DS 4.6 can't open DS 4.0 scenes with genesis

All my scenes saved as .daz files from DS 4.0 that include Genesis no longer work with DS 4.6.1.17

Opening file test10.daz...
Error setting pointers while reading file D:/DazProjects/test10.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000

I have reverted to DS 4.1.5.6 and they load perfectly fine... this is very depressing...

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Please report this to DAZ, by opening a Zendesk ticket for Tech Support

• dylyn.prosserdylyn.prosser Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I had the same experience with some fairly old .daz files. Since they were characters in my graphic novel, I was a little freaked out.

Luckily, I had a laptop with Daz Studio 4.5 on it. I loaded them in successfully and saved them in .duf format to a flash drive. When I opened them in DS 4.6, all but one looked just like they should. The one that didn't was a weird one -- a very small figure with the gorilla body morph and several other third-party ones applied.

If you've got a spare PC or laptop that can run DS 4.5, you might give it a try.

• edited December 1969

I had the same experience with some fairly old .daz files. Since they were characters in my graphic novel, I was a little freaked out.

Luckily, I had a laptop with Daz Studio 4.5 on it. I loaded them in successfully and saved them in .duf format to a flash drive. When I opened them in DS 4.6, all but one looked just like they should. The one that didn't was a weird one -- a very small figure with the gorilla body morph and several other third-party ones applied.

If you've got a spare PC or laptop that can run DS 4.5, you might give it a try.

I've already reverted to 4.5, my runtime is over 200 gigs, and I have over 50 .daz files. Replicating that on a different PC just to convert files that should not need conversion is insane. Also this is not the first time a new version threatens to brick everything from the previous one. I used to get angry, now I just get depressed.

I'm not even going to report this on zendesk; during the 4.0x versions they had one where Mike 2.0 stopped working, I reported it, they fixed it, a new version came out that actually fixed it, and after that, the next version broke it again... I realized there wasn't much of a point after that...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

I have the same problem. I'm running 4.6.1.17. Trying to open a saved DAZ scene causes Error setting pointers while reading file I:\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Lady Jewelry actual eyes.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000

I will submit a bug report.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

I seem to have the same issue with most of my old files, a couple actually do open, and one caused a complete crash of DS. I've submitted a bug report as well, with the log file from the crash.

edited December 1969

I received a response from customer support. Their recommendation was that I RECREATE ALL THE SCENES IN DS 4.6!
    When I responded with "You must be kidding", they offered another thing to try, but it hasn't helped at all so far. >:( Customer support also said that just resaving a DAZ scene as DUF is not a full solution, because the DUF can inherit the DAZ problems.

This is my experience so far with trying to open old DAZ scenes:
    1) I can open scenes that do not have Genesis.
    2) I can open one skin texture test scene with Genesis and 3 V4.2s without clothing. Genesis has morphs Basic Female, Voluptuous, and nails length according to Currently Used.
    3) I can open one scene with two V5s, again no clothing. As far as I can tell, V5 had no other morphs.
    4) I haven't found any scenes with clothed Genesis that I can open. They all crash with the error message or crash DS to the desktop with no message.

I wonder if having clothing on Genesis can be part of the problem. Perhaps a change with smoothing or something? Since I almost never create nude scenes, I don't think I have any other Genesis scenes without clothing to try.

I will add this info to my support request and see if I can get any further help. I'm interested to hear if any of you have similar experiences with being able to open some Genesis scenes but not others.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Not Genesis scenes, but I do have occasional failures of old .daz scenes with A3 and H3 figures in them. And it isn't just the figure, sometimes the error message points to the hair, sometimes clothes, sometimes a prop. I have reported it, and I was told it was an instability in the .daz file format — every now and then D|S3 writes a bit of a .daz file that it can read but D|S4.5+ can't read. Apparently the discovery of this was one of the things driving the switch to non-binary .duf scene files, and making everything 100% backwards compatible wasn't practical. Make of that what you will...

In my case, it's fixable, but fiddly. I have to re-open the old scene in D|S3, replace the glitching object from the original Poser-format figure or prop, re-apply poses and textures, and re-save the .daz scene. The only thing wrong with this is that sometimes the glitch is in a .daz scene that was sold as D|S-only, no Poser files. There are a few dynamic clothes I can only use in D|S3.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Could the problem be the again and again updated Genesis starter files?
    Maybe something prevents the opening of older scenes because of differences in Genesis itself?
    Just guessing ...

• edited December 1969

I have similar issues with Daz not opening any save with a Genesis or A5 character. The message states:

Error setting pointers while reading file C:/Users/owner/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Rianna V5.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000

The scene clears.

I suspect the issues will cause Daz users to purchase new products rather than wait for a fix for their old ones. Which is fair, considering the initial cost, $0.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

juels33 said:
    I have similar issues with Daz not opening any save with a Genesis or A5 character. The message states:

Error setting pointers while reading file C:/Users/owner/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Rianna V5.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000

The scene clears.

I suspect the issues will cause Daz users to purchase new products rather than wait for a fix for their old ones. Which is fair, considering the initial cost, $0.

I am not sure, but I know that Genesis Starter Essentials were updated once or twice ... maybe they "fixed" something so it broke old scenes?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I've seen this error on .daz scenes from 4.0 containing clothed Genesis, also -- no problem if Genesis has no clothes.

edited December 1969

I've seen this error on .daz scenes from 4.0 containing clothed Genesis, also -- no problem if Genesis has no clothes.

Yes, I had EXACTLY the same experience! I submitted a help ticket, but really got no solution from DAZ. They said the DAZ format has problems, that is why we changed to DUF.
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I submitted a help ticket, but really got no solution from DAZ. They said the DAZ format has problems, that is why we changed to DUF.

