Create a character with a custom face from a photo

a.christie588a.christie588 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Good evening,
I am new to Carrara and I need some help to create a custom face.
I found a tutorial tghat I have been trying to follow but I got stuck when it came to resize the photo to fill the head.

http://thinkdrawart.com/carrara-7-head-modeling-for-beginners

The size won't change and I can't align it with the 3d head.

Moreover, I would like to know if this method will allow me to produce a 3d head that will look like the picture or if I am just deaydreaming.

Thank you in advance for your support and answers.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969
  • a.christie588a.christie588 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for answering.
    That looks interesting. But will the character be rigged to be animated (I use Iclone to make my characters speak)?

edited December 1969

Why not ?
    They use some usual characters: V4, M4, Genesis...

edited December 1969

Ok then. I will give it a try. Thank you for the tip :-)
    As for the tuto I was mentionning in my first message, do you think it could work too?

edited December 1969

Afflicted, but I never used it but I saw surprising results!
    I am sure that somebody will be able to inform you (when he's awaked, hello Dart ?…).

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

The tut you mentioned does work, but it gives far too much work to do. At the start, simply go to the top menu, Selection->Select by Shading Domain->Skin Face. Then invert selection.

Be sure to save your result under a different name, or you'll overwrite the original.

The head on my avatar was made from two photo's - full face and side view - using a free app FaceWorxs, parented to M4 body.

http://looxis-faceworx.en.uptodown.com/

edited December 1969

Hi again,
    well, I tried Faceshop but I did not get any satisfactory result.
    Can anybody help me with the tutorial (see link in one of my posts above)?
    I just can't make the photo match the 3D head (see the attachement: this is where I am blocked).
    Thank you in advance.

carrara.JPG
    1698 x 993 - 179K
    edited December 1969

It worked for me by following the tut exactly - except for the initial preparation, as I wrote in an earlier post. My ref pic also started out huge. Mine doesn't exactly match because the pic isn't a perfect head-on shot, but was the best I could find quickly.

So glad you found this - opinions expressed in earlier posts was that it was not possible to size the background pic to match a model :)

head.jpg
    501 x 507 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Can you tell me how you managed to give the photo the same size as the 3d head.
    I keep repeating the process but I don't get the part about the grid.
    I set it to different numbers, the size and number of squares change but the picture stays the same.

14-03-2014_18-13-31.png
    708 x 777 - 202K
    edited December 1969

I had to go through a few iterations of re-sizing the grid and aligning the working box to get the sizes matched - finally got it at .18m. This will vary, depending on the size of the reference pic.

head2.jpg
    387 x 405 - 19K
    head1.jpg
    435 x 593 - 107K
    edited December 1969

No way.
    I must be stupid but I can't do it. And yet, when I follow tutos, I usually succeed. I wish it were a video, I would probably get it.

ze.JPG
    372 x 454 - 19K
    edited March 2014

There are some tutos:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=faceshop pro 8&sm=12

Post edited by DUDU on
    edited December 1969

Don't give up so easily!

From what I can see, you are one click away from making it work - once you have the working box sized correctly, which it appears to be, you Ctrl- click on a vertex in the centre of the face, select "align working box" and the next click in an empty space in the viewport will jump the working box to the face.

Have another shot at it!

edited December 1969

I will. Thanks.

• info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 879
    edited March 2014

Hi again,
    well, I tried Faceshop but I did not get any satisfactory result.
    Can anybody help me with the tutorial (see link in one of my posts above)?
    I just can't make the photo match the 3D head (see the attachement: this is where I am blocked).
    Thank you in advance.

Please, please! Be precise - this is NOT Faceshop, OK?
    If you need help with Faceshop, please email [email protected] or see the dozen or so tutorials at
    http://abalonellc.com/watchdemovideo.html
    Laslo

Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited December 1969

I also use free facegen by singular inversion with the paid Genesis exporter
    I have Abalone's faceshop 6 as well which I use EXP exporter and genX to transfer to genesis, the latest version does genesis natively

if you have iClone 3DX5 pipeline you can FBX export iClone iAvatars with iClone made faces too into C8.5 animated using motion plus
    the facial and body animations can be saved as NLA clips after creating an animation group and applied to others of the same generation and bone structure
    IE Chuck to Gwynn
    Jana to Dylan