OT - New Hard-drive woes

RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,747
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Ok....had to get a new hard-drive, so now I have to reinstall everything. What a PITA
I do have the old HD and all its data as a second drive, so all my info is there somewhere.

So right now I am trying to find all my old Firefox bookmarks.
Does anyone know where FF hides the bookmarks so I can copy them over?

Rawn

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,352
    edited December 1969

Good question. I've search and search with no avail.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited July 2012

RawArt said:
    Ok....had to get a new hard-drive, so now I have to reinstall everything. What a PITA
    I do have the old HD and all its data as a second drive, so all my info is there somewhere.

So right now I am trying to find all my old Firefox bookmarks.
    Does anyone know where FF hides the bookmarks so I can copy them over?

Rawn

Windows:
    Documents and Settings\YourUsername\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.XXX

Mac:
    Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xxxx.default

Linux:
    .mozilla/firefox/xxxx.default

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited July 2012

Or Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.XXX for Vista and Windows 7. You will need to either enable the display of hidden files and folders in the Folder Options Control Panel applet or type the path into the Address bar, if it's visible, to get there.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Next time, if you know your going to have to replace your HDD, you can tell FF to export all your book marks to an html file and then import that same html file after the reinstall.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,747
    edited December 1969

Thanx Guys...still not finding it though

I see a l2vzzubg.default in the profiles folder...does that make sense?

I should say I am using vista pro 64

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Next time, if you know your going to have to replace your HDD, you can tell FF to export all your book marks to an html file and then import that same html file after the reinstall.

The plan was to use my current hardrive as the main one again...but the techy guy havily discouraged me from that when I was in the store.
    I think he discouraged it because it would probably be easier to install all the new hardware on the clean empty harddrive.

Rawn

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Thanx Guys...still not finding it though

I see a l2vzzubg.default in the profiles folder...does that make sense?

I should say I am using vista pro 64

That's it. Firefox always gives this type of name to the profile folders. In it you should find also a "bookmarkbackup" folder. You have then two choice.

1 - copy and overwrite everything that is in the folder into your current FF profile folder which has a different name. You'll get back Bookmarks, Navigation history, plugins...everything. But you will lose your current FF profile as you overwrite it

2 - Open FF then click on "show all bookmark". Click on "Import and backup"-> "restore"->"browse" then browse to "l2vzzubg.default\bookmarkbackups" and choose the latest bookmark to restore

The plan was to use my current hardrive as the main one again…but the techy guy havily discouraged me from that when I was in the store.
    I think he discouraged it because it would probably be easier to install all the new hardware on the clean empty harddrive.

It would have been quicker to clone the old one. But a clean install usually gives some performance gain because window"s registry will be less a mess due to installing/deinstalling programs. Hope you bought an SSD btw. That really speeds up things

edited December 1969

awesome...that worked.
    Thanx alot!!!

I may come in with different problems tomorrow when I really start reinstalling LOL

Rawn

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    awesome...that worked.
    Thanx alot!!!

Rawn

Excellent. Glad to see Takeo got you sorted. I had the same problem back in November when I had to get a new laptop because the older one was failing. I happen to save a copy of the latest bookmarks backup .json file every day to a folder on my desktop for easy access, and then I delete the one from the day before. This certainly came in handy.

Instructions said you could only "import" an .html file, but I tried "restore" for the heck of it and saw the "Chose File" below the current date, and that allowed me to browse to where I had my latest backup .json file. Boy was I overjoyed as I have about 15 to 20 yrs worth of bookmarks and would really be at a loss if I couldn't get them back.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Perhaps MozBackup would be useful - it will back up and restore the settings, bookmarks and emails of :
    Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey etc etc...

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

edited December 1969

Best way is to use Firefox sync so that your profile is accessible anywhere through internet

edited December 1969

Looks like I wont be able to change my vista64 back to the classic look I had before.
    I don't know why...but I dont have any of the "Change to classic" things in the control panel to click on anymore...hmmm

Maybe I will just have to get used to the new look :P

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited July 2012

IT sucks you had to get a new harddrive

I had to swap out three of them this year, I believe they came from a bad batch because they were all different brands but purchased around the same time

If you have trouble recovering any info try this program

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

its worked like a charm for me many a time

While we are on the matter of Harddrives I am planning to switch to a pair of hybrid drives

two Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drives

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148837

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited December 1969

Ok...the store buggers got me.

I was wondering why everything was looking different in my OS....I suddenly realized they installed windows7 instead of my vista pro.
    I brought it back to the shop..and they apologised and said if I want vista, they would need the machine for 2 more days (since my vista was pre-servicep pack1 ).....or they would give me a deal on windows 7.
    Yeah...I bit the hook and took win 7 instead of the loss of 2 days work.

geeeezzzzz

Rawn

edited July 2012

I think 7 rocks, also think you will be happy with it.

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited December 1969

IT sucks you had to get a new harddrive

I had to swap out three of them this year, I believe they came from a bad batch because they were all different brands but purchased around the same time

If you have trouble recovering any info try this program

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

its worked like a charm for me many a time

While we are on the matter of Harddrives I am planning to switch to a pair of hybrid drives

two Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drives

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148837

Bought three Momentus XT 500 Go for testing purpose at work and I thought it was very good but after one year of use two of them did show some weakness signs although only used in notebooks. I hope you are luckyer with these models.