That's pretty much the response I got, except my problems are because of the switchover to the .duf format — D|S3 can read my glitching-in-D|S4 .daz scene files with no problems at all.
  • ktg1ktg1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ugh! I just upgraded to DS 4.6 not knowing any better. Now I have this exact problem - I can't open my old scene files from DS4.0. Has anybody figured out a solution or even a workaround yet?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

Due the the Error updates can Cause I now keep two versions of my Scene files. This is what I do.

I copy all my Scenes to a New Folder and label it the DS Version they were made in.
    I then Copy the Data folder as well... these get moved out of the Content folder later if all works.
    I then Open each scene file in the New Version of DAZ Studio and Save to the Default scene folder.
    I now can go back a version if the Update causes errors and all my files stay in step.
    The Few minuets it takes to do this, well it was mins, its over a hour now, saves me much heartache.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I tried doing as suggested - I moved the 4.0 scene files to a new folder. Then I moved everything in the Data folder (and all subfolders and files) to a new folder. I tried to open a 4.0 scene, but get a new error that it can't a file, and then the same error I've been getting since upgrading to 4.6:
    An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details.
    Not sure if I didn't follow the suggestion right, or if I didn't make clear the issue originally. The issue being the error when trying to open a scene file created in 4.0 (.daz file) using the newer DS 4.6. Error only seems to happen in a scene w/Genesis (M4 only scene is ok). Most all of my scenes have Genesis. Nothing is actually loaded in DS because of the error.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No that was not a fix, I'm saying this is how I keep all my stuff updated with every new DAZ Studio update now. Not that this fixes the old files... I update all my scene files to every (full) version of DAZ Studio as they get updated. I have old files that can not be read. But when I started doing this back with DS4.5 I have not lost any scenes afterwards. They stay updated. It's just a example to keep your files working as things change not a fix for the old ones that can not be loaded.

• edited December 1969

Funny my old thread should surface now; since I mentioned in the measure metrics thread exactly how DS updates have been disastrous and support has been preposterous in the past.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Maybe it would help if you posted the EXACT error message and snippets of the log file.

edited December 1969

Just to restate, the issue is with opening scene files created in DS 4.0. I am now running DS 4.6. It happens on scenes that have the Genesis figure (almost all of my scenes).
    I've made a few attempts at getting this to work. My first attempt was simply to open any such scene file in DS 4.6. The error reads:
    An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details. I've viewed the log file and don't know what most of it means. The line that I think is an error reads:
    Error setting pointers while reading file C:/Users/Jeff/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Scenes40/femElfArcher.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000

Another attempt came after reading Jaderail's post, where the idea seems to be to create new scene files in the new 4.6 format. This was also unsuccessful. I tried to follow the suggestion, specifically doing these steps (all of this under My Library):
    1. I created a new subfolder called Scenes40 and copied all my old scene files there. These are in .daz format.
    2. I created a new subfolder called Data40, and moved all the subfolders and files from the Data folder to Data40. Data is now an empty folder, which I think was the idea to temporarily make it empty. I'm guessing the point of this is to fake out DS and build a scene despite the above issue.
    3. In DS, I opened an old 4.0 scene file. I received 2 errors. The first reads:
    One or more files could not be found while loading file: C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\DAZ3D\Studio\My Library\Scenes40\femElfArcher.daz. Make sure that your DAZ Studio content directories are correctly set in the Content Library > Options Menu > Content Directory Manager. Please see the log file for details. If you save this scene be sure to use File > Save As and save to a new file.

I guess that one was expected. After that I got the same error as before: An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details. I have many lines in the log that look something like:
    Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/geometry/geometry_28f01d39_ad5d_7810_b5f2_4490a976ce72/geometry.dso
    One difference I did notice is that the Scene tab does have the appropriate things listed, unlike my earlier attempt in which the Scene tab was empty. However, at this point in time there is nothing showing in the viewport.

4. I then did a Save As to save this scene as the new format (.duf). Then closed DS.
    5. I moved all the files from Data40 back to Data, where they belong.
    6. Reopened DS 4.6 and tried to open the newly created .duf scene. I got an error:
    Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found:
    But there are not any files listed, just empty space and an Ok button.
    The scene, if you can call it that, is strange. I've attached an image of what it looks like. It should be an elf woman w/long blonde hair, wearing a dress, holding a bow, etc.

I'm open to suggestions for where to go from here.

badScene.png
    1366 x 728 - 207K
    edited December 1969

This might be promising, actually. .duf files are plain text (by default they are compressed, but any program that can open zips can uncompress them so they are readable. That would tell you what data files they're looking for. It might be as simple as copying them into a subfolder of Data called 4_0 or 4_0_2

Try this -- I'm assuming the figure is Genesis? Select it in the Scene tab and then double-click the icon for Genesis in your Content Library/Smart Content. If it asks whether you want to load a new Genesis or replace the existing one, choose replace. Hopefully that will replace it with a default Genesis. Then press Ctrl-Z (undo) and see if that gives you the properly posed and morphed figure.

edited March 2014

Yes, it is genesis. I tried what you suggested - to replace the genesis in the scene with a 'fresh' genesis, but no luck. It looks almost the same.
    I'm thinking the only path forward for me is to have a 4.0 install on my old PC, and keep 4.6 on the newer PC. It would take a while, but I think I could recreate scenes in 4.6 if I at least had the 4.0 version to reference (my old PC is way underpowered for renders tho). Unfortunately, the 4.0 installer is no longer available in my account (only 4.6 is there). Windows 32-bit is what the old PC would need. How do I go about requesting that this installer be put back in my downloads area?

Post edited by ktg1 on
    edited December 1969

You can contact support and see if they can give you the installer for the last 4.0 build.