    yes you can apply multiple morph targets to one object, just did with this iClone figure I tried to animate with morphs!
    but something goes wrong when I use Genesis etc and Carrara must do it
    (the above 10 objs were all Carrara exports imported as an animated fbx from iClone 3dx5pipeline but so was the original)
    as like I said facegen works using a Genesis obj.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

well I DID answer my first question!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzOlDvlYVM
    yes you can apply multiple morph targets to one object, just did with this iClone figure I tried to animate with morphs!
    but something goes wrong when I use Genesis etc and Carrara must do it
    (the above 10 objs were all Carrara exports imported as an animated fbx from iClone 3dx5pipeline but so was the original)
    as like I said facegen works using a Genesis obj.

Hey Wendy,

You can create multiple morph targets to use in DS. I have created single morphs in hex and zbrush. Sometimes they don't work but it's generally because I've done something stupid to the model. For example changing the vertex count.

Can't help with Carrara as I don't use it...

Sorry

Pen

• Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Probably a problem with the export settings or in worst case, lack of export settings. I had the same issue in blender. Once al the options were set up correctly it worked without any problem.

Oom

Post edited by Oom Fooyat on
  • edited December 1969

Also, make sure your import name is different from other morphs, otherwise DS will reject it.

On that note I had a similar question. In DS4.5 is it possible to make morphs for a shaped character and reverse it ? I.E. modeling clothes to a shaped character .....