@ RawArt : Windows 7 is way better than Vista. Don't go back. Vista pre sp1 was a big failure.

edited December 1969

The good thing about the XT's is that with each generation they get significantly better. From the company increasing the solid state capacity to physical improvements on the drives themselves. the latest ones run very cool and smooth compared to just one or two generations ago.

edited July 2012

I always judge disk upon their reliability. Bought two WD Caviar green and I guess I had no luck. One of them didn't last six month. Here are the actual failure rate for most HDD companies :

- Samsung 1,23%
    - Western 1,63%
    - Seagate 1,89%
    - Hitachi 3,95%

Here are the failure rate for the disks :

- 9,70% Seagate Barracuda XT 3 To
    - 8,94% Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1.5 To
    - 7,53% Seagate Barracuda XT 2 To
    - 7,30% Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2 To
    - 5,78% Western Digital RE4-GP 2 To
    - 5,33% Western Digital Caviar Green 3 To
    - 7,53% Seagate Barracuda XT 2 To SATA 6Gb/s
    - 5,78% Western Digital RE4-GP 2 To
    - 4,53% Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2 To
    - 3,18% Western Digital Caviar Black 2 To
    - 3,07% Western Digital AV-GP 2 To
    - 2,55% Seagate Barracuda LP 2 To
    - 2,31% Western Digital Caviar Green 2 To WD20EARX
    - 2,15% Western Digital Caviar Green 2 To WD20EARS
    - 1,80% Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2 To

As you can see seagate has some of the highest rate so I'm not so confident as the Momentus are half mechanical too. Couldn't find the 750Go failure rate though

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited December 1969

I usually go from my experience and the amount of HDD's I have had to replace at my shop. The ones I get in the most are WD's believe it or not. second are Hitachi and one other brand

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Most of the dead drives I see are WD. A few seagates here and there. Seagate *used* to be horrible, now they seem to be better. I go by the warranty provided, and avoid SATA when a SaS version is available.

Kendall

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

This has been covered, but just to mention:

Also, to clear out bookmarks in a hurry but not toss them all, and/or to sort or store the old ones, you can always "export" the bookmarks to an HTML file where you'd like to keep it.

It'll give you working links in HTML format and it's a fast way to easily view and check them out and still have the list for working with later. Just make two/three copies & store the files somewhere safe in case of a mishap. lol

Later you can open the file in your Firefox and go down it, right click and open links in a new tab and bookmark what you want.

It's an easy way to view and clean out "junk" at a later time and/or keep a working links backup list.
    An easy way to share bookmarks, too. Just send the file.

Listing it here for simplicity. This is for an older version, but I'd think the new one's similar:

Go to the Bookmarks menu.
    Choose Organize Bookmarks.
    There should be "Import and Backup" or similar
    There should be: Backup, Restore, Import HTML, Export HTML
    Choose Export HTML, name file and save where wanted.

Don't forget to make a copy or two and put them in a safe place . . . and where you can find them again. ;-P
    Exporting to the file won't empty out the bookmarks. That'll have to be cleared out through the Organize Bookmarks avenue.

THANKS for the HD failure info, btw. In replacing this Seagate Barracuda that recently went bad, looks like I'll be looking for a Samsung. lol

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

If you want to get back to that Windows 2000 aesthetic -- and really, can't blame you, I use it myself because Aero etc piss me off and distract my generally addled mind -- here's how to do it:

First, right-click on start button, pick "Properties" (or whatever is the equivalent in your chosen language).
    Customize start menu; pick what you want to see and what you don't want to see.
    Then go to "Toolbars" tab, and pick "Quick launch" if you use it.
    Then go to "Taskbar" tab, and pick desired customizations.

Move over to desktop and right-click on empty space on wallpaper. You should be able to see "Personalize", pick it.
    Under Personalize you should be able to see "Basic and High Contrast Themes" and there, Windows Classic.

Back to desktop, right-click, and "Display". You should see yet another Control Panel window, with advanced options hidden. You will probably want to change the icon and font sizes too (hint: they're not in advanced options). Click on the links offered.

Find "Computer" icon wherever it is lurking, right-click on it, and pick "Properties", then "Advanced system settings". Under "Performance", tune to your heart's desire. You might want to turn off DEP and adjust UAC aka User Access Control (in a different place, tho).

Buuut... this way, you should be able to get back to simplified, optimized goodness.

edited December 1969

Thanx guys...useful advice :)

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

RawArt said:
    Ok...the store buggers got me.

I was wondering why everything was looking different in my OS....I suddenly realized they installed windows7 instead of my vista pro.
    I brought it back to the shop..and they apologised and said if I want vista, they would need the machine for 2 more days (since my vista was pre-servicep pack1 ).....or they would give me a deal on windows 7.
    Yeah...I bit the hook and took win 7 instead of the loss of 2 days work.

geeeezzzzz

Rawn

I think you'll find Win7 to be a good choice. I have Vista on my laptop and workstation, but I plan to get Win7 on a new laptop soon when DS4 General Release is uploaded by DAZ.

And I always go for the good old 'Classic'.
    Post edited by Norse Graphics on