Attaching .obj's to faces...?

EternalWindsEternalWinds Posts: 42
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi,

Essentially, i'm trying to "attach" some long eyebrows in the form of a fairly simple hair .obj onto a face, but I don't know how to make them follow the eyebrows when posing. I've found a product in the shop that has what i'm looking for (http://www.daz3d.com/dark-elves-for-genesis), but i'd only considering buying that if there was no other option since I don't need anything else from it, and if I understand how to do it I can apply it again, in the future, to other things.

I created and imported an .obj, consisting of the two eyebrows as a single model positioned where they should be. The question now is how to "attach" them to the face in such a way that they can be posed with the eyebrows themselves; is that going to be possible, or should I make seperate morphs to pose them and just parent them to the head?

Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

If you use the Transfer utility to make them into a figure then they will inherit most morphs from the head anyway (though how acceptable those will be will vary). You will need to either turn AutoFollow on for at least some expression morphs (click the gear icon on the slider to get Parameter Setting) as they are usually set not to transfer, so they don't break clothing items, but it should give you at least a starting point.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You will need to either turn AutoFollow on for at least some expression morphs (click the gear icon on the slider to get Parameter Setting) as they are usually set not to transfer, so they don't break clothing items, but it should give you at least a starting point.

You can spend quite a bit of time on that step, playing with each one, indivdually, but it is worth the effort.

• EternalWindsEternalWinds Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

If you use the Transfer utility to make them into a figure then they will inherit most morphs from the head anyway (though how acceptable those will be will vary). You will need to either turn AutoFollow on for at least some expression morphs (click the gear icon on the slider to get Parameter Setting) as they are usually set not to transfer, so they don't break clothing items, but it should give you at least a starting point.

Thanks for the replies (both of you), but i'm not sure I understand. I've had a look at several screens and have found "Auto Follow" etc, but no amount of tinkering causes an expression or slider to move the seperate eyebrow .obj. I've used the Transfer Utility from Genesis2 to the .obj but it doesn't seem to do anything but parent the .obj so it moves around with the head; is there a way to tell an .obj to move with a specific face section?

What i'm aiming for are longer eyebrows on the model, which I could simulate by just morphing the eyebrow section of the head straight out , but I was hoping for a proper hair texture with transparency rather than a solid section with a texture on it, that moved as if it was just an extension on the eyebrows when I posed the face.

Should I just go the easier route with 3-4 shaping morphs that I apply to fit the expression?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

If you turn it into a figure with the Transfer utility it will be fitted, not just parented, to the wearer. It will then inherit any morphs that are set to Auto Follow on the base figure.