creating texture maps in zbrush

PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So I've finally got the latest edition of zbrush installed and I'm starting to get a hang of painting a model in there.

So my question is: Are there any tutorials documenting the workflow using the goz plugin which show how to create texture/displacement maps for Genesis in zbrush?

I have looked but couldn't find what I was looking for...can anyone help?

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

There are plenty on youtube

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Oo Pen I am jealous...zBrush niccccccce!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

zBrush website has a ton of training videos. http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    There are plenty on youtube
    I couldn't find any specifically for genesis using Goz I could only find one for creating morphs...
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Hi Pete, zbrush is a lot of fun. I picked it up when daz had it on special a few years back for pc otherwise I would never have been able to afford it.
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    zBrush website has a ton of training videos. http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/
    Thanks for the link Frank I've been haunting the zclassroom which is why I can finally get this much done...but they have no videos on using Goz for DS only one for photoshop.

I've looked at enough videos and PDFs to realize that the multiple maps are an issue...and I seem to remember a post in the old forums giving a rough outline specifically for genesis but I can't find it when I do a site search or a standard google search. I was hoping that someone would have a link bookmarked to it.
    I've been able to find a written one by five cat which explains how to do it with gen3 but it doesn't use goz...

Thanks for the replies

Pen

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Szark said:
    Hi Pete, zbrush is a lot of fun. I picked it up when daz had it on special a few years back for pc otherwise I would never have been able to afford it.Nice score. I have dabbled with Sculptis for a bit and lust after zBrush. One day maybe.
    edited July 2012

Szark said:
    Pendraia said:
    Szark said:
    Hi Pete, zbrush is a lot of fun. I picked it up when daz had it on special a few years back for pc otherwise I would never have been able to afford it.
    Nice score. I have dabbled with Sculptis for a bit and lust after zBrush. One day maybe.

It is a lot of fun...I did play with it a few years back and go through all the tutorials then but I have forgotten a lot of what I learned so I've been going throught the tutorials again. There have been some changes with 4R3 notably the fibers...which I've been haveing fun playing with.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited July 2012

I don't use goZ, and struggle to understand what makes it usefull.

In zbrush, make your morph. Load it in studio with morph loader. Adjust rig to shape and erc freeze if needed.

Back in zBrush, with your morphed mesh, click autogroup. Shift click figure. Delete hidden.

Click auto group with uv's

Merge groups so that you have your limb group, your face group and a torso group with ears.

Subdivide until you have a few million polygons.

Sculpt in your displacement details and polypaint your texture maps.

Make sure you've got the uv border set to 12 or higher

At the highest subdivision level, shift click the face, create texture from polypainting, clone, flip, and export. Turn that texture off and repeat with limbs and torso.

At your lowest sub division level, do the same with displacement maps.

Use maps in studio.

Post edited by JoeQuick on
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:

In zbrush, make your morph. Load it in studio with morph loader. Adjust rig to shape and erc freeze if needed.

Back in studio, with your morphed mesh, click autogroup. Shift click figure. Delete hidden.

Merge groups so that you have your limb group, your face group and a torso group with ears.

At the highest subdivision level, ship click the face, create texture from polypainting, clone, flip, and export. Turn that texture off and repeat with limbs and torso.

Use maps in studio.

Thank you so much Joe...:-)

At the moment I'm experimenting with using it for texture mapping less problem with the seams when you use a 3D paint program, but I have also been playing with morphs in there. It is very easy to use after following the tutorials. I think I will still be using hexagon for the building of clothing though as I am more familiar with the process.

Thanks and hugs

Pen

edited July 2012

Back in studio, with your morphed mesh, click autogroup. Shift click figure. Delete hidden.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't used autogroup before...where would I find it?

Also I assume that I would send it back to zbrush after merging the groups?

thanks

Pen

Sorry ignore above...I just realised your talking about autogrouping in zbrush.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't used autogroup before...where would I find it?

thanks

Pen

Yeah, I had made a typo earlier and have corrected it.

edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    Pendraia said:

thanks

Pen

Yeah, I had made a typo earlier and have corrected it.

*chuckles...I thought it was me being braindead. lol I've been working on stuff for school all morning and my brain had decided it wanted a break so when I looked at the post again and saw that I thought I better leave it for a day when my brain was working better.

edited July 2012

Pendraia said:
    Frank0314 said:
    Thanks for the link Frank I've been haunting the zclassroom which is why I can finally get this much done...but they have no videos on using Goz for DS only one for photoshop.

I've looked at enough videos and PDFs to realize that the multiple maps are an issue...and I seem to remember a post in the old forums giving a rough outline specifically for genesis but I can't find it when I do a site search or a standard google search. I was hoping that someone would have a link bookmarked to it.
    I've been able to find a written one by five cat which explains how to do it with gen3 but it doesn't use goz...

Thanks for the replies

Pen

Sorry, I completely overlooked that you said Goz. Honestly I can't think of any info out there on GoZ. Let me ask around and see what I can come up with.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

I found this thread on the old forum that has some youtube stuff on it http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=182610&start=20

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Pendraia said:
    Frank0314 said:

Thanks for the replies

Pen

Sorry, I completely overlooked that you said Goz. Honestly I can't think of any info out there on GoZ. Let me ask around and see what I can come up with.
    No problem Frank...I will try the process that Joe provided. Unfortunately I won't get time until the weekend.

Thanks for the link...there was another thread in the old forum on Goz that had a lot of useful info. I just wish I could locate it

Hugs

Pen

• dee_dubdee_dub Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:

Back in zBrush, with your morphed mesh, click autogroup. Shift click figure. Delete hidden.

At the highest subdivision level, shift click the face, create texture from polypainting, clone, flip, and export. Turn that texture off and repeat with limbs and torso.

Use maps in studio.

So Joequick your 2nd instruction "Back in zBrush, with your morphed mesh, click autogroup. Shift click figure. Delete hidden." Delete Hidden? I notice this deleted the Eyeballs and lashes. Is this what is suppose to happen? Why?

I'm new so I'm going to attempt the subject of this post tonight. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated. :D

thanks for your time, dd

• dee_dubdee_dub Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Do you delete the eyeballs and lashes in order not to paint over them?

edited December 1969

Hi dee_dub,

Now I know which thread you referred to in your pm. Sorry I'm not going to be a lot of help. As usual my real life job intervened and I never got chance to try it and when I did get time obviously something else distracted me.

I'm glad you resurrected this thread because I do want to give this a try...

In regard to your question I think your on the right track that it is so they don't get painted over but I can't say for sure.

cheers

Pen