Daz to Maya fbx (Help would be GREAT!)

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello am fan of CGI and have been having certain difficulties in exporting to FBX. To put it simpler I am curious as to whether Daz cgi models: Micheal 3 or Victoria 3 can possibly be exported along to maya or maya motionbuilder with there lipsync capabilities? I know that fbx can transfer textures, skeletons, and animations; but I have yet to discover if the lipsync crosses over. Please a YES or NO would go a long ways in helping me; and if you know any more on the subject, any extra help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

mofradon said:
    Hello am fan of CGI and have been having certain difficulties in exporting to FBX. To put it simpler I am curious as to whether Daz cgi models: Micheal 3 or Victoria 3 can possibly be exported along to maya or maya motionbuilder with there lipsync capabilities? I know that fbx can transfer textures, skeletons, and animations; but I have yet to discover if the lipsync crosses over. Please a YES or NO would go a long ways in helping me; and if you know any more on the subject, any extra help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

no will not

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

Morphs are in principle transferable via FBX, though since I don't have Maya (or anything else much that will make use of an FBX file) I can't give instructions.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

You can add morphs to an FBX export from DS4 with FBX2012 using the "Edit Morphs Export Rules" button in the FBX Options pane. Under "Match" enter "head" and "Action" press "Export". Tested for Genesis and P3DA Lores figures to Lightwave 10 and 11. If you don't edit the Export rules FBX2012 exporter seems to take all the morphs, or at least it does for configurations I use. Mileage seems to vary depending upon target software versions and the exporter version.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited December 1969

no Max or Maya here either :red:
    but morphs work in Unreal game engine UDK via FBX at least from Carrara I found!
    Mimic lite will create lipsync keyfraked facial morphs, Daz studio's lipsync appears limited to studio, I know this from when I had Carrara7pro and tried Dazcollada export from DS3, lipsync did not export, but facial morphs dialed in do.
    interestingly Carrara uses nla clips for it's Mimic plugin and those may export.
    not certain though, I do know nla clips do and so do morphs, not actually tried it yet, intend to.
    I got a DS3 Optitex dynamic clothed V4 bellydancer FBX exported to work with animated cloth in Autodesk FBX converter's viewer
    (crashed UDK)
    mind you I dazcollada imported it into C8.1 NOT C8.5 beta first, saved it as a .car file then FBX exported it from C8.1
    may not work straight from studio.
    I have not really tested it enough,

point I am making, first see what works in Autodesk FBX converter!

• ammon_fde0d92863ammon_fde0d92863 Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

On M3, I did the rule head.Mouth -> export and got the phonemes.

a.png
    726 x 896 - 218K
  • edited December 1969

This will work perfectly! The lipsync would have been nice, but if I could control facial expression manually that would throw me way ahead in my work. Any chance you can tell me how you did this? Your brief instruction wasn't enough for me to do it myself.
    Again the help would be greatly appreciated! :)

• ammon_fde0d92863ammon_fde0d92863 Posts: 119
    edited June 2012

You should be able to use lipsync, as long as it works in Studio , then you should be able to export it out via FBX.

For M3, the Steps should be something like the following:
    1) Do the lipsync things on a M3
    2) File -> Export -> choose fbx as the type -> pick your filename
    3) Make sure Figures, Animations, and Morphs are checked.
    4) Expand the morph list for your character. Note the morphs that show up as animating, see image below.
    5) Cick on Edit Morph Export Rules.
    6) Click Add, a new rule should show up
    7) Change the name under the Match column to something like head.Mouth
    8) Change the Bake under Action to Export
    9) Accept
    10) Look through the morph list again and make sure the animating morphs have a Export(First column) of Yes
    11) Click Accept and watch the export happen.

a.png
    528 x 494 - 25K
    Post edited by ammon_fde0d92863 on
  • nevarrannevarran Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

General rules for exporting morphs are cool. But when I export more then a certain number of morphs (I don't know how much), when I try to import in 3ds max it crashes. Anyone with similar problem? Or even better - a solution?

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

nevarran said:
    General rules for exporting morphs are cool. But when I export more then a certain number of morphs (I don't know how much), when I try to import in 3ds max it crashes. Anyone with similar problem? Or even better - a solution?

Perhaps you are out of RAM? What has worked for me before is to try another version (2010, 2011) of the exporter, or download FBX convert from Autodesk and run the convert through that as an intermediate step.

xporter.png
    391 x 603 - 52K
  • nevarrannevarran Posts: 48
    edited August 2012

I have 24GB of RAM, I'm not sure that's the problem. It crossed my mind tho, so I checked and it crashes before even filling 8gb of it.
    I'll try with different version of the FBX, thanks.
    Edit: Nope, doesn't work with the other versions of the FBX. I guess it's some problem with my PC or the 3ds max.

Post edited by nevarran on
  • edited December 1969

I have another question. Is it possible to export Micheal 4 into Maya 2009 along with morphs capable of facial expression? I've attempted it several times only to fail bitterly. The jaw is the only animation that has succesfully made across the export, however all lip and eye lid movement are totally inert. Anyone know what's going on here, and how to possibly fix it? As always any help would be appreciated. :)

• edited December 1969

Go_Figure said:
    You should be able to use lipsync, as long as it works in Studio , then you should be able to export it out via FBX.

For M3, the Steps should be something like the following:
    1) Do the lipsync things on a M3
    2) File -> Export -> choose fbx as the type -> pick your filename
    3) Make sure Figures, Animations, and Morphs are checked.
    4) Expand the morph list for your character. Note the morphs that show up as animating, see image below.
    5) Cick on Edit Morph Export Rules.
    6) Click Add, a new rule should show up
    7) Change the name under the Match column to something like head.Mouth
    8) Change the Bake under Action to Export
    9) Accept
    10) Look through the morph list again and make sure the animating morphs have a Export(First column) of Yes
    11) Click Accept and watch the export happen.

If I may ask, how to expand the morph list for the character? I can't seem to do that. :S

• edited December 1969

replace fbx plugin for daz otherwise as daz4.5 beta version ... problem solved ..