I would appreciate some advice before I install DazStudio 3

skiwillgeeskiwillgee Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have DazStudio 3 64 bit version 3.1.2.19

I had it installed on a 4 core, Win 7 64bit machine but I will be putting it on a 4 core Win XP Pro 64 bit machine this time. It was being really buggy so I uninstalled the program and all content. I could not get it to export .obj. The program would freeze somewhere between 35%-50%.
The XP machine is faster, more ram and stable as a rock.

An example: Faveral's Medussa will export fine but if I add the sails it freezes on export every time. Maybe I'm missing a step. Anyway I am moving things to a second machine that I built for graphics only.

Before I start the process all over and dig out all those disk from Daz with programs and content, could you tell me which path I should take?

The question: I don't use Studio much except to load content and send it to Bryce. I have never built and rendered scenes for DS rendering. Is upgrading to a newer version worth the effort and money? If you recommend upgrading, is my older content compatible? What is the best way to load the old content that has old installers that don't let you chose a file location?

I know that is a lot but thank you for your help

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited July 2012

The current version of DS4 Pro is free. Yes your old content will work in it. All you need to do is point the library to the folder that contains your content.

DS4 Pro http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz-studio-4-pro/

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You could pop over to the Bryce forum and have a chat with some of the people over there who use the DS bridge.

In fact, if you like, we can move your thread over to that forum.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

What is the best way to load the old content that has old installers that don't let you chose a file location?

The ones that proclaim they're searching? Just kill the pop-up that claims it is searching and you should go straight to the file selection pop-up